Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

cost of eating out up 10%?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining cost of eating out up 10%?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mrpoppinzs

I have several apps which track my expeditures. It looks like the prices of going out to eat in my usual haunts (SN,AD) have increased 10%. It seems a big jump. I will have to triple check, but this has triggered my ocd radar.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Food costs have gone up a lot more than 10 perent in the past few years:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/inflation

It’s not too surprising to see restaurant prices increase to reflect that.

leftovers

Food costs in general have been on the rise. I have noticed prices creeping up at restaurants also. The $5 Taco Tuesday is now $7. Like rising gas prices it just makes us consume less. Fewer trips and less drinks. The prices appear to have jumped the most recently, maybe as owners feel the economy is recovering.

This chart is for home prices but it gives an idea of rising food costs. At the restaurant with higher costs you are also paying higher tips.

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/usdafoodcost-home.htm

From the chart is looks like food prices have gone up about 12% in the last 5 years. I am sure restaurants have added costs that have also risen.

RhondaH

The way to save money is to order less alcohol and just have the drinks at home. In the summer it is hard to beat a cold beer on the porch with company. I think this is one of the reasons for the vastly growing number of growler and craft beer stores. It really makes your restaurant dollar stretch much further.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: