Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Welfare in Ohio - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Welfare in Ohio – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)
  • Author

DavidF
    Participant

rus said:
    Because those on public assistance should be spared the indignity of being treated like government employees, employees of government contractors, etc.

Because yet again another unnecessary intrusion in the peoples lives and bodily sovereignty would be avoided. I’ve already stated my stance on drug testing in general so don’t try to use the every does it argument with me.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Because yet again another unnecessary intrusion in the peoples lives and bodily sovereignty would be avoided. I’ve already stated my stance on drug testing in general so don’t try to use the every does it argument with me.

I’ve already shown that drug testing can be cost effective. I don’t think we disagree that drug testing is commonly accepted; you may think that’s a bad thing, but it’s not uncommon nor without precedent.

So don’t try some bullshit with me about sovereignty. If you want to make drug use legal, say so. Ideologically I’d even support it, even though I’d never use them personally.

However, while it’s illegal and public monies are fraudulently diverted to pay for them that’s a problem. Sure, fight fraud economically. If that means drug testing isn’t cost effective then don’t do that, but if it is cost effective don’t avoid it just because someone from the other side suggested it.

DavidF
    Participant

rus said:
    I’ve already shown that drug testing can be cost effective. I don’t think we disagree that drug testing is commonly accepted; you may think that’s a bad thing, but it’s not uncommon nor without precedent.

So don’t try some bullshit with me about sovereignty. If you want to make drug use legal, say so. Ideologically I’d even support it, even though I’d never use them personally.

However, while it’s illegal and public monies are fraudulently diverted to pay for them that’s a problem. Sure, fight fraud economically. If that means drug testing isn’t cost effective then don’t do that, but if it is cost effective don’t avoid it just because someone from the other side suggested it.

1. You know I support legalization.
    2. I don’t say it would be economical. I believe it would simply divert monies from attempting to help people to budgets that are used to punish people (i.e. law enforcement, courts, prisons). These people don’t just vanish from the face of the earth once you cut them off. It simply doesn’t solve a problem other then move the public monies to a different pot.
    3. Screw you. I’ve crossed ideological lines plenty of times if I thought it made sense. Again, something you know all too well.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    1. You know I support legalization.
    2. I don’t say it would be economical. I believe it would simply divert monies from attempting to help people to budgets that are used to punish people (i.e. law enforcement, courts, prisons). These people don’t just vanish from the face of the earth once you cut them off. It simply doesn’t solve a problem other then move the public monies to a different pot.
    3. Screw you. I’ve crossed ideological lines plenty of times if I thought it made sense. Again, something you know all too well.

1. No I didn’t.
    2. Ideally, the lack of support would force them to make life changes for the better, but that gets into personal experiences I will not share on a public forum.
    3. Name one time. I can’t recall any such event.

DavidF
    Participant

rus said:
    1. No I didn’t.
    2. Ideally, the lack of support would force them to make life changes for the better, but that gets into personal experiences I will not share on a public forum.
    3. Name one time. I can’t recall any such event.

Never mind. I’m not gonna start digging up unrelated threads. Let’s leave it at this. I’m not an unconscious ideologue. If something makes sense to me, I will concede the point as I have numerous times on this site. This proposal neither makes sense, nor is it actually designed to.

rus
    rus
    Participant

DavidF said:
    Never mind. I’m not gonna start digging up unrelated threads. Let’s leave it at this. I’m not an unconscious ideologue. If something makes sense to me, I will concede the point as I have numerous times on this site. This proposal neither makes sense, nor is it actually designed to.

Suffice to say that drug testing with what we know right now does not make sense. It could, but right now it doesn’t.

DavidF
    Participant

rus said:
    Suffice to say that drug testing with what we know right now does not make sense. It could, but right now it doesn’t.

Consensus! For now of course… ;)

News
    Participant

Welfare cases in Ohio tumble
    BY KATE GIAMMARISE
    BLADE STAFF WRITER

Ohio’s welfare rolls continue to decline sharply, statistics from the state show. Declining participation is part of the reason Ohio will likely avoid a federal penalty of $135 million, but critics charge the state’s most vulnerable children and adults are being denied needed assistance.

READ MORE: http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/09/23/Welfare-cases-in-Ohio-tumble.html

News
    Participant

Ohioans’ Food Stamp Benefits To Decrease Next Year
    November 12, 2012
    by The Associated Press

Ohioans who get food stamp benefits could see that aid shrink by about $50 a month next year, partly because of a change in how the government calculates utility expenses for recipients.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2012/11/12/ohioans-food-stamp-benefits-to-decrease-next-year/

News
    Participant

Food Stamp Fraud: A Constant Problem
    By: TED HART | NBC4i.com
    Published: January 28, 2013

The recent recession led to a record number of people participating in government food assistance programs. In Ohio, the number of participants in the “SNAP” program, formerly known as food stamps, swelled to 1.9 million in 2012.

Eligibility is based on income and when incomes fell during the recession, the numbers of recipients went up. Ben Johnson, spokesman for the Ohio Department of Job and Family Service said the increase demonstrates the program’s effectiveness.

READ MORE: http://www2.nbc4i.com/news/2013/jan/28/food-stamp-fraud-constant-problem-ar-1331271/

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

As liberal leaning as I am, the food stamp program is one that could use some serious overhaul. I know of a number of people, personally, who receive benefits that really probably shouldn’t. While anecdotal, I have to think it speaks to wider spread issues.

sirlancelot
    Participant

After reading the Sunday Dispatch article concerning unemployment and decline of the middle class, cutting Food Stamps would be a mistake. Focus on fraud, yes, but realise that we face a social explosion or worse if people go hungry. Charity foodbanks are already overwhelmed.

News
    Participant

Food Stamp Recipients Forced to Work 20 Hours a Week in Exchange for $132 a Month in Food Stamps
    September 10, 2013

Ohio is apparently overrun with lazy bums needing food and whatnot. This’ll teach them:

Gov. John Kasich’s administration will limit food stamps for more than 130,000 adults in all but a few economically depressed areas starting Jan. 1.

READ MORE: http://www.alternet.org/food-stamp-recipients-forced-work-20-hours-week-exchange-132-month-food-stamps

lattethunder
    Participant

News said:
    Food Stamp Recipients Forced to Work 20 Hours a Week in Exchange for $132 a Month in Food Stamps
    September 10, 2013

Ohio is apparently overrun with lazy bums needing food and whatnot. This’ll teach them:

Gov. John Kasich’s administration will limit food stamps for more than 130,000 adults in all but a few economically depressed areas starting Jan. 1.

READ MORE: http://www.alternet.org/food-stamp-recipients-forced-work-20-hours-week-exchange-132-month-food-stamps

$1.65/hr on average? Nice!

Would this even be legal?

Graybeak
    Participant

Wow, certainly no bias or slant in that blog post…

The food stamps are not the only compensation they would receive from working a job. They would still receive their wages from the place they are working, and the food stamps would be supplemental. (much like working at Wal-mart, from what I have read)

Now, as far as volunteering, no one gets paid for that, hence the name.

Job training usually costs money, unless being trained by a company you are going to work for (luckily the government also pays for job training)

Plus, this policy is only directed at “able bodied adults without children”.
    What else are they going to do with their time if they don’t have jobs already?

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 144 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: