Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 342 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

If this (the parking garage) is true it is a travesty. That isn’t something that is easily undone.

lattethunder
    Participant

A parking garage beats the surface lot that’s there now. Although I hope they’d consider first floor retail for the garage too.

mrpoppinzs

lattethunder said:
    A parking garage beats the surface lot that’s there now. Although I hope they’d consider first floor retail for the garage too.

Not really, as an empty lot has a lot more future potential than a reinforced concrete parking garage. Might as well be a massive headstone on that lot.

billbix

Well, here’s hoping there is more too it than just a parking garage. Hopefully clearer heads will prevail and there will be apartments on top. If it just a garage then it trumps even the thrift store at 5th and High as a development disappointment.

columbusmike
    Participant

I’d have no issue if they put the garage underground with access to the garage from the alley. In fact, they’d be smart to put the parking underground and build several levels of additional apartments, condos, offices, or hotel space. That would be a GREAT use of that lot.

I just heard about a parking garage, so there is a possibility that it doesn’t necessarily mean its above grade, although I’m skeptical that’s the case.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The apartments should allot for 25% drivers, 25% busers, 25% bikers and 25% walkers. The cars could go in the existing garage with ease. I’ve rarely seen it full. Everything else is already accommodated for.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    The project you’re referring to is being done by the “Edwards Communities” side of the business:

Dublin Sees Apartment Project as Catalyst For Urban Neighborhood

The “Edwards Companies” side of the business has a pretty solid track record for urban development with Neighborhood Launch, 570 Lofts, and half of everything in the Brewery District.

A bit confusing to keep them straight. ;)

It’s all one company headed up by Pete Edwards. The Neighborhood Launch website states it is developed by Edwards Companies and directs you to Edwards Communities. Perhaps projects headed up by Jeff are more successful (NL, Brewary District) from an urban design standpoint.

leftovers

Huge step backwards if Edwards builds a regular parking garage on that lot. I can’t imagine anyone seeing otherwise. Hopefully we will hear more soon.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

There is a huge parking garage right behind this building. I’m wandering if they could not just negotiate for a few spaces for the residents on the top floor of the garage. Maybe they could even construct a walkway from the building to the garage, although that my be cost prohibitive.

And yea, they really should consider changing the name. Edwards Communities and Companies is just too confusing. I would not think that Companies would want to be associated with the prison that was recently completed on 3rd.

leftovers

jpizzow said:

And yea, they really should consider changing the name. Edwards Communities and Companies is just too confusing. I would not think that Companies would want to be associated with the prison that was recently completed on 3rd.

From what I understand it is really all the same company as mentioned above.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Walker said:
    The apartments should allot for 25% drivers, 25% busers, 25% bikers and 25% walkers. The cars could go in the existing garage with ease. I’ve rarely seen it full. Everything else is already accommodated for.

There are more than enough garages along Front Street to fill the parking needs of that building and any residential units built on the adjacent Gay Street lot. If the Downtown Commission is asking, read: suggesting, to developers in this area that they need to be providing parking then that is irresponsible.

There is plenty of parking available, and this kind of talk would be fostering the mindset that parking is needed for every project. If a developer wants to build a project in an area without parking minimums they should be able to do so -no questions asked.-

Also- It would seem to be in opposition to the downtown guidelines for development (which are being revised and voted upon this month) for a parking garage to be built on High Street.

InnerCore
    Participant

I’m not really against them putting a garage on that lot. Quite frankly they are probably going to be delivering class A product and the people who can afford this are primarily going to have cars. Sure I’d rather them taking trains, walking, biking, etc. but the primary goal right now should be to get as many middle/upper income people downtown as soon as possible. Then once you have these people downtown they tend to garner more respect politically.

With that being said a garage is a lot better than surface parking. You car is exposed to the elements and it’s less safe. Sure you could build something better on this lot but were talking about a downtown that has numerous vacant lots.

So what would be ideal is to build a garage that also has extra public parking spaces. Then line the ground floor of the primary and secondary frontage with another use. So maybe something better could go there in the future, but the reality is you’re talking about decades from now. But as of now I’d rather have a secure garage that attracts new residents to downtown and some retail/commercial space to encourage street level activity.

I’m not an Edwards Communities fan (apparent in the dublin thread) but Edwards Companies seems to do a lot better. The suburban one needs to start taking notes from the urban one.

columbusmike
    Participant

Downtown Columbus has a parking problem. We have too much parking.

Cbusbill
    Participant

I find it amusing how many posts are going towards bashing a ‘rumored’ parking garage. A parking garage is not going in that spot, given its location near the core of downtown (unless it was simply part of a larger development with retail and office/hotel/condo space above it). The planning commission and the mayor’s office have repeatedly commented on the priority of finding the right development for this space. Obviously a parking garage isn’t going to fit that description. The city has gone on record as being a proponent of developing garages on the periphery, not the core. Can we at least wait until there’s some semblance of proof that a garage is going up before the hate parade tries to tear it back down?

What are plans for accommodating the Gay Street developments like Neighborhood Launch? As the new apartments and condos go up, all those surface lots are going to disappear and you’ll probably need more resident parking (both for residents of apartments and their guests). Is any garage associated with this development supposed to help handle overflow? (Yes, I’m completely out of the loop. Sorry if this is a dumb question).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 342 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO