Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 342 total)
  • Author

WJT
    Participant

I find it very disturbing that a city with almost 900,000 people doesn’t have any means of major public transportation other than a bus system. We could talk about how Columbus needs mass transit all day but what needs to be done is COTA and the city need to come up with a plan to get the ball rolling! If we know streetcar/light rail is going to happen at some point down the road why settle for development that is low rise (adding under 200 new apartments) in the heart of the city just to fill an empty lot?

Why settle? Because ‘settling’ is the Cbus way. Maybe too much bovine blood still coursing through the veins of the city? I don’t know. We need the city, the developers, the ‘powers that be’, and the citizenry in general to stop chewing the cud, get out of the pasture, and get with it. If not, we will be left behind by our competitor cities and will be stuck with 6 story ‘yuppie in a box’ stick built downtown development mixed in with surface lots and ugly built-on-the-cheap open concrete car storage boxes, with clunky COTA buses providing the same public transit of dubious overall quality.

Lu
    Participant

I’d love to see the city look seriously at creating an excellent BRT system instead of rail.

The main issue I see with rail is that the taxpayers will never pay for an extensive enough system to make any meaningful difference. Perhaps we’ll eventually see a token light rail that runs a few miles along High St. But a meaningful rail network with multiple lines won’t happen for many, many years.

The problem is that our tax burden is already among the very highest in the US, so there’s no appetite by taxpayers to fund a robust rail system. With BRT, the dollars can be stretched a lot farther.

CbusIslander
    Participant

I think fixed rail like streetcars and maybe even light rail systems will die a slow death like they did eighty years ago. The reason this time not the gas automobile but driverless electronic cars. The roads already exist let’s be a true innovative city. Just saying technology always changing. Let’s think really outside the box.

Nancy H
    Participant

Beam me up Scotty! But in the meantime… we need mass transit.

sruckus
    Participant

I think fixed rail like streetcars and maybe even light rail systems will die a slow death like they did eighty years ago. The reason this time not the gas automobile but driverless electronic cars. The roads already exist let’s be a true innovative city. Just saying technology always changing. Let’s think really outside the box.

Imagine the convenience of a car but everyone just rents. They all are driverless and because there’s no people involved can go and park in densely-packed lots out of the way until someone else needs it.

Brent Warren
    Brent Warren
    Participant

Meant to reply to this last week, but didn’t have a chance.. Columbus does not have parking minimums downtown, and hasn’t, I don’t think, since 1997. From the city’s website;

The Downtown Commission was formed in 1997 with the adoption of the Downtown District chapter (CC 3359) of the Columbus Zoning Code. Adoption of the code resulted in all of Downtown’s 4,000 plus parcels being combined into a single zoning district where most uses are permitted pending design review. A major update to the district and a set of companion Design Guidelines were adopted by City Council in July 2013. – See more at: http://columbus.gov/planning/downtowncommission/#sthash.bQI45xoH.dpuf

So a developer could build a zero-parking building right now, without a variance, it would just have to go through the Downtown Commission. As many have pointed out, the pressure to include parking with these projects is coming from the private sector side..

TomB
    Participant

Consider the views from a residential high-rise at High and Gay: not that nice. High-rise residential is better suited for the riverfront, where it can take advantage of riverfront and skyline views. Northbank, Miranova and Waterford prove that. I would add the new tower at the Thurber complex to that list, too, because it offers a great skyline view. Comparisons to Cincinnati and Cleveland don’t work because the local geography offers better vistas for high-rise residents in their core CBDs.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Consider the views from a residential high-rise at High and Gay: not that nice.

I disagree. As someone with a sixth floor office view of Downtown from Gay and High, I’d say that the views here are great, and they’d be even better from higher up. We’ve watched RW&B from this location, which is an amazing view.

cadillackid
    Participant

as much as I would love to see a Mass transit system built here in the city.. because I ride them when I go to other cities.. I also see how the cities I travel to were built and are older cities where the transit system was thought into the plan… columbus is one of the EASIEST cities in the USA to travel to / from / and through by car.. it just is.. I live in grove city and oin most any given day i can be downtown in 15-20 minutes, polaris in 30-35, the air port in 20, easton maybe 25… the idea that for a city to be “real” means everyone has to dump their favorite car for their favorite transit seat is rubbish… lets be smart about transit.. technology evolves… instead of put rail tracks down the center of all the streets what if we put “transit lanes” after all its A PIPE DREAM to think we are going to dig up the whole city and put in a subway.. so any rail would be above ground…

the existing streets can become an adaptable transit system as opposed to a fixed one like rail tracks do…

the only reason people want light rail is because its the “cool” and “Hip” thing to do…

we are a city with a great ROAD infrastructure lets BUILD upon that and not shun it…

im not going to go into specifics of how I would design a system.. im just saying that a center-lane bus system with platforms and all could be built MUCH less costly and be adaptable (busses can drive on regular streets)..

the big thing that also has to happen is the EMBRACING and not HATING and SHUNNING of the suburban areas of this city either… all of that needs to play into a transit plan… not just spoke to hub in the AM and hub to spoke in the PM.. thats not where the majority of the people’s work – home – shopping life is.. there is a lot of reverse travel as well as spoke to spoke travel… and right now to go from say grove city to hilliard, you have to go downtown first then back out… why would I do that when i can drive 10 times easier??? but if I could ride just about as easy I would ride… just for the simplicity..

-Christopher

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

as much as I would love to see a Mass transit system built here in the city.. because I ride them when I go to other cities.. I also see how the cities I travel to were built and are older cities where the transit system was thought into the plan…

But there are also many, many, many examples of younger cities that have implemented new transit systems within the past decade or two and have seen development patterns change and evolve around the new transit lines. Portland being the staple example of that kind of new model.

Columbus doesn’t need to strive to replicate the old systems of New York or Chicago or San Francisco.

But it can certainly utilize systems similar to what’s been recently deployed in Denver or Charlotte or Salt Lake City.

…columbus is one of the EASIEST cities in the USA to travel to / from / and through by car.. it just is.. I live in grove city and oin most any given day i can be downtown in 15-20 minutes, polaris in 30-35, the air port in 20, easton maybe 25…

While that’s currently true (only without traffic), it won’t always be the case. The region is growing rapidly. How quickly will you be able to drive across town when there’s an extra half million people living in the region in the next few decades? You don’t build mass transit based on this morning’s commute. You build it based upon the needs of the future.

Worth reading:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/interview-morpcs-william-murdock-on-planning-for-growth-in-central-ohio-bw1

http://www.columbusunderground.com/study-results-show-impact-of-different-types-of-development-on-region

http://www.columbusunderground.com/census-columbus-ranked-13th-fastest-growing-us-city

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

That post made me laugh. Thanks. I needed it.

But you can always take I-270 to get from Grove city to Hilliard….. I don’t get the “go downtown then back out aspect of that” as for the rest of that post… What walker said x10000

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The building renovations look nice at night when the interior is all lit up. Will be great to eventually see people living here and have some life to it. ;)

tcoop
    Participant

Has anyone heard any updates about this project since July? Any revisions to the original proposal?

S.browning
    Participant

Would love a street car from north of campus to downtown / with a light rail on the tracks that run along or parallel to 315 that run right into downtown next to NWA then could tie into street car. Why can they buy time on those tracks or something , it’s not like they are being used twenty-four seven. Maybe think a little out of the box . Turn the gay and high into a mass transit center with shops and high rise combo office / hotel and shops with street car bus center

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Would love a street car from north of campus to downtown / with a light rail on the tracks that run along or parallel to 315 that run right into downtown next to NWA then could tie into street car. Why can they buy time on those tracks or something , it’s not like they are being used twenty-four seven. Maybe think a little out of the box . Turn the gay and high into a mass transit center with shops and high rise combo office / hotel and shops with street car bus center

The big rail study that released last year put the kibosh on the idea that just because there are railroad tracks doesn’t mean they could support time-tabled commuter use. The railroad frequently parks trains for long periods on stretches of track as part of their logistics ballet… e.g. Hop on a train headed for downtown at King & Olentangy but then sit on a track near 670 for 10 hrs.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 342 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: