Our City Online

Messageboard - Food & Drink Events

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

End of August and September Mobile Monday Schedule and the future?

Home Forums Events Food & Drink Events End of August and September Mobile Monday Schedule and the future?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

FoodFort
    Participant

End of August and September Mobile Monday Schedule

August 26th – Explorer’s Club

September 2nd – No Truck due to the Holiday

September 9th – Explorer’s Club

September 16th – Aromaku

September 23rd – Explorer’s Club

September 29th – Explorer’s Club

So you may see a pattern there – lots of Explorer’s Club. The trucks love St. James and the people that frequent CU’s favorite bar. However numbers are little lower than needed for most vendors to be profitable for the night. This may wrap up the era of Mobile Mondays. It has been a good run.

If you are a food truck interested in trying out Mondays, please contact The St. James Tavern and let them know you would like to give it a shot.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/St-James-Tavern/35075836329?ref=ts

And thank you Nelson for many Mondays of support over the years.

Any thoughts shifting to Wednesdays? Or other ideas from the Community?

FoodFort
    Participant

Correction:

September 30th – Explorer’s Club

FoodFort
    Participant

Monday Explorer’s Club.

Last Monday for August…..and maybe one of the last for the series.

If you have suggestions – please share.

Thanks

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

FoodFort said:
    Monday Explorer’s Club.

Last Monday for August…..and maybe one of the last for the series.

If you have suggestions – please share.

Thanks

Not going into September? I’ve been thinking since you posted Wednesday and it’s a tough call, I love having the trucks out on Monday, but I also know its got to be profitable for everyone. Will consult with the Mr. and see if we can brainstorm something.

FoodFort
    Participant

mrsgeedeck said:
    Not going into September? I’ve been thinking since you posted Wednesday and it’s a tough call, I love having the trucks out on Monday, but I also know its got to be profitable for everyone. Will consult with the Mr. and see if we can brainstorm something.

MrsGeedeck,

Thanks for your ongoing support.

We have Mondays through September and not sure what happens after that.

FoodFort
    Participant

Tonight the Explorer’s Clubi is serving. Sample menu is attached.

FRIED PLANTAINS AND YOYO SAUCE
    $6
    GORILLA FRIES
    Fries with Ropa Vieja (Beef), Jack Cheese, Cilantro Sour cream, and Chipotle Tomatillo salsa
    $7

MOFONGO SANDWICH
    LOCAL SMOKED PORK SHOULDER, FRIED PLANTAiNS, ROASTED GARLIC, CILANTRO ANd FRESH LIME JUICE, JALAPENO SLAW, JACK CHEESE, TOASTED CUBAN BUN

$8

ROPA VIEJA SANDWICH
    Shredded Beef Marinated in tomato sauce, Jack cheese on a Cuban Bun
    $8
    HOME MADE MEATLOAF SANDWICH
    WITH CHEESE, BBQ SAUCE AND ONION RINGS
    $7

FRIED BOLOGNE SANDWICH

With Cheese, Caramelized Onions and Mango Habanero mustard
    $7

VEGETABLE TACOS

Grilled Vegetables With black beans, rice, Cheese and Guac
    $7

SHRIMP AND SCALLOP TACOS
    SHRIMP and SCALLOP OVER SRIRACHA SLAW WITH CHIPOTLE AIOLI

$8

QUESADILLA
    SERVED WITH SOUR CREAM AND SALSA
    CHEESE $5 Vegetable $6 Ropa vieja $7
    SIDES

Chips and Salsa
    $4

Mac & Cheese
    $4

Seasoned Tots
    $3

Jalapeno Slaw
    $3

geedeck
    Participant

Maybe more/better advertising? I know there’s a St. James sandwich board now, but maybe some “FOOD TRUCK HERE” type signs on Detroit at both Summit and 4th ends? Aside from CU posting, what advertising has been tried?

TBF, I think there’s a bigger issue here. While restaraunts have a permanent place, no food trucks do. There’s web resources, but those are irregular in their consistency or even presence. What I really think should exist would be a website that would quantify the stuff that bogs the less adventurous down

[*]Location & hours for day(or, week really)[/*]
      [*]Payment method[/*]
      [*]Menu (text or link, and not a freaking PDF or flash site. OMG those people.[/*]
      [*]Vegetarian/Vegan/etc etc[/*]
      [*]Possible allergens (peanuts, dairy, wheat [ie gluten free])[/*]
      [*]Turn around time[/*]
      [*]Call ahead phone #[/*]
      [*]Links to reviews[/*]

Because in my experience, it really doesn’t take much to deter some folks from trying food carts (again). There’s a twitter roundup thing, but, eh. I think Columbus has a decent food enthusiast culture, and Food Fort has done great work, but I still think part of the Proper Working Foodtruck Culture Machine of Greater Columbus isn’t there yet.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

The Street Food finder is up to date, though I don’t know if all of the trucks are represented.

http://streetfoodfinder.com/

FoodFort
    Participant

SA

geedeck said:

TBF, I think there’s a bigger issue here. While restaurants have a permanent place, no food trucks do. There’s web resources, but those are irregular in their consistency or even presence. What I really think should exist would be a website that would quantify the stuff that bogs the less adventurous down

[*]Location & hours for day(or, week really)[/*]
      [*]Payment method[/*]
      [*]Menu (text or link, and not a freaking PDF or flash site. OMG those people.[/*]
      [*]Vegetarian/Vegan/etc etc[/*]
      [*]Possible allergens (peanuts, dairy, wheat [ie gluten free])[/*]
      [*]Turn around time[/*]
      [*]Call ahead phone #[/*]
      [*]Links to reviews[/*]

Because in my experience, it really doesn’t take much to deter some folks from trying food carts (again). There’s a twitter roundup thing, but, eh. I think Columbus has a decent food enthusiast culture, and Food Fort has done great work, but I still think part of the Proper Working Foodtruck Culture Machine of Greater Columbus isn’t there yet.
    </blockquote

geedeck said:
    Maybe more/better advertising? I know there’s a St. James sandwich board now, but maybe some “FOOD TRUCK HERE” type signs on Detroit at both Summit and 4th ends? Aside from CU posting, what advertising has been tried?

Good Points. A good Website helps a food truck – if you can find it.

This encapsulates some of the challenges and approaches to findings a truck or cart.

http://streeteatscolumbus.com/how-to-find-a-food-truck-or-have-them-find-you/

FoodFort
    Participant

St

mrsgeedeck said:
    The Street Food finder is up to date, though I don’t know if all of the trucks are represented.

http://streetfoodfinder.com/

Street Food Finder is great butr not all of the trucks use it.

Any other ideas about how to make Mondays, Wednesdays or any other day of the week work better – let us know.

I would encourage people to use Street Food Finder – its is handy.

FoodFort
    Participant

Reminder: no food truck on September 2nd – Have a great holiday.

SJT
    SJT
    Participant

This week we have Explorers Club again and we are having a fundraiser for Suicide Prevention Services. It is Suicide Prevention Awareness Month so we wanted to donate some money to this cause. Please come help us raise some funds for this much needed organization.

http://tinyurl.com/pxs7hkn

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I’ll be in attendance for both causes tomorrow. While I can understand the need to pull the plug after continued poor turnouts, it might be worth it to see if attendance picks back up again next month and more so, the month after. I believe more than anything patio season has been the driving force in lack of people, with colder weather people should again be clamoring for the comfy confines of the SJT with taco/slider/pancake/donut/beetsalad in hand.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Food & Drink Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: