Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Empty Seats at Blue Jacket Games

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports Empty Seats at Blue Jacket Games

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)
  • Author

pilsner
    Participant

@sixby9is42

What you say is true but it’s common for sports franchises to go 25 years without making the playoffs.

Mediocre performance shouldn’t be an excuse.

Tenzo
    Participant

Since you can get them for $10 an hour before the game, and they never sell out……

kit444
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>
    The attendance of Friday night’s game against Minnesota was 16,419.
    The average attendence for the five home games since the Olympic break was 14,889.
    And, this is at a time when there’s a lot of pressure to fill the arena to show politicians that there’s merit for a hockey bailout.
    Again, I just don’t think the CBJ has the fan support to sustain an NHL team with average player salaries of $2 million per year.

So you’re talking an attendance to capacity percentage of what, 75% to 80% during a recession? For a perennial loser? This is your evidence the team should pack up and leave? Premature schadenfreude?

kit444
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>
    @sixby9is42
    What you say is true but it’s common for sports franchises to go 25 years without making the playoffs.

No, it isn’t common. Especially in hockey when more than half the teams make the postseason.

pilsner
    Participant

@kit444

Yeah actually you’re technically right in that the Blue Jackets did make the playoffs last year and 16 of the 30 teams in the NHL make it every year.

But on the whole, the CBJ have been a bottom-feeder team since entering the league. The Cleveland sports franchises have all had 25 year stretches of mediocrity.

Do I want the CBJ to leave? No way.

But I don’t think subsidizing them should be a priority of local government. In my opinion, the NHL owners need to get player salaries in alignment with the markets the NHL has teams. Paying average player salaries of $2 million is out of whack.

The Blue Jacket owners are supposedly losing $12 million per year. Cutting player salaries in half would more than make up for the red ink. It’s not just Columbus, half the NHL teams are in deep financial trouble.

sixby9is42

pilsner wrote >>
    @sixby9is42

Sports franchises like the Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns? They play 16 games in the regular season. The Blue Jackets play 82 games, more than 5 times than the NFL. I would think that there’s a tolerance point when most fans give up, stop going to the games and maybe watch them on TV instead.

The year before LeBron joined the Cavs, they had an average attendance of 11,497 with a 17-65 record. Attendance jumped to 18,288 the year he joined, and they had a 35-47 record.

turbo ninja
    Participant

With those empty seats, the majority of them are already paid for so it’s not like the team is just letting them go to waste. In fact, if the ticketholders also have those BS “personal seat licences,” they’re double-paid. Financially, the organization is just missing out on concession and parking revenues from these no-shows. More practically, the team and the arena experience suffer because the fans – the ones who would pound the glass and know a good backcheck when they saw it – are relegated to the upper level where they’re much less of a factor in the game.

The on-ice product isn’t very compelling and the season is long. It’s tough to drag yourself to the arena 41 times a season to watch another lackluster effort, even if the tickets are already paid for. The novelty of pro hockey and the “prestige” of being seen at the new arena are long gone. It’s totally understandable that people would rather stay home than sit in a chilly arena and watch the visiting teams put on a clinic.

pilsner
    Participant

I understand why people don’t want to support a mediocre product but it backs my point that Columbus can’t sustain an NHL team for the long haul without a taxpayer-funded bailout.

groundrules
    Participant

rumor has it that CBJs are subject of a Groupon today only- 200 level seats for $20.

pilsner
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>
    rumor has it that CBJs are subject of a Groupon today only- 200 level seats for $20.

Sounds like the cheap ticket promos are similar the promos the Clippers use. But that’s minor leagues.

Hello Franklin County Commissioners!!! Do not swindle the taxpayers. Deeply discounted tickets will not meet the costs of payroll.

The Blue Jackets are trying to artificially fill up Nationwide Arena and cram the bailout through.

groundrules
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>

Hello Franklin County Commissioners!!! Do not swindle the taxpayers. Deeply discounted tickets will not meet the costs of payroll.
    The Blue Jackets are trying to artificially fill up Nationwide Arena and cram the bailout through.

you really think that the county commissioners are dealing with the day to day operations of Blue Jackets marketing/ticket sales?

the foil is thick with this one.

lifeliberty
    Participant

you sell cheap seats so that you can sell beer, soda, merch, etc

Zooky
    Participant

It’s rare that I get pissed enough about something I read on one of these message boards as a lurker that I feel compelled to respond, but this discussion is missing some major facts.

Had it not been for the CBJ, there would not be an arena district. The arena district generates over $30 million in taxes alone. The arena district has clearly added to the cultural landscape in many ways – one of which I believe is that the Short North has expanded as a result of the arena district. The reason the ballpark is downtown is due to Nationwide Arena and the hockey team. None of these things would have happened had the CBJ not ended up here.

Instead of being grateful, the city of Columbus and Coleman have tried to penalize the team several times over. About 1-2 years ago when they were still on our trolly car kick, Coleman’s proposal to pay for all of that was basically that people buying tickets downtown would pay a surcharge for the trolly cars. However, none of the arts tickets would go toward this whatsoever. So essentially, Coleman wanted MAINLY season ticket holders who fork out a hell of a lot of money already to bankroll the trolly cars. Most season ticket holders would have shelled out around $300 for trolly’s they might ride a few times per year. Equally as stupid, the city has done absolutely nothing to help get this arena district thing fixed.

Granted, voters did not approve of paying for the arena. It was privately funded. I get that. However, if there is something good within the city (yes, the team has sucked), why not attempt to keep it around, if nothing else but for adding to Columbus in general?

Letting the team walk would be a big black eye for the city, and would only further the point that this is a college football town, and nothing more beyond that.

Oh yeah, I am a season ticket holder btw, and think the whole deal sucks.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

We have the Saturday 8 game pack and I also notice that the upper bowl is usually pretty packed while the lower levels are where most of the empty seats are. They might as well let everyone come down after the 1st period and claim all the empty seats so there will be people close enough for the players to hear them cheer.

pez
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>
    I bet a lot of the empty seats in the expensive areas are paid for, just not used. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve bought expensive tickets for customers only to find out that “something came up” and they didn’t go. Talk about angry!!

Important point, just because no one is sitting there doesn’t mean they weren’t paid for. I’ve been to numerous games where half the people in our group don’t show up even if they have a ticket, preferring to hang out at one of the bars instead. Attendance only counts bodies through the door. Now they do lose the beer and food money, but they lose that when I show up too as I try not to eat or drink in there, something about the obvious price gouging makes me lose my appetite and thirst pretty quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 169 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE