Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Empty Seats at Blue Jacket Games

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports Empty Seats at Blue Jacket Games

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 169 total)
  • Author

Mercurius
    Participant

pilsner said:
    Interesting points Murph, but KC and Tulsa probably don’t have two 20,000 seat arenas five miles apart. It’s pretty obvious two arenas can’t be kept profitable in Columbus, with or w/o pro sports.

OSU ain’t gonna just reserve Value City Arena for just college sports. OSU needs revenue from concerts and Monster Truck shows to pay off bonds that built Value City.

You are right – Kansas City has three (Kemper Arena to Kauffman Center to Sprint Arena, 2.1 miles.) They also have the Municipal Auditorium, Kauffman Stadium, Arrowhead Stadium, Livestrong Stadium, Community America Stadium and University of Kansas Memorial Stadium.

What we need is the Blue Jackets to win and be profitable. If they win – they will make money and pay for said stadium. Just need to make the playoffs once or twice in the next five years.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

pilsner said:
    Interesting points Murph, but KC and Tulsa probably don’t have two 20,000 seat arenas five miles apart. It’s pretty obvious two arenas can’t be kept profitable in Columbus, with or w/o pro sports.

OSU ain’t gonna just reserve Value City Arena for just college sports. OSU needs revenue from concerts and Monster Truck shows to pay off bonds that built Value City.

True. What I’m saying is that the Schott doesn’t need to be profitable (and if memory serves it’s not allowed to be profitable either), they just have to break even. With that theory in mind if you can bring enough events in to both arenas and make sure that they at minimum break even, then anything over and above the break even point for both arenas would be driven to Nationwide. With shared staffing costs, and reduced concession costs because of volume discounts, a Jackets free arena wouldn’t be the massive liability people are claiming it would be. I still believe that a bad team is the biggest liability to the profitability of the arena. This city, and every city will absolutely rally around a winning exciting Blue Jackets team. I avoid going to games because they’re no good.

pilsner
    Participant

It seems to me that the Nationwide/OSU arena cartel breaks anti-trust laws. As consumers we should want them competing instead of colluding with each other.

What they’re doing is kinda like Giant Eagle and Kroger getting together and fixing prices.

JeepGirl
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    plus now they must pay naming rights.

Ummm, might want to re-think that point when you defend this deal. True that as part of the deal Nationwide will now pay arena naming rights, but you failed to mention who those payments go to, which is none other than the Blue Jackets, which are conveniently owned by the same people that you claim aren’t receiving a bail out.

From the “deal”:

7. NW INVESTS $52 MILLION IN CBJ AND BECOMES PART-OWNER.

– NW purchases a 30% interest in CBJ.
    – McConnell Interests continue as majority owner.
    – NW bears its ownership’s portion of any future CBJ operating losses.
    – NW invests $28.5 Million and purchases arena naming rights and sponsorship from CBJ for 10 years.

Please explain how the arena naming rights can be purchased “from CBJ” when the CBJ do not own the arena? Shouldn’t that go to the arena owners, the financially strapped Franklin County?

Oh yeah, this is nothing but a back-door corporate bail out.

pilsner
    Participant

This Dispatch article settles it…it’s a bailout.

Jackets’ creditors sped city’s arena-deal vote
    By Lucas Sullivan and Doug Caruso
    Sunday November 20, 2011 11:44 PM

The Columbus City Council approved the public purchase of Nationwide Arena seven weeks ago, but the Franklin County commissioners might not vote on a final deal until year’s end.

The reason for the different approaches: The council expedited its action before the contract was written because the Columbus Blue Jackets’ creditors feared the team would run out of money and wanted assurances that help was on the way.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/content/stories/2011/11/20/1120-jackets-creditors-spurred-arena-deal.html

pilsner
    Participant

CBJ vs Flames attendance 11/21/11 at Nationwide Arena—- 11,629 (64% full).

JimboJones34

pilsner said:
    CBJ vs Flames attendance 11/21/11 at Nationwide Arena—- 11,629 (64% full).

What’s your point? The team is terrible and it was a Monday night of a holiday week. I don’t see what you’re implying, except that perhaps you are suggesting that your brain operates at less than 64% capacity.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

pilsner said:
    It seems to me that the Nationwide/OSU arena cartel breaks anti-trust laws. As consumers we should want them competing instead of colluding with each other.

What they’re doing is kinda like Giant Eagle and Kroger getting together and fixing prices.

Again this goes back to the fact that this city should not have those two arenas. There should have only been one. If two arenas were to exist in this city then OSU should have gone with something smaller, and had a deal in place to have bigger events at Nationwide. The flipside is that Nationwide should never have been built if the Schott was going to be built. OSU running both arenas with it’s lower labor costs and greater expertise is the best option for what we have been dealt.

egg

catnfiddle said:
    If they lowered the prices a little, they’d make up the difference in increased sales.

I moved here from Buffalo, where the average ticket price is 60-100. The crowd there is always rowdy (even when they’re not playing so hot). Bluejacket fans just don’t seem that interested in their team. Last weekend I bought tickets for me and my family and for $30 you get a ticket, hotdog, ice cream, soda, and a huge bucket of popcorn. That’s a pretty awesome deal. However, the arena was bare and therefore the game was pretty boring. I found myself watching the Sabres updates on the side board.
    When we left the Arena, however, there were tons of people at the surrounding bars and restaurants watching and cheering along. Maybe having so many other options for watching the game ultimately lowers the attendance in the arena itself.

jgeorge300
    jgeorge300
    Participant

I’ve been reading Moneyball and came across this quote:

All the A’s marketing studies showed that the main thing fans cared about was winning. Win with nobodies and the fans showed up, and the nobodies [i]became[/i] stars; lose with stars and the fans stayed home, and the stars became nobodies

It sums up my thoughts pretty much.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

jgeorge300 said:
    I’ve been reading Moneyball and came across this quote:

All the A’s marketing studies showed that the main thing fans cared about was winning. Win with nobodies and the fans showed up, and the nobodies [i]became[/i] stars; lose with stars and the fans stayed home, and the stars became nobodies

It sums up my thoughts pretty much.

I agree. I think that’s the difference between minor league and major league teams. When you’re dealing a major league team, like the Blue Jackets, there is a lot of pride in a team that does well, and that team attracts people to the games. Minor leagues are an entirely different beast, as evidenced by the Clippers. All summer long the stadium is full with fans and families enjoying a baseball game, but they had trouble giving tickets away for playoff games, and noone really did a lot of celebration when the team won it’s second International league title. Minor league teams have to market atmosphere and events because the product on the field is ever changing. Major leagues have to market the product on the field, because you can tie your efforts to your best players. So if the Jackets were to start winning then spending $30 on a ticket and the rest is a better deal, because there is a better than average chance that they will win. I don’t want to drop $50-$150 to go see them lose.

pilsner
    Participant

But some franchises are perenniel losers for decades—-L.A. Clippers, Cleveland Indians during the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s, Browns, etc.

A franchises’ fan base needs to be able to sustain a 20 year bad spell.

Static-X

I heard from a very reliable source that Nationwide Ins. is actually giving their employees free tickets, just to fill the seats. So, out of the 7000-8000 people who attend the games, 2500+ are probably Nationwide workers. I’m not surprised Nationwide hasn’t used cardboard cut outs to fill the seats. What a racket!!

pilsner
    Participant

From 11/27/13 article by Shawn Mitchell: “The Montreal Canadiens, winners of 24 Stanley Cups, were in town on a Friday night to play the Blue Jackets for only the fifth time since Columbus joined the NHL in 2000. They were greeted with a shrug. An announced crowd of 11,562 showed up on Nov. 15 to watch the Canadiens win….” http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2013/11/27/jackets-find-early-season-ticket-sales-a-challenge.html#sthash.a2tDdClc.dpuf

pilsner
    Participant

Tuesday, Dec 3, 2013 vs Tampa Bay, attendance 10,223.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 169 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE