Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Faux Urban Beaches

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Faux Urban Beaches

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Interesting concept… would it work in Columbus?

The Fun Is Real But the Beach Is Not

HENRY GRABARJUL 23, 2012

What makes a beach a beach? In some cases, throwing a little sand on the sidewalk does the trick. In the last couple decades, cities around the world have been creating “urban beaches,” temporary or permanent parks that offer the pleasures of the seaside without the cost of getting there. Generally, they feature sand, reclining chairs, and a more casual dress code than your average park. Some have sand-castle contests, dance lessons, cocktails, volleyball, concerts and more. Check out these seven urban beaches from around the world.

MORE: http://www.theatlanticcities.com/arts-and-lifestyle/2012/07/fun-real-beach-not/2639/

ricospaz
    Participant

This might work better once they remove the Main St dam and the river recedes, leaving a new shoreline downtown. Not sure about the smell, etc though…

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

ricospaz said:
    Not sure about the smell, etc though…

Well, that should be fixed soon too…

OSIS – Underground Tunnel – Downtown Area Odor Control Project

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Man made lagoon in Brisbane, Australia:

MORE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bank_Parklands#Streets_Beach

geoyui
    Participant

I can see something similar to what Toronto created when the 30 acres opens up once the dams are removed. They have a sunbathing section and boardwalk but prohibit swimming.

geoyui
    Participant

Here’s more on the HTO park. There are 8 pics and some project info.

HTO Park in Toronto

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I believe that second photo up in the original post is from the HTO park in Toronto.

Twixlen
    Participant

Walker said:
    Man made lagoon in Brisbane, Australia:

MORE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Bank_Parklands#Streets_Beach

That. Is. Awesome.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

If you want something like that along the Scioto, it would have to be the setup like the first image, where there’s a fence and a drop to the water, because the water level would change all the time. Then you’d have to have rules like no beach toys, or else kids would be losing their balls over the fence.

ETA hot black fence on a sunny day

Pablo
    Participant

We talked about HTO Park several years ago – I think it might work even better with the added parkland coming soon along the river!

OSU Students pitch ways to better city

geoyui
    Participant

Pablo said:
    We talked about HTO Park several years ago – I think it might work even better with the added parkland coming soon along the river!

OSU Students pitch ways to better city

I think what they did with HTO could work well here. The beach is enclosed, no water access, plenty of green space, and it helps create another downtown attraction that highlights the river. I also like how the HTO extends out into the water to allow water craft to dock.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Well, we already have sunbathing on the Oval at OSU. Adding sand there wouldn’t be much of a stretch.

mrmann

NEOBuckeye said:
    Well, we already have sunbathing on the Oval at OSU. Adding sand there wouldn’t be much of a stretch.

Imaging all the stray campus cats using it as a litter tray.

rus
    rus
    Participant

mrmann said:
    Imaging all the stray campus cats using it as a litter tray.

So, bonus. Free tootsie rolls for dogs.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

rus said:
    So, bonus. Free tootsie rolls for dogs.

You sir, are an optimist and a patriot.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: