Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Edwards Co Planning Apartments at Gay & High

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 342 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Edwards Cos. buys North High, West Gay property

Jun 10, 2013, 12:56pm EDT

Brian R. Ball

Staff reporter-Business First

A leading developer of downtown condos during the last five years may have the conversion of a downtown Columbus office building in its housing plans. Sources have hinted for months that Edwards Cos. had the eight-story, 91,000-square-foot property at 49-53 N. High St. in a sales contract with plans to convert it into housing, most likely apartments.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2013/06/10/edwards-cos-buys-north-high-west-gay.html

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Great location for apartments. In addition to the vacant lot, it would be great to see some action in the old Madison’s building across the street.

columbusmike
    Participant

Yeah, great building and location. This will only strengthen that area of downtown.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Would be cool if they kept the ‘tradition’ going on this building and added a few floors of a modern addition onto the top. ;)

Pablo
    Participant

Do you think Edwards will remove the retail space and replace it with apartments?

columbusmike
    Participant

Pablo said:
    Do you think Edwards will remove the retail space and replace it with apartments?

I doubt it. They will probably use half the space for lobby, trash, workout facilities, etc. and rent the other half. First floor units never work very well, unless they are separated from the sidewalk level by a few feet. They should be able to get a fairly good rate on retail/office space once the building is updated.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:

Why would they?

It’s a great draw for residents to already have a salon, a dentist and a latin american restaurant located in the building.

mrmann

Just wondering, is there a particular garage associated with that building?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

mrmann said:
    Just wondering, is there a particular garage associated with that building?

I don’t think there’s any parking attached, but multiple garages and lots within a block or two.

It’s also got great bus access being basically at Broad & High and good bike infrastructure around it. Close to a lot of jobs as well, so many could choose to live here and walk to work.

Pablo
    Participant

Walker said:
    Why would they?

It’s a great draw for residents to already have a salon, a dentist and a latin american restaurant located in the building.

Oh, I was just joking in light of Edwards’ proposed Dublin development that got a lot of flack on this board. I certainly agree at first floor retail is a plus!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo said:
    Oh, I was just joking in light of Edwards’ proposed Dublin development that got a lot of flack on this board. I certainly agree at first floor retail is a plus!

The project you’re referring to is being done by the “Edwards Communities” side of the business:

Dublin Sees Apartment Project as Catalyst For Urban Neighborhood

The “Edwards Companies” side of the business has a pretty solid track record for urban development with Neighborhood Launch, 570 Lofts, and half of everything in the Brewery District.

A bit confusing to keep them straight. ;)

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t think there’s any parking attached, but multiple garages and lots within a block or two.

It’s also got great bus access being basically at Broad & High and good bike infrastructure around it. Close to a lot of jobs as well, so many could choose to live here and walk to work.

Word on the street is that they purchased the parking lot across Gay Street (the one mentioned in the Wasted Space article) and there is talk about a new parking garage…not exactly the best use of that land, in my opinion, but the developers were apparently asked to provide evidence that they could provide adequate parking for the apartments.

If that’s true, there is something seriously wrong with our downtown development commission. Downtown can’t possibly provide parking for every single resident.

billbix

That kind of thing is what I was afraid of. The last thing we need is to waste critical locations on new parking.

columbusmike
    Participant

billbix said:
    That kind of thing is what I was afraid of. The last thing we need is to waste critical locations on parking.

I agree. I don’t know of too many urban places where parking is a necessity for development. If the residents need a place to park their car, I’m sure they’ll find a garage somewhere. It doesn’t need to be part of the development requirements!

If this is true, it’s one step forward, and a giant step backwards for downtown.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 342 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Ring in the decade in style! Join us for an all-inclusive NYE celebration!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFO