Our City Online

Messageboard - Music

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Fashion Meets Music Festival 2015

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Music Fashion Meets Music Festival 2015

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

FMMF Announces 2015 Music Lineup
    March 26, 2015 1:04 pm – Walker Evans

The Fashion Meets Music Festival will return for its second year on September 5th and 6th, and the festival officially announced it music lineup today, which includes headliners AWOLNATION, Young The Giant, Taking Back Sunday, Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness and more.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/fmmf-announces-2015-music-lineup

—————–

FMMF Announces Fashion Lineup & More Music for 2015 Festival
    April 7, 2015 12:37 pm – Walker Evans

The Fashion Meets Music Festival will return on September 5th and 6th to Columbus, and while the initial lineup of musicians were announced last month, the fashion side of the bill is starting to take shape today. Representatives from FMMF revealed that a mix of local, regional and national designers will have runway shows at the event, including Linda Rowe Thomas and Kahindo Mateene from Project Runway, Celeste Malvar-Stewart, Esther Myong Hall, Cierra Lauren, Katelyn McClain, Bryston Walters, Lydia Hopmann and others.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/fmmf-announces-fashion-lineup-more-music-for-2015-festival

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

What no Chris Brown!? :(

theadocj
    Participant

Overall I wish it successful, just not sure how it’s going to get there. Everyone told them it would be too spread out, they did it anyway and it was terrible. Everyone realized it shouldn’t be 3 days long, don’t care made it 3 days. At least now they are listening to the criticism of the first year and supposedly moving the fashion closer and they’ve shortened it to 2 days. But going from free to $45 per day when there’s really only 1 or 2 mid-range acts you would normally pay ~$15-20 to see any other given day…just going to tell you the crowds are going to be sparse once again. Also, they have to be kidding putting OAR back on the bill.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’ve heard of 4 of the bands listed.

Rodgers
    Participant

At least they aren’t trying to be all things to all people this year in terms of the line-up. They also needed to start small, so scaling back the number of acts is a step in the right direction. I also hope this means that they aren’t spreading the events out all over the northern downtown like last year.

That said, take a look at the line-up of the Bunbury Festival in Cincinnati and compare that to this line-up. Day passes for Bunbury cost $65. I’m all about paying for quality, but the FMMF line-up is anemic in comparison. When you pair that with the fact that none of the FMMF shows will be free, I can’t see how this is a better formula for success.

Do we know if there was ever any change in management of the festival? I ask because about three days after FMMF announced their lineup a couple of weeks ago, one of the acts – Father John Misty – backed out of the festival due to “contractual differences.” Yes, management went to the press with a lineup that wasn’t locked down yet, which doesn’t exactly instill confidence in management’s ability to make FMMF a success this year. For the sake of bringing bigger acts to the city down the road, I hope that lack of confidence is unfounded.

I’ve heard of 3. And I try to find all kinds of new music out there.

RedStorm
    Participant

This sucks. Like posters above – I want it to be successful but WTF is this?

It’s obvious they didn’t bring enough revenue in from the FASHION portion last year. I also see they dropped the camp site option. As for the acts, I know six of the ones listed so far (is that good? I don’t know). Two days instead of three, I guess because it was a fail last year. Don’t know the specifics, but uh…could we just drop the fashion piece and still have a successful festival in the AD?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

In addition to only knowing 4 acts on the bill, there isn’t a single one that actually makes me want to go.

They couldn’t get a single solid, currently-trending act on the entire bill?? Cincinnati’s Bunburry Festival looks like Lollapalooza or Coachella in comparison (Black Keys, Avett Brothers, Snoop Dogg, Tame Impala, Twenty One Pilots, The Decemberists, Atmosphere, Matt & Kim, Manchester Orchestra, Bleachers, Father John Misty, etc etc etc).

I’m not trying to be contrarian or pessimistic, but FMMF’s lineup is a complete head-scratcher.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Cool story, GRANDPA! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…could we just drop the fashion piece and still have a successful festival in the AD?

As a completely unfashionable guy, I completely disagree with this. The fashion component is what differentiates this from the hundreds of other music festivals around the country. I’d love to see that piece of it grow in scope and scale beyond just what the music component entails.

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

They couldn’t get a single solid, currently-trending act on the entire bill?? Cincinnati’s Bunburry Festival looks like Lollapalooza or Coachella in comparison (Black Keys, Avett Brothers, Snoop Dogg, Tame Impala, Twenty One Pilots, The Decemberists, Atmosphere, Matt & Kim, Manchester Orchestra, Bleachers, Father John Misty, etc etc etc). FMMF’s lineup is a complete head-scratcher.

Good question. You have to wonder. Maybe they burnt bridges with big promoters with the poor turnout and with cancelling on the supposed headliner last year. More charitably, maybe its just hard to find known acts to play labor day weekend.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>RedStorm wrote:</div>
    …could we just drop the fashion piece and still have a successful festival in the AD?

As a completely unfashionable guy, I completely disagree with this. The fashion component is what differentiates this from the hundreds of other music festivals around the country. I’d love to see that piece of it grow in scope and scale beyond just what the music component entails.

I’m just not sure that it’s a recipe for success and has any sustainability. The event might be victim to having an identity crisis.

Is it possible that the Venn Diagram of people who are interested in both music AND fashion is too small to make it work? I don’t know the answer, I’m just guessing that it might be an issue working against the overall growth of the event, long-term.

I just want to see bands, personally, but I fully understand that Columbus holds an important place in the fashion world, despite it’s unlikely location in Ohio. I also obviously want anything with ties to Columbus to succeed and proliferate. I’m just not sure if there’s a great way to combine the two worlds, and if this company are the ones to show us the way. I’d like to see it work and succeed.

theadocj
    Participant

They couldn’t get a single solid, currently-trending act on the entire bill?? Cincinnati’s Bunbury Festival looks like Lollapalooza or Coachella in comparison

Hit the nail on the head there. I don’t think people realize how lucky we are to have a promoter in town (PromoWest) that is as good at what they do as PW is. They get the right shows, they get them at the right time, they put them in the right-sized venues. They were so good they expanded to Pittsburgh because no one their had a clue what they were doing. Then they bought Bunbury because they saw the potential for an Ohio valley Lolla-esque festival. What did the FMMF people do when they wanted to start a fest in Columbus? Think they could do it better and completely without PW. Well, the pic of one dude dancing to a band at last year’s fest shows you how they worked out. But they are lawyers, not promoters, so they have no clue what they’re doing. And I think the people on this board know when something will hit or miss in Cbus, and it sounds like everyone is on the same page. Miss.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Is it possible that the Venn Diagram of people who are interested in both music AND fashion is too small to make it work?

Honestly, I’m not sure if it’s too small, or if it even matters that there is overlap between the two audiences at all. I imagine that not everyone attending SXSW (not that I’m comparing it to FMMF) is mutually interested in music and film and venture capital pitch events for tech startups.

I do think that FMMF has the bones to grow into something pretty amazing and that it shouldn’t be judged too harshly based on year one. Just my 2 cents.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’m guessing that it can work, it’s just that the people behind FMMF have no idea what they’re doing in terms of booking and having any clue of the current music landscape. If they had solid acts there would certainly be buzz & excitement.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Music’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: