Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

What's Your Favorite Beer?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A What's Your Favorite Beer?

Viewing 15 posts - 1,471 through 1,485 (of 1,488 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

pretty solid tap list at the Giant Eagle Grandview tonight.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

A few pictures of some of the Breweries I visited last week in Belgium.

de dolle

Cantillon

3 fonteinen

Verhaeghe in Vichte (Duchesse de Bourgogne)

Dupont

Fantome

Oud Beersel

LaTrappe

delirium

good times, but I was so ready for a IPA when I got home.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Nice pictures vestanpance.

One thing I found while tasting other countries micro brews is that we’re all doing the same thing basically. Maybe my palette isn’t as versatile as some on say beeradvocate.com but as I’d try more and more I’d say “yep this is an CBCs IPA.. yep this tastes like [insert microbrew beer here].”

For example Ireland is starting to embrace the microbrew scene and there are some already established like Galway Hooker and trying all of their 6 beers made me feel like I was in Barley’s.

Did you have a similar experience or did these breweries surprise you?

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Nice pictures vestanpance.
    Did you have a similar experience or did these breweries surprise you?

In the bars most of the beers were classic Belgian style quads and tripels. It’s their old style that they have been doing forever. Some microbreweries do them in the states but I’m not sure we have any GOOD examples locally. It’s not really my style of beer anyway so I don’t seek them out.

For the breweries I chose to visit I went for the ones producing gueuze, lambics, and sours because that is the Belgian style I like. I did find after visiting soo many the tastes started to become similar in a lot of ways. But there were some (cantillon) that really stood out above the rest. Again I don’t think we have anyone Locally producing these styles well.

So overall I’d say these places are much different from what we have as far as the beer styles here in Ohio, but grouping them together, a lot of them are very similar to each other.

DouginCMH
    Participant

+1 re: the Cantillon reference. Love that place.

I do think that Rockmill produces some solid versions of classic Belgian styles, though at a price point that means I buy very little of their product.

Anyway, color me jealous. Belgium is a wonderful place to visit (IMHO). Lots of great beer bars, too.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Maine Beer Company officially launches it’s distribution in Ohio this Thursday https://www.facebook.com/events/1603667969886143/

If you haven’t had stuff from them I personally think they are making some of the best beer (specifically IPAs) in the country right now.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Positive developments on the Ohio ABV front!

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/10/29/advocates-for-stronger-beer-find-ally-in-ohio.html

Gotta love the MillerCoors objection.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Just a heads up, the Crest New Years tap list is pretty crazy.

NEW YEARS DRAFT LIST

It’s what you’ve all been waiting for! Here it is, complete! Oooooo weeeee!

Mikkeller/3 Floyds Bla Spogelse

Upright 6

De Du Ciel Aphrodite

Sierra Nevada BA Bigfoot

Rivertown Kriek

Rivertown Triumvirant

Schneider M Homage

Bell’s 30th Anniversary

Alesmith Vietnamese Speedway Stout

Mikkeller Winbic

Prairie Flair

Abbaye de St Bon Chien 2014

Gulden Draak Brewmasters Reserve

DuPont Avec Les Bon Veuex

Thirsty Dog Wulver (BA Wee Heavy)

Omnipollo Noa (BBA Imp Stout)

Gueuze Tilquin <– yes yes more yes.

Epic Big Bad Baptist

Ballast Pt Coconut Victory At Sea

Rivertown Ojos Negros

Alesmith Hawaiin Speedway Stout

Evil Twin /Crooked Stave Ryan and the Gosling

Jolly Pumpkin/Stillwater PinchasDiscos

Hoof Hearted Everybody Wants Some

Hoof Hearted Konkey Dong

Evil Twin Imperial Biscotti Break Natale

JW Lees Harvest 2015

Stillwater/Namada Stoufft

OneBagTravel
    Participant

^import overload! That’s awesome

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

This newest batch of Rollerblabe from Hoofhearted is fantastic, I highly recommend seeking it out form your beer nerd friends.

Also we had a great event Sunday thanks to Meltsintowonder hoarding skills. Thanks man, my wife and I had a great time, and it was really well put together.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I recently rediscovered Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald. To me this is what a porter should taste like. I’m over the chocolate/coffee/vanilla mumbo jumbo.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I’m not much of a beer drinker, but I do really like Jackie O‘s Oatmeal Stout.

And a few weeks ago I was at Lineage and greatly enjoyed several of their less hoppy beers.

I think it’s really just the taste of hops I don’t like. Apparently it may be genetic.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Apparently it may be genetic.

As The Economist puts it: “The passion for hops in American craft beers has taken on the characteristics of an arms race, as brewers try to outdo each other in hoppiness.

I’ve been saying this exact same thing for a few years now.

DouginCMH
    Participant

If all you want to drink are IPAs and their derivatives, sure. The variety is beers (hoppy and otherwise) produced by US craft brewers is wonderfully mind-boggling. I had Ommegang’s “Rosetta” Oud Bruin (really an oud bruin/kriek mix) last week at Growl on High. Damn. Malty, sour/sweet, cherries. Just delicious. There are tons of terrific non-hoppy craft beers out there. This winter has been bursting with a veritable cornucopia of locally-produced stouts and imperial stouts, for instance.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

FYI for my fellow hop heads, Hoof Hearted tapped fresh Konkey Dong at their pub last night. I don’t think they’ve brewed this since last fall? Out of all their beers this and Roller Blabe are my favorite DIPAs

get yourself some.

Beer

Viewing 15 posts - 1,471 through 1,485 (of 1,488 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: