Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Faith Mission

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Faith Mission

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Downtown Mission Dealing With Increasing Need, Costs

Thursday March 8, 2012 7:03 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Faith Mission downtown is dealing with an increase in people who come in for assistance, 10TV News reported Thursday. The organization serves three meals a day to hundreds of people but the economy has hit them hard.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/03/08/columbus-faith-mission.html

groundrules
    Participant

ya know, I get hit up for tons of charitable donations from a million organizations via mail all the time. Usually high pressure, pics of animals, or stupid return address labels, and they all ask often and for a lot. I found it really refreshing when Faith Mission sent a single small request for $12. Hell yeah I can give 12 bucks to provide the simple service of food. Feeding people seems like the most basic and universal acts of charity, and a modest request was easily fulfilled.

leftovers

It provides a great service and is much needed. Having worked around there I know a lot of poor really depend on their services and make it a focal point. It is a great resource downtown. It does give me pause sometimes when I see all the people congregating before meals.

meltsintowonder
    Participant

I’ve donated money to Faith Mission for that very reason…the dollars put food in people’s mouths and just a little bit helps. A few years ago, I also volunteered on Easter Sunday to serve about 100 people for lunch. Very rewarding experience and I highly recommend it to all, especially if you’re not able to donate dollars. It’s time well spent and very fulfilling to be able to reach out to people in our community who are in need.

mrpoppinzs

I am hoping that charities like this will start seeing more $$ as places like Neighborhood Launch and the Hills Market start setting up shop. I think it will be easier to raise money as downtown grows into more of a neighborhood.

Pablo
    Participant

Does anyone think that Faith Mission will be forced out of the area as places like the Neighborhood Launch apartments (right next door) and the Hills Market open?

mrpoppinzs

I do not think the homeless are going to leave because some more wealthy people are moving in next door. I would hope the Faith Mission will stay as long as there is a need.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:
    Does anyone think that Faith Mission will be forced out of the area as places like the Neighborhood Launch apartments (right next door) and the Hills Market open?

I don’t think they’ll be *forced* out per se. But if their current facilities are in adequate, a relocation to better facilities may be in order regardless of new next door development.

mrpoppinzs

The article mentions nothing about the current facilities being inadequate. The issue is that food prices have been going up. I have always thought that is a good central location near the job help services of the Main Library and other social services such as provided by the YMCA, etc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Oh, sorry… I wasn’t referencing the article… just something else I’ve heard in passing about the buildings there. Not an issue I’ve looked into, but will be soon.

mrpoppinzs

Uggh, I hope they aren’t moving. They really helped an acquaintance of mine when he hit bottom.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

leftovers said:
    It does give me pause sometimes when I see all the people congregating before meals.

In what ways ? Is it because there are so many hungry people, or is it because there are so many people ‘not trying hard enough’ to fend for themselves, or maybe both?

leftovers

So many hungry people in a city that has so much wealth, though I realize money alone will not fix all of the problems. That whole there by the grace of something, go I.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t think they’ll be *forced* out per se. But if their current facilities are in adequate, a relocation to better facilities may be in order regardless of new next door development.

Well, it’s happened before. The Open Shelter on W. State was forced to move when COSI opened next door.

misskitty
    Participant

Walker said:

So essentially, it is not forcing someone out if the City could find enough issues with the current building structure and codes so they could deem the property unusable and tell them to move.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.