Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ever thought about giving up Soap & Shampoo Forever?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Ever thought about giving up Soap & Shampoo Forever?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Interesting stuff…

I’ve given up using soap & shampoo forever

BY SEAN BONNER – FEBRUARY 1, 2010

POSTED IN: ARTICLES, PHILOSOPHY

Towards the end of December I came across an article written by a guy who had given up on using soap and was now washing himself with water alone. My immediate thought was this must be some dirty hippy and I felt sorry for anyone who lived or worked in close proximity to him – however I was interested in why someone would make a choice like this so I sat down and read both the article and the extremely long comment thread which made much more sense than I expected it to. If you have some time I recommend reading it though the author, Richard Nikoley, is active in the paleo-scene so a lot of the comments reference those ideas. But this post isn’t about that article, it’s about my own experiences.

READ MORE: http://blog.seanbonner.com/2010/02/01/ive-given-up-using-soap/

I always just thought Andrew WK was a little crazy…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lnEFwLuiCQ

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

I don’t use q-tips. I think they promote ear wax vs. having a natural thin film of it.

Shampoo though? I like the Herbal Essence, damn it’s invigorating.

manticore33
    Participant

Don’t forget our water system is treated with chlorine. The water does the disinfecting for you! And it helps your teeth!

I will admit to switching to an all natural soap with tea tree oil I found at Raisin Rack for $2.30/bar. I have used it for a week now and love it. That said, I started using a natural goat’s milk soap for shaving and it is fantastic! Extremely nice lather and super slick.

Real soap only for me now please.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

I don’t use Q-tips either, you should never stick anything smaller than a finger into your ear. Of course, Romans used ear-scoops to clean the wax out of their ears, and they also didn’t use soap (instead applying olive oil and scraping it off to exfoliate and remove dirt, IIRC)… I forget where I was going with this, Andrew WK rules.

misskitty
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    Of course, Romans used ear-scoops to clean the wax out of their ears,blockquote>

I use those awesome Ear Scoops. I get them from the Doctor for cleaning out ears. They are the best thing ever. So fresh and clean ;)
    I have tried to give up shampoo’s but the results are not favorable at all. It’s pretty gross and honestly some people should never leave the soap behind.

Twixlen
    Participant

A few years ago, I discovered that the ingredient Sodium Laurel Sulfate & all it’s cousins and I don’t get along. I switched back to standard castile-style bar soap, and use shampoos/conditioners/cleansers/everything that doesn’t have that ingredient present.

I am the weird girl at work with a bar of soap on a dish in the ladies room.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    I don’t use q-tips. I think they promote ear wax vs. having a natural thin film of it.
    Shampoo though? I like the Herbal Essence, damn it’s invigorating.

You like the herbal? whod’a thunk.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

The chloride concentration in the water (a few parts per million) is not enough to kill anything except INSIDE THE PIPES where the bacteria is in contact with unaerated water for long periods of time.

Proper hand washing with soap is one of the major factors that has dramatically reduced infection rates and increased lifespans in every part of the world where it has become common.

Overuse of soap can dry out your skin, underusing soap can encourage transmission of a number of illnesses.

I think I’ll take my chances with dry skin, thanks.

Sandersen

Rockmastermike wrote >>
    The chloride concentration in the water (a few parts per million) is not enough to kill anything except INSIDE THE PIPES where the bacteria is in contact with unaerated water for long periods of time.
    Proper hand washing with soap is one of the major factors that has dramatically reduced infection rates and increased lifespans in every part of the world where it has become common.
    Overuse of soap can dry out your skin, underusing soap can encourage transmission of a number of illnesses.
    I think I’ll take my chances with dry skin, thanks.

Amen.

tourist19
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

I want these[/url] to actually be made and sold.

rus
    rus
    Participant

tourist19 wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

Hmmm… have to check my notes, but it is possible to just make soap flakes directly. Think one batch I make was very crumbly because I used less water than I should have; still worked as soap and wasn’t too harsh.

Might be easier than working a cheese grater to wash your hands.

Twixlen
    Participant

rus wrote >>

tourist19 wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

Hmmm… have to check my notes, but it is possible to just make soap flakes directly. Think one batch I make was very crumbly because I used less water than I should have; still worked as soap and wasn’t too harsh.

I had visions of standing in the shower, Microplaning soap onto myself.

It’s been a slow afternoon.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen wrote >>

rus wrote >>

tourist19 wrote >>

Twixlen wrote >>

I had visions of standing in the shower, Microplaning soap onto myself.
    It’s been a slow afternoon.

Why yes, yes it has been a slow afternoon.

Twixlen
    Participant

The sidenote to that post was trying to explain to the emergency room exactly what happened.

eatsyou

I gave up deodorant about six years ago. I have noticed that I am less sticky, sweaty and smelly in my under pits, the wife has yet to complain. Also, I did a test of no shampoo for three months and my hair started to turn out pretty rad! no smell and zero dandruff after the first two weeks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS