Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fat Heads Looks To Open Brewpub In Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Fat Heads Looks To Open Brewpub In Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Polis
    Participant

Gil Ligg said:
    Polaris? Really? That is lame. They should look in Clintonville.

One huge issue in Clintonville, at least it used to be an issue, is the commission is not generally open to issuing new beer or liquor licenses. Not that they have the final say, but the city and county tend to listen to their recommendations. Of course the Wine Bistro is moving in, so perhaps things are changing.

Edit: I cannot wait for Fatheads to come to town!

Anonymous
    Inactive

The pub brewer for Fatheads told another brewer friend at Beerfest that there had been some discussion of the possibility and that Matt had been misunderstood in a recent publication. So I wouldn’t expect anything to happen too quickly. Having said that, I believe if a brewery opens in a wet precinct they can get a liquor license even if there are none available. I believe Clintonville does still have big dry patches, though.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the major issue with much of Clintonville (and other communities) that’s dry is that you need an address (own the property or have a lease) and then you put it on the ballot for approval by the community. Most new businesses can’t sign a lease and then wait months to find out if they can get a liquor license. For The Wine Bistro, it’s a business owned by the developer so they have space and time. When the Old Bag moved into Westerville, they went a while without alcohol. This makes most of Clintonville unappealing to bars and restaurants.

Kahiki

meltsintowonder said:
    Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I think the major issue with much of Clintonville (and other communities) that’s dry is that you need an address (own the property or have a lease) and then you put it on the ballot for approval by the community. Most new businesses can’t sign a lease and then wait months to find out if they can get a liquor license. For The Wine Bistro, it’s a business owned by the developer so they have space and time. When the Old Bag moved into Westerville, they went a while without alcohol. This makes most of Clintonville unappealing to bars and restaurants.

That makes a ton of sense. It explains why most of the spots where you can find good beer are existing businesses that happened to add beer later on (Smith’s Deli, Northstar, etc).

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION