Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Easton - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping Easton – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 108 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

surber17
    Participant

Just wondering, if mixed use was incorporated into Easton, would you consider living there?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

surber17 said:
    Just wondering, if mixed use was incorporated into Easton, would you consider living there?

I’m not looking for a new house myself, but I think it would be a very attractive/desirable option for many people.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Mixed use was the direction many lifestyle centers went after the success of Easton incorporating housing above the retail. Right now, Easton has too much of a shopping centric/mall mix of tenants but I think more housing on the periphery, like the Commons, built in a dense, walkable way would do just fine. Although, even those apartments feel somewhat disconnected with the mall. I would like to see Easton morph into a real town center rather than the mostly fake one that it is now. It certainly is not going in the right direction with the new car centric development along Morse.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I have to wonder how the Easton Code of Conduct would affect residential life if it were integrated into the middle of the shopping area. Your children would not be allowed outside of their homes by themselves after 8pm. You wouldn’t be allowed out of your house without your photo ID (don’t forget your wallet indoors when walking the dog!). Also, you wouldn’t be allowed to have a dog. Be sure to remember that you can’t wear your hood up on your hoodie when you go out for a run in the chilly morning. Also, you’re not allowed to run.

http://www.eastontowncenter.com/guestinformation/guestinformationdetails/tabid/294/articleid/223/code-of-conduct.aspx

Those are all fine “mall rules”, but they’re terrible “neighborhood rules”.

surber17
    Participant

@jpizzow – over the past year multiple stores were gutted all the way down to the steel so if they wanted to put apartments above stores in the future I think they could

@Walker – i agree those are terrible rules but i wonder if they would be needed if this became a real neighborhood. Once ownership comes into play people tend to keep an eye on things so I’m essentially saying, I think with residents, Easton would start to police/monitor itself

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Mixed-use residential/storefront remodels, much like what you find in centers like Crocker Park in the far west suburbs of Cleveland, may be necessary if Easton is going to remain relevant and continue to thrive over the long haul. I just can’t see them not wanting to echo similar mixed-used plans that are currently underway in Downtown Columbus, as well as in suburbs like Dublin and Westerville. Even Polaris is likely to get into the act eventually, though they will certainly have a more challenging path toward a mixed use overhaul than Easton, which is already quite walkable.

I imagine that the “community rules” will also have to be revised accordingly, or perhaps will simply be refocused to the mall itself.

InnerCore
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    …but I think more housing on the periphery, like the Commons, built in a dense, walkable way would do just fine.

I agree with everything else you said. But here is the catch 22 I see with the portion highlighted. The only portion of Easton that has a good street structure in the very inner portion. They’ve then surrounded that inner portion with very suburban style retail on outparcels. Then those outparcels are surrounded by huge arterial roads meant to carry a lot of cars. So by the time you get to the lots across the street like the Commons you feel very disconnected.

So let’s say you’re going to build residential on the empty lot at the SE corner of Morse Crossing and Easton Way. You’d be living across the street from a hotel and a Trader Joe’s. Now that sounds great but in this case they are both sitting behind a sea of parking. So basically your view across the street is this:

There is no one walking up and down these streets. You don’t get the same feel as being across the street from this:

So from a market perspective you’re trying to get someone to pay a premium that the urban product commands but the property doesn’t really feel like it. Think of the places where you really want to walk to. Restaurants, bars, corner cafe’s, dry cleaners, etc. They’d be nowhere in sight.

So you get places like the Commons that aren’t terrible successful. Move the Commons inside Easton loop with structured parking and you could charge the same rates as the new stuff going up downtown.

The other option would be to build on the parking lots of those outparcels and extend the pedestrian street network out from the center of the project.

InnerCore
    Participant

@Walker: Whenever I go to Easton those rules tend to be for when you enter the enclosed mall area. For example I remember a cop at the doors to the mall entrance policing young people as they come in. It seems harder to police people walking down an open air street.

wpcc88
    Participant

InnerCore said:

The other option would be to build on the parking lots of those outparcels and extend the pedestrian street network out from the center of the project.

I like this option.. I think frontage on the ‘avenue’ leading in to the Commons where Dicks, etc. whether it be offices or mixed-use would be great.. I think the Morse side is a lost cause

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

InnerCore said:

@Walker
    : Whenever I go to Easton those rules tend to be for when you enter the enclosed mall area. For example I remember a cop at the doors to the mall entrance policing young people as they come in. It seems harder to police people walking down an open air street.

Most all of the streets within the Easton shopping area are on private property and the rules apply both inside and outside of the mall. They’re not public streets.

surber17 said:

@Walker
    – i agree those are terrible rules but i wonder if they would be needed if this became a real neighborhood. Once ownership comes into play people tend to keep an eye on things so I’m essentially saying, I think with residents, Easton would start to police/monitor itself

NEOBuckeye said:
    I imagine that the “community rules” will also have to be revised accordingly, or perhaps will simply be refocused to the mall itself.

I disagree with both of you. If anything, I think more security would be added to ensure strong enforcement for residents as a selling point for them wanting to live within the community. Perhaps they might be a little more lax about wearing hoodies and jogging, but they’d probably just make a designated place for it.

Anyway, we’re all just talking hypotheticals here. ;)

InnerCore
    Participant

To me one of the better lots is the parking just west of Crate and Barrel and the parking just east of B&N. They should do 5 story wrap product with structured parking in the middle and retail on the ground floor.

For the young professional it would be perfect. You’d have a Trader Joe’s steps away and a couple of quick low cost options like Panera, Chirpotle, etc.

Then in the process the entire project would look much more inviting. So driving from the freeway up Easton way you’d see nice 5 story buildings with people walking up and down the side streets instead of parking lots.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

If only we had a rail line going to Easton, then it could be our Tysons Corner.

wpcc88
    Participant

jpizzow said:
    If only we had a rail line going to Easton, then it could be our Tysons Corner.

now you have me on board for the rail lines, not that it would’ve taken much.. IMO we need Amtrak as well, we’re either the 1st or 2nd largest city in the country without that service.. Cleveland>Cbus>Cinci with continued service to Pittsburgh, Chicago, DC, NY, etc. sure would be nice.. no need for high speed, good ole’ Amtrak would be nice

News
    Participant

Fenlon Square Opens Today at Easton Town Center
    Published on June 21, 2013 4:25 pm
    By: Walker

Easton Town Center grew a little bit bigger today with the grand opening of the new Fenlon Square expansion. This family-centric district is home to a mix of new and relocated stores including American Girl, Build-A-Bear Workshop, The Children’s Place, C. Wonder, Cymboree, Justice & Brothers, Le Chocoholique, Moochie & Co., The Rusty Buckey Tavern and more. In addition to the 50,000 square feet of retail, the area is also home to a new 517-space parking deck that includes high-tech interior signage to help drivers better navigate to available spaces.

PHOTOS: https://www.columbusunderground.com/fenlon-square-opens-today-at-easton-town-center

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 108 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION