Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 342 total)
  • Author

ehill27
    Participant

… e.g. Hop on a train headed for downtown at King & Olentangy but then sit on a track near 670 for 10 hrs.

^ Umm… c’mon now, that’s just silly.

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

The next iteration of this proposal was apparently on display at the downtown commission’s meeting today…

futureman
    Participant

Looks like a slight bump in units (+12) for “nearly” 200. No new renderings in the article though – http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/11/17/apartment-condo-hotel-projects-get-downtown.html

Columbus-based Edwards Cos. also received the commission’s blessing to begin utility site work and foundation work on its residential and retail complex planned on North High Street between West Gay and Long streets.

Edwards President Jeff Edwards told the commission the developer has added about 12 units on the second floor of the 85-111 N. High St. project to further conceal the top level of structured parking in the complex.

The $40 million project will have nearly 200 apartments above the parking and about 25,000 square feet of street-level retail.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

@Walker! Get on it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

@Walker! Get on it.

Brent’s working on an update. ;)

News
    Participant

Edwards Eyes January Start Date for Gay and High Project
    November 18, 2015 3:48 pm – Brent Warren

The Edwards Companies received the green light from the Downtown Commission this week to begin excavation and utility work on their six-story mixed-use project at 85-111 North High Street.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/gay-and-high-development-bw1

indyout
    Participant

NICE,,This will really make a huge difference on High St. Filling in that huge stretch, lined with retail, apts and maybe a future hotel will really change the image of Downtown.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

The architecture of the north building is much improved. I question the south more but it seems to work from an urban design standpoint. The reality is there will be a lot of hand-wringing about the height and density of this project, however at the end of the day filling in what is the largest and most depressing whole in High Street will be a huge net positive. This will likely spur more construction in the vital Gay Street area, and there are plenty more surface lots for a tall building. And the height advocates (including myself) can hold out hope for a taller tower at Long and High.

Lots of good news for downtown recently.

CB_downtowner
    Participant

The architecture of the north building is much improved. I question the south a more but it seems to work from an urban design standpoint. The reality is there will be a lot of hand-wringing about the height and density of this project, however at the end of the day filling in what is the largest and most depressing whole in High Street will be a huge net positive. This will likely spur more construction in the vital Gay Street area, and there are plenty more surface lots for a tall building. And the height advocates (including myself) can hold out hope for a taller tower at Long and High.

Lots of good news for downtown recently.

Agreed. Like skee lo, I wish it was a little bit taller. But it’s a great looking design and the retail possibilities could be incredible. And filling in this parking lot would go a long way toward building much needed vibrancy in that part of downtown, which hopefully spurs additional height development. So it’s not perfect, but I’m still excited about it.

ohbr
    Participant

Definitely a missed opportunity for something bigger at gay and high but a vastly better looking plan than previously proposed. The most important part of this plan is that it knocks out an entire block of nothing at nearly the same time the block across the street is undergoing some major renovations. Will definitely be a great addition to the downtown.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…the retail possibilities could be incredible.

Hopefully the sidewalks are wide enough to grow the Moonlight Market along both sides of High Street post-completion of this + Madison’s. ;)

WJT
    Participant

It looks like an improved design, with better more interesting materials, especially the northern part. It is what it is, this is what we are getting, best to accept it as good(but far from optimal)infill. And there is the space for the addition on the northern end, which will increase density whatever it turns out to be.

Time to look at the positives of this, and accept it and move on with hopes for greater height and density elsewhere. As has been stated, maybe it will be a good catalyst for another denser development nearby.

It is certainly better than the surface lots that have marred that stretch for decades, and it could indeed, with what is planned for across the street, help pull the Gay street ‘experience’ out on to High.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

Talking about how much retail there will be available on the first floor, I would love to see a Cb2 lease one of the open storefronts. With all the activity in downtown and the Short North I think it would be a great fit. West elm Would be nice as well but they already have a store at Easton.

Josh Bauman
    Josh Bauman
    Participant

The most important part of this plan is that it knocks out an entire block of nothing at nearly the same time the block across the street is undergoing some major renovations. Will definitely be a great addition to the downtown.

It is what it is, this is what we are getting, best to accept it as good(but far from optimal)infill. And there is the space for the addition on the northern end, which will increase density whatever it turns out to be.
    Time to look at the positives of this, and accept it and move on with hopes for greater height and density elsewhere. As has been stated, maybe it will be a good catalyst for another denser development nearby.

I agree, time to start looking at this as a catalyst regardless of exact details. There are certainly other places where larger developments could occur and maybe those starting to happen off of High Street will create a more wide-reaching vibrancy to downtown off of the beaten path. All good, let’s just get it done efficiently and with GOOD CONSTRUCTION, MATERIALS, and DETAILING!

CB_downtowner
    Participant

Talking about how much retail there will be available on the first floor, I would love to see a Cb2 lease one of the open storefronts. With all the activity in downtown and the Short North I think it would be a great fit. West elm Would be nice as well but they already have a store at Easton.

Yeah, downtown badly needs retail diversity. Even better if it can attract after hours foot traffic. This area often thinks about how bars can attract retail instead of how retail can drive people to restaurants and bars. This area still badly needs nightlife but that block has lots of nice spots to do that.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 342 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE