Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 342 total)
  • Author
    MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Wow…that’s a blockbuster rumor.

drtom1234
    Participant

A couple points. One, I think _Calebross’ question regarding adding levels to the existing City Center garage is worth an answer. If three or four more levels could be added, that could allow parking not only for Two25, but for other development around there, maybe even on top of the garage itself. Two, if indyout’s information is correct, that would be pretty amazing; a new museum downtown, an apartment or condo tower, and an office tower for a mystery company, which, if I had to guess, would be Ohio Health. That would be nice at a site like, say, State and Third.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The Ohio History Connection is shopping around for a new location and donor naming rights. .

They first talked about this a year ago, albeit without specifics on location aside from somewhere downtown or along the river.

The Ohio History Connection is considering moving its museum Downtown, perhaps to a riverfront location.

Burt Logan, executive director and chief executive officer of the organization, stressed that a decision to move the museum, now at E. 17th Avenue and I-71, has not been finalized. However, talks about a move are underway, he said.

“At many times in the past, there have been discussions of moving the museum downtown. … The board has asked that we at least examine that question.”

Logan said the appeal of moving Downtown would be “a more visible and more accessible location.” He would not discuss a specific location under consideration or whether it would be a new building or an existing one.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

I can’t remember… Did any employer claim the building on fourth and long? I thought they were discussing tearing that down and building a substantial amount of parking.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I’ve heard the Ohio Health thing before. At least that they wanted to consolidate their offices into one location. And that downtown was one a few possible spots.

Developing something along the square would be great. But even with vacancy rates where they are I’d be surprised to see a spec tower built. Isn’t the Fifth Third building mostly empty and in default? I think anything that gets built is going to have most of the space lined up before they break ground. I’m guessing that’s what’s happening with Two25. Announce it, get everyone excited, try to lease it up, then build it.

indyout
    Participant

The floor plates at the 5/3 building are more suited for a mixed use project. The old portion could easily be converted to a boutique hotel, while the newer portion is better suited for office/residential. 5/3 is in a pull back mode in most markets, which could lead to a higher vacancy or a relocation to a new build. Although parking is built in and the building is situated on one of the premier corners in the State, a market repositioning will come quickly and better utilize its assets.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

NICE,,This will really make a huge difference on High St. Filling in that huge stretch, lined with retail, apts and maybe a future hotel will really change the image of Downtown.

So according to Business First, the hotel plans have been dropped, and an 56-unit apartment building will be planned at the intersection of Long and High instead.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>indyout wrote:</div>
    NICE,,This will really make a huge difference on High St. Filling in that huge stretch, lined with retail, apts and maybe a future hotel will really change the image of Downtown.

So according to Business First, the hotel plans have been dropped, and an 56-unit apartment building will be planned at the intersection of Long and High instead.

Well hopefully the idea of that 12 floor parking garage with hotel on top across the street next to the White/Haines project goes through.

futureman
    Participant

According to Business First this morning the plans for a hotel are now out, but now the number of apartments units is 240. The article is behind a paywall so I can’t see much beyond that.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

A couple points. One, I think _Calebross’ question regarding adding levels to the existing City Center garage is worth an answer. If three or four more levels could be added, that could allow parking not only for Two25, but for other development around there, maybe even on top of the garage itself. Two, if indyout’s information is correct, that would be pretty amazing; a new museum downtown, an apartment or condo tower, and an office tower for a mystery company, which, if I had to guess, would be Ohio Health. That would be nice at a site like, say, State and Third.

Ideally we wouldn’t add more parking to an already insanely large garage… Building on top of it would be preferred, as it is a massive hole on the edge of Columbus Commons — building something that faces the park would be the best option and then adding more parking garages with more efficient footprints elsewhere would spread the parking load about

Pablo
    Participant

I would venture to say that the garage was not designed to accommodate additional construction. Any new floors would require a massive structural overhaul.

indyout
    Participant

Interesting, that the Commons garage was brought up. I did not live here when the City Center was around, but, I have talked to one of the planners who was around back then. He told me that the large garage was built to hold up to a 10 story apt or office building at the corner of 3rd and Main and 3rd and Rich. So why hasn’t the City given this space to someone to build there.???

But, back to the High/Gay High/Long proposal. I think this is fantastic, it will fill in 4 city blocks AND it will be lined with retail!! So it won’t be 20 stories, but it will make this downtown feel complete for the first time in over half a century. Although, I am all for a high rise, this city actually has a much better skyline than most when viewed from afar. But, when you are walking, biking or driving on High St, all you see is the street level.

drtom1234
    Participant

Interesting, that the Commons garage was brought up. I did not live here when the City Center was around, but, I have talked to one of the planners who was around back then. He told me that the large garage was built to hold up to a 10 story apt or office building at the corner of 3rd and Main and 3rd and Rich. So why hasn’t the City given this space to someone to build there.???

Do you mean on top of the garage?

indyout
    Participant

The portion of the parking garage that fronts 3rd Street was built with re-enforced columns to support a building similar in size to 250 High. I really don’t understand why nothing has been built there.

On that same topic…The Front Street parking garage next to the Leveque Tower was also built to support a 12 story building. One of the people I work with has old promotional material for a condo tower that was proposed for the top of the garage from the early 90s.

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

On that same topic…The Front Street parking garage next to the Leveque Tower was also built to support a 12 story building. One of the people I work with has old promotional material for a condo tower that was proposed for the top of the garage from the early 90s.

You should scan that. I’d love to see it.

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 342 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Urban Living Tour returns (with strict safety guidelines) on Aug 30!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS