Our City Online

Messageboard - Nightlife

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ethyl & Tank - New Bar / Arcade / Restaurant / Coffee Shop

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Nightlife Ethyl & Tank – New Bar / Arcade / Restaurant / Coffee Shop

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Ethyl & Tank Coming to Campus

Published on February 7, 2014 2:00 pm

By: Ayana Wilson

The name may seem strange, but the concept is quite familiar. Ethyl & Tank, located at 19 East 13th Avenue on the campus of The Ohio State University, is poised to fully open this February. It’s a combination bar/restaurant/café/arcade, a formula that should sound familiar to fans of recently-opened 16-bit Bar+ Arcade.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/ethyl-tank-coming-to-campus-aw1

News
    Participant

First Look: Ethyl & Tank
    Published on February 13, 2014 8:00 am
    By: Ayana Wilson

This past weekend, Ethyl & Tank, campus’ latest multi-spot venue, opened with little advertisement and lots of hype. Curious customers came out in droves to check out the coffeehouse/bar/restaurant/arcade, located at 19 East 13th Avenue, which is still under slight construction.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/first-look-ethyl-tank-aw1

groundrules
    Participant

seems weird to have branded the coffee side Ethyl when the alcohol side is RIGHT there. Maybe they ain’t chemists :)

dru
    Participant

groundrules said:
    seems weird to have branded the coffee side Ethyl when the alcohol side is RIGHT there. Maybe they ain’t chemists :)

i am assuming coffee = Ethyl = get fueled up
    while liquor = Tank = get tanked

groundrules
    Participant

dru said:
    i am assuming coffee = Ethyl = get fueled up
    while liquor = Tank = get tanked

i was guessing something like that, but the ethyl alcohol is what makes the liquor fun.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m just happy that this place has a weird/unique name. ;)

dru
    Participant

Walker said:
    I’m just happy that this place has a weird/unique name. ;)

what? you didn’t want Club 19/13 instead?

Hi guys. I’m from Opal Stackhouse and I did the interior design work for this place. Here’s a little more info on the name.
    The name comes from a truck stop in Georgia called Tank Car. Tank car was a one-stop spot for truckers back in the day. A place to get a meal and a shower and a cup of coffee. The space was demolished earlier this year, but not before we snagged the neon signs ethyl and tank. The signs hanging behind the bar and in the cafe are the real original signs from the gas station.
    Some other stuff from inside (mainly neons) also came from the same truck stop, like the neon letters that light the rafters of the arcade. those were the original gas price signs.
    I do like the idea of Ethyl being the bar side, and believe me lots of thought went into it, but what I liked was that it seemed to me that either name could work on either side. A cup of ethyl can have some alcohol in it too, right? i do believe they serve liquor in that coffee shop.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Thanks for the extra info Ashley! Very cool! :D

News
    Participant

Ethyl & Tank | Columbus, OH
    Posted on April 30, 2014 by Breakfast with Nick

Have you heard about this newer place called Ethyl & Tank? It’s a coffee shop close to Ohio State’s campus. Oh, it’s also a bar with a solid 40 taps of beer. And they’re a restaurant serving burgers, tacos, and brisket. Plus, they’ve got an arcade.

Yes, Ethyl & Tank is a little bit of everything, established to serve the student population surrounding them, but accessible to everyone.

READ MORE: http://breakfastwithnick.wordpress.com/2014/04/30/ethyl-tank-columbus-oh/

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

My wife and I went here saturday around noon. No problem getting a seat even though it was filled with marathon runners. I had the southwestern scramble and she had the biscuits and gravy. Both were really good, and really filling.

fully endorse.

(oh and the have MK2 machine. which is IMO the best in the series)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Nice! I figure we’ll make it up sometime this summer to check it out now that the student population has died down a bit. ;)

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Nice! I figure we’ll make it up sometime this summer to check it out now that the student population has died down a bit. ;)

Starting today it’s a ghost town.

News
    Participant

Happy hour review: Ethyl & Tank confidently mixes classy with casual
    By Abernathy Miller Columbus Alive
    From the May 8, 2014 edition

A few years ago, the only reason to head to E. 13th Street was to buy a ferret or a bong. Luckily for us, that’s changed. Ethyl & Tank’s (19 E. 13th St.) competitive food and drink specials and welcoming atmosphere finally lets the non-college crowd enjoy living-on-student-loans prices without the obnoxious frat-boy atmosphere. The Crest’s hip little brother has masterfully balanced the class-to-casual ratio, making a visit to E&T worth the parking nightmare.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusalive.com/content/stories/2014/05/08/happy-hour-review-ethyl–tank-confidently-mixes-classy-with-casual.html

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

making a visit to E&T worth the parking nightmare

Multistory garage across the street open to the public.

oh the nightmare!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Nightlife’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: