Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Explorers Club is closed, focusing on food truck and catering

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Explorers Club is closed, focusing on food truck and catering

• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by News.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

via email

Quote:
    As the demand for the food truck heats up, the brick-and-mortar Explorers Club has decided to suspend lunch service for the time being starting September 3rd. Patrons can keep up with the comings and goings of the truck by friending Explorer’s Club on facebook or following its every move on streetfoodfinder.com.

By leaving lunch to the mobile arm of the operation, chef Dan Varga is free to concentrate on dinner and the debut of a new, ever-changing, menu of nightly bar small bite specials. Recent choices include rib eye skewers, mini caprese salads, and fried bologna pops with mango habanero sauce. Additionally, happy hour now runs from 4-6 p.m., with expanded dinner hours through 10 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Dinner is served 5-9 on Sundays. As always, the city’s best brunch is served up Saturday and Sunday, 9-2 p.m.

While the restaurant will be dark during lunch hours, it is still available for lunch parties of 15 or more. The holiday season is coming and Explorers Club is a fun and fabulous spot for office get-togethers. To get on the calendar, call 614.725.0155 and ask for Tracy Studer.

Explorers Club is located at 1586 S. High St. in historic Merion Village.

explorers-club-04.jpg

http://explorersclubmv.com/

groundrules
    Participant

Anne said:
    As always, the city’s best brunch is served up Saturday and Sunday, 9-2 p.m.

chaptal
    Participant

Waiting for Gil Ligg to say the end is near for Explorer’s Club.

tolemac5050
    Participant

It appears the Explorer’s Club has closed, and will concentrate on the food truck.

Anne Evans
    Anne Evans
    Keymaster

Via Facebook update from 6/27/15:
    “It is with a heavy heart that Orlando and I must announce the closing of the Explorers Club. For the last four years the restaurant has been “the little engine that could” for all of us here on the South Side but after much deep thought, exhaustion and the recognition of fiscal realities we must, for now, leave the brick and mortar part of the business and concentrate on our food truck and catering businesses. We would like to take this opportunity to thank our patrons, our staff and the neighborhood for helping us and supporting us. We deeply appreciate all of you and we will miss all of you. Please come and visit us at our food truck where we will continue to serve our Latin inspired cuisine.
    Thank you,
    Tracy and Orlando”

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Shame – my last several visits the food has been mostly good but the management and service a train wreck.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

the management and service a train wreck.

This is why I only went once.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I never had any issues with service. Sometimes it was a little slow during brunch, but it always seemed to be really busy at that time, so I chalked it up to them being slammed.

Gonna miss the chilaquiles there. :(

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

We also only went there once. I had a very bland braised meat dish. My wife had a pasta. Her quote at the time was “I wish then gave me some noodles to go with all this sauce.”

Very underwhelming, especially after all the hype over this place.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I used to really enjoy Explorer’s Club. It would often be the place I’d take out of town family and guests for a fun, casual dinner.

The last few times I went, I could tell things were going downhill. A few weeks ago I went at 7pm on a Friday night and there were only 2 other people there.

I’ll miss the better times of this restaurant. Hopefully they have better luck with the food truck.

News
    Participant

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!