Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Egress windows - anyone with experience on these?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Egress windows – anyone with experience on these?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

asil
    Participant

Baby number 2 is on the way so my husband’s music studio is getting kicked down into the basement. In an attempt to make this move not seem like a banishment to the dungeon I’ve been making plans to refinish a portion of the basement for this use. Insulation, drywall, carpet, recessed lighting, a little sound proofing – basically a 10’x16′ room with a door. Mostly DIY with the help of friends and family with experience in this kind of project and contractors when necessary.

There’s one window in that space and in planning to replace it I suddenly realized that current code will likely make me make this an egress window. Even though it’s not to be used for a bedroom it could easily be turned into one at any time – at least I think that’s how they’ll see it.

Totally bummed about this realization – not only is it not something I can attempt on my own I’m anticipating it will double or triple my budget and could potentially derail the whole project for a bit in order to afford it.

Anyway – facing reality – has anyone installed egress windows as a part of a basement remodel recently? What was your experience with the permit office? Who did the install? About how much was it?

Thanks!

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

i wouldnt bother with it. unless your pulling permits to build the room.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Isn’t one option that would keep you on budget and not derail the project to be simply not replace the window or am I missing something.

asil
    Participant

@Chris Sherman – Don’t I HAVE to pull permits for something like this?

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

the city changed a bunch of stuff about 4 years ago. code now requires a second means of egress from a basement for occupied rooms like rec and bedrooms. those windows cam be tall, most older homes may have only 30 or so inches of foundation above exterior grade. everyone i have seen installed required the ground to be dug down, retaining walls and drainage installed.

Chris Sherman
    Chris Sherman
    Participant

asil said:
    @Chris Sherman – Don’t I HAVE to pull permits for something like this?

i pmed you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: