Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fast Food Workers Strike for Living Wage

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Fast Food Workers Strike for Living Wage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Life isn’t fair, lets strike!

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

alexs said:
    I’m looking for online work, and finding things like “Compensation: Experience” meaning I’m trying to compete with people who are working for free.

OK that’s extreme, but as another example, write 500-word articles for $7 each, up to five articles per day – so crank out 2500 words and earn $35/day max.

I never followed through with it, but I looked at the online jobs doing search engine reviews. They seemed pretty legit and pay was around 12 bucks an hour.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Fast food work is not a career. As others said, it is unskilled work, supposed to give you experience in a work environment so you can move on.

DavidF
    Participant

Snarf said:
    Life isn’t fair, lets strike!

Yeah, screw everybody who isn’t lucky! Besides, we all know that if we keep consolidating wealth among a very few people the rest of us will benefit! Stop oppressing the successful!

Oh yeah, some generic platitude about they only have to work harder or get into the right business program (or inherit grandma’s wealth) to be successful so they have no one to blame but themselves!

kit444
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:
    Fast food work is not a career. As others said, it is unskilled work, supposed to give you experience in a work environment so you can move on.

Unfortunately it’s not working that way for a lot of people.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/29/216495125/for-restaurant-workers-a-struggle-to-put-food-on-the-table

[i]Traditionally, the food and restaurant industry has been an entry point for young people, who then move up. But today, according to government figures, the average such employee is 29 years old.[/i]

Graybeak
    Participant

Again, I am a bit fuzzy on the whole striking when you are not in a union.

No call, no show, no job tomorrow.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

kit444 said:
    Unfortunately it’s not working that way for a lot of people.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2013/08/29/216495125/for-restaurant-workers-a-struggle-to-put-food-on-the-table

[i]Traditionally, the food and restaurant industry has been an entry point for young people, who then move up. But today, according to government figures, the average such employee is 29 years old.[/i]

Still, get the experience, and get out for greener pastures. The wages are low because it is unskilled work.

Jman4ever
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    I think 15 is kind of ridiculous, but so is 7.25. I could see 10-12 an hour making sense (as there’s companies who are successful now paying their unskilled labor that kind of rate).

Yeah, basic negotiating tactic ask for more than you want. If you get it great, but never ask up front for your final number. Totally get this.

groundrules
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:
    Still, get the experience, and get out for greener pastures. The wages are low because it is unskilled work.

what sort of experience is had in fast food that preps you for an additional career (outside of FF management)?

The ONE time reviewed a resume where the candidate had put down her time at McDonalds, everyone in the room looked at each other and said ‘why would she include that here?’

NerosNeptune
    Participant

TaraK said:
    Unskilled or not, I think folks working 40 hrs. a week should be able to make a living wage from that. Rather than a blanket raise hike, I’d prefer a restaurant workers’ union/guild/whatever where folks working 40 hours are considered full-time, paid a decent wage, given benefits. As is the bulk of fast-food workers are split between two jobs and working more than that for crap.

Then they just wouldn’t hire anybody full time.

Jman4ever
    Participant

groundrules said:
    what sort of experience is had in fast food that preps you for an additional career (outside of FF management)?

The ONE time reviewed a resume where the candidate had put down her time at McDonalds, everyone in the room looked at each other and said ‘why would she include that here?’

Considering that gaps in employment history are often suspect, I could see that going in.

I suppose (i.e. this is a stretch argument) that they want to note their entire work history for companies that perform background checks don’t observe untruths in their resume.

Or at an even bigger stretch, I guess it speaks to time management, commitment to their family, etc… when times are tough.

wygand
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Again, I am a bit fuzzy on the whole striking when you are not in a union.

No call, no show, no job tomorrow.

Isn’t that how Unions start? A group of people have jobs, don’t think they are compensated or treated well, then they walk out and demand the right to unionize.

The other main point people seem to be making is that $15 an hour is too much. Its a negotiation, nobody starts a negotiation with where they expect to end up, come on.

ctonn
    Participant

If you can’t survive on $7.25/hr, how do you expect to survive on $0/hr?

I don’t believe in a minimum wage, because it is an unnecessary restraint on a businessperson’s right to run his/her business as they see fit.

Pay the wage earner what they are worth. Let the market decide.

When I was in high school, minimum wage was in the $5/hr range (mid-90’s). And many of my classmates took fast food jobs that paid right around there.

But one business decided to start their wage at a higher rate, even for us 16 year olds. A whopping $7/hr. They were able to be a bit more selective and hire better workers, and we had less turnover.

Market forces at work.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Yeah, screw everybody who isn’t lucky! Besides, we all know that if we keep consolidating wealth among a very few people the rest of us will benefit! Stop oppressing the successful!

Oh yeah, some generic platitude about they only have to work harder or get into the right business program (or inherit grandma’s wealth) to be successful so they have no one to blame but themselves!

Eesh, there’s a big mouthful of shit I didn’t say.

Also the idea that wealth is generated through mere luck is both problematic and likely representative of the feelings of those fast food working strikers.

Oh woe is me, I’m just not lucky or something!

kit444
    Participant

ctonn said:
    If you can’t survive on $7.25/hr, how do you expect to survive on $0/hr?

Or $3 or $4 an hour, which is more likely if there’s no minimum wage.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 49 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: