Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Easton Town Center future development

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Easton Town Center future development

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Walker Evans Walker Evans 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

substance
    Participant

From the walk score it also looks like parks are lacking

McFly
    Participant

Surprisingly the Easton Commons apartments across from Crate & Barrel only have WalkScore of 62, can’t imagine the new apartments’ location would be much better.

http://walk.sc/1FcUrzq

Looks like the “WalkScore” is based on old data. The map doesn’t even seem to show half of the restaurants in Easton. It doesn’t show all the bars, either. It doesn’t count Trader Joe’s as a grocery store, or Target for that matter. (I wonder if it’ll consider Whole Foods to be a grocery store once it is in place?)

Based on all of that, I’m not sure I would trust that site for much of anything.

Easton could certainly use an extra coffee shop or two, and maybe another venue for live entertainment, but I think a little more apartment capacity will be a nice addition.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Easton could also use a light rail transit station.

substance
    Participant

I enjoy going to Easton, but it creeps me out a bit because there is no public space.

McFly
    Participant

Easton could also use a light rail transit station.

No doubt. I would love to see an Easton – Airport – Downtown – Campus rail line. Unfortunately, being green and reducing carbon footprint isn’t going to be enough to get that accomplished. It needs to be sold as a convenience… and that’s hard to do when people can drive that same route in 15 to 20 minutes.

keck.m
    Participant

At least it’s not another car lot.

ColumbusHearsAWho
    ColumbusHearsAWho
    Participant

The tenor of commentary regarding Easton on the CU cracks me up. At first, they called it a Town Center, and folks were like, “it’s not a TOWN. It’s a sprawling, soulless mall.” Then they announce a grocery store phase and a new residential phase and folks be like, “well who wants to LIVE there,” and, “where’s the public space?”

Keeping in mind that 90+% of central Ohioans make at least one trip to Easton every year. A handful of local businesses do well there, and, if you’ve ever worked there, it’s actually filled with smart, friendly, engaging customers. Really! They’re humans!

Should I mention that Steiner & Associates are now taking over the Campus Gateway? They must know something about development because they continue to grow, expand, and diversify.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Easton was one of the first developments of its kind, and as such misses the mark on some things, like not incorporating residential/offices into the actual main complex. Other developments after Easton (which copied elements from it) tended to improve upon that mistake. In any case, Easton is better than your typical enclosed mall, and it is successful for sure. Easton Gateway is another mistake, imo, because it abandoned many of the elements that make Easton different than you average strip mall. Overall, though, it’s still a mall and still not quite the mixed-use platform that true urbanity is made up of. It can always get better, though, and the owners do a decent job of keeping things updated and moving forward, so perhaps one day some of the mistakes can be fixed.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The tenor of commentary regarding Easton on the CU cracks me up.

Some people said one thing, and then some different people said a different thing later? That’s hilarious!

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.