Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

East of Clintonville?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion East of Clintonville?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

I was driving east on North Broadway today, past 71. The area seems really nice; small, nice-looking houses that seemed well priced. Is that considered to be part of Clintonville? It’s not really labeled on Google Maps. Anyone know about the area? All I can see is that it’s north of North Linden.

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I lived there for many years. It’s North Linden. The homes near Oakland Park nursery are especially well kept, they do a lot for the surrounding neighborhood. It’s a great place to live.

thanks! wikipedia claims that north linden “has the highest crime rate in Columbus, Ohio since 2004.” it didn’t feel that way driving around; am i missing something or is wikipedia wrong?

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I never experienced any crime my entire time there, a total of five years. I’ve been a crime victim multiple times since moving to my current home in North Campus. It’s mostly working families over there. Where I lived it was quiet, safe and very mellow. Only downside was COTA was harder to access out there (buses don’t run as often) and I didn’t like riding my bicycle home after dark, crossing 71 (via Hudson, Weber, N. Broadway or Cooke) was always scary for me.

Jimmy Mak
    Jimmy Mak
    Participant

I live in the neighborhood. The streets are basically half really well maintained houses with nice people and half section 8 types with tenants who don’t really care about maintaining their houses, yards etc. Beware of houses on your street that are ‘for rent.’ I happen to have neighbors from hell – trash in their yards, shady deals going on, cops frequently called. I love my house and my yard and honestly, many of the people I’ve met who live across and down the street seem like really nice people. I would say if you’re moving there definitely check out your neighbors first (of course, mine moved in after me so it wouldn’t have done any good …)

Elizabeth Lessner
    Participant

I lived on Dunedin, right near Oakland Park Nursery. It was great. I have friends on Piedmont and Acton that love it there. That whole area around Oakland Park Nursery is pretty well maintained. I know the area varies greatly depending on the street.

jn4jenny

I recently bought a house in that area, north of the intersection of Cooke and Morse Rd. We love it so far and the neighborhood seems quiet and annoying-neighbor free. We paid less than half what you’d pay for a similar house in Clintonville and the house still has plenty of charm (1959 model with hardwood throughout). I was initially skeptical of looking in this area, but my realtor said there were deals to be had in this neighborhood and that the “bad crime” is based in North Linden proper, more SE of where we bought.

Bethany
    Bethany
    Participant

Hi, this is a very old thread but I wanted to ask.. has this neighborhood improved? gotten worse? stayed about the same? Any info appreciated! Thanks :-)

maveric1
    Participant

My parents just bought a house just south of Cooke by the Tree of Life School. Nice, quiet neighborhood. Most of the people in this street seems older, retired population.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Hi, this is a very old thread but I wanted to ask.. has this neighborhood improved? gotten worse? stayed about the same? Any info appreciated! Thanks :-)

Still very much depends on the area. Basically if you are north of Weber and East of Cleveland Ave, it’s decent, but otherwise you’ll be in our version of Detroit.

Bethany
    Bethany
    Participant

Thanks so much for the input!

Liner Notes
    Liner Notes
    Participant

I’ve lived in the Maize Rd Civic Association service area for over a year now. It is a quiet neighborhood with mostly home owners who are working class families and/or retirees. People generally take care of their property, but a few do not. When living in the Short North, I was often the victim of petty theft either from my yard, porch or car. I have experienced nothing of the sort in this area. Though I do know a neighbor who had a really good garden going and someone stole her beautiful cabbages.

countessbranca
    Participant

I live in the area, and I do not find it to be particularly unsafe. I experienced more theft and run-ins with troublemakers living in the campus areas and Clintonville than I have here (none so far), but I also feel the need to exercise reasonable caution.

I would also recommend checking out the street and talking to some of the neighbors. My street is technically in Clinton Township. It occasionally feels a little like the wild west in that there is not a lot of ‘community’ exactly, but everyone does have an eye out for each other. It also has its own police and fire departments and snow removal. The only problems we have had have been with a transient renter or two.

The affordability of the area, given the amount of space and proximity to town, is worth the trade offs of curb appeal, access to public transit, and walk-ability.

Geno99
    Participant

I recently bought a house in that area, north of the intersection of Cooke and Morse Rd. We love it so far and the neighborhood seems quiet and annoying-neighbor free. We paid less than half what you’d pay for a similar house in Clintonville and the house still has plenty of charm (1959 model with hardwood throughout). I was initially skeptical of looking in this area, but my realtor said there were deals to be had in this neighborhood and that the “bad crime” is based in North Linden proper, more SE of where we bought.

The northern border of “North Linden” is Cooke Rd. The “higher crime” area of North Linden is much farther south, like south of N.Broadway and south of Weber. When you get south of Hudson, I believe you’re in South Linden at that point.

The affordability of the area, given the amount of space and proximity to town, is worth the trade offs of curb appeal, access to public transit, and walk-ability.

Actually transit is not too bad. There are buses that run up Karl and Maize and also cross-towns on Oakland Park, N. Broadway and Morse.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I lived over there just south of Cooke for about 10 years without any problems. The best area is going to be north of N. Broadway and West of Karl. You really have to go street by street and pick the right street. For instance, some of the area south of Tree of Life school and west of Maize is affected by a large old rental complex near the highway. There are a couple of rental complexes that are where most of the issues are, but it’s mostly self-contained. I also had a garage, which is a good feature to look for in a house. For us it was a good place to get a starter house, which we paid off and got equity so that we could move over into Clintonville about a year and a half ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION