Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Excite Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Excite Columbus

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Wickham

It is time for a change in downtown Columbus. It is time for blank building walls and empty sidewalks to no longer be an acceptable part of the landscape. It is time for downtown to be a neighborhood that people want to be a part of and spend their free time in.

An easy way to create this atmosphere downtown is to fill the vast amount of dead spaces in the area with different forms of Urban Art. Whether it be statues, fountains, lights, paintings, or vegetation, there are many ways to make our urban core more exciting to be a part of. I have created a facebook page to share my ideas on the dead space in Downtown Columbus and what we could do to them to create a buzz for downtown.

Come check out my video and my personal ideas and let me know what you think of them. Please add any ideas of your own to the site and maybe your idea can get the city of Columbus and downtown building owners to take pride in their buildings and “Excite” Columbus. Join me in helping to find different ways to make the downtown atmosphere exciting once more!

See Link Below:

Excite Columbus

Wickham

Also here is a link straight to the video via YouTube for those who don’t want to go through Facebook.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

More public art is always a good thing.

I believe the big wall at Columbus Commons is going to be partially obscured by a band/amphitheater “shell” so it could be interesting to have some art that plays off of that.

Wickham

Thanks Walker. Yea, the stage would cover up a little bit, but by no means the whole thing. There will be plenty of blank wall above the stage that could be used in my opinion. Also, while a concert stage can be great to bring in crowds for shows it is a constant draw that a person in the area would wan to come check it out.

When I was doing this project I kept questioning the simplicity of it, as it is really obvious that the more public art there is the better. I decided to go through with it though because if it is so obvious, why is Columbus lacking so much in this area? As much as Columbus has done a great job sparking development downtown with tax incentives I think the city is totally neglecting the basic aspect of improving the overall atmosphere with smaller/cheaper projects.

Ezmerelda74
    Participant

Wickham, I think your project is great! I think that this is some of the “gloss” that Columbus lacks that inhibits it from being enticing, not just for our citizens, but our visitors. I was not a proponent of the new park downtown, but my side didn’t win. So with the park in place, I think it is time to make it something special and public works of art must be the first step!

Ezmerelda74
    Participant

Wickham, I think your project is great! I think that this is some of the “gloss” that Columbus lacks that inhibits it from being enticing, not just for our citizens, but our visitors. I was not a proponent of the new park downtown, but my side didn’t win. So with the park in place, I think it is time to make it something special and public works of art must be the first step!

Wickham

Ezmerelda74 wrote >>

Thanks for the vote of confidence Ezmerelda74! I have always been a proponent of turning City Center into a park or public square, but I am just not thrilled with putting a “permanent” stage in to attract visitors for the park. Every successful urban square I have been fortunate enough to visit has a permanent 24/7 attraction or public artwork that is a constant draw to the area at any time of the day.

A stage however is only for special occasions and will bring people in every once in a while. Having a major public artwork on the south side of the Ohio Theatre doesn’t necessarily mean you still can’t hold concerts or shows there either. Many city squares in Europe just install temporary stages for major events as they are cheap, easily constructed and don’t require any maintenance. I just think Columbus is missing the boat on a chance to install something much more impressive and exciting that can be a huge draw for the Columbus Commons and downtown as a whole.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: