Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Welfare in Ohio - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Welfare in Ohio – News & Updates

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #496974

    Oak
    Participant

    Rockmastermike: Thanks for the well wishes. Here is even the kicker – almost all of my family is in law and/or law enforcement (including me again) and we can’t seem to find the right method to get her clean. From experience, arrest isn’t the answer. Drug addiction is as much psychological as it is physical. But my mom and step-dad keep trying.

    cheap: You’re right – I have pretty much written her off. I only talk to her on Thanksgiving and Christmas when i’m forced to be around her. However she keeps causing me problem when agencies i’m applying with want to talk to my family for my background and she says some pretty crazy shit to them. She also does make my mom a wreck.

    #496975

    Twixlen
    Participant

    rustbelt said:
    If only facts killed off endemic right-wing myths…

    This is not about facts. It’s about class warfare, which according to conservatives, if supposed to be off limits.

    They cut drug treatment programs to the bone then complain there might be some addicted welfare recipients.

    With “welfare” defined as poor people who get government assistance. Definitely not as people who get tax breaks, tax abatements, government grants, government loans and so on.

    +2

    Either on All Sides on WOSU or other random NPR/PRI programming, there was a story-line regarding drug addiction and state assistance. Ohio was specifically mentioned as having curtailed assistance services to such an extreme rate as to be essentially useless. There are so few programs left, so few people who know how to access them – yet the waiting list is massive. She had an example of someone who’d decided to get clean (prescription drug abuser), after having tried to get clean on their own (which doesn’t really work with those sorts of meds, and can even kill someone), and sought assistance. Was told that the next appointment to have an evaluation to enter a program was 6 weeks in the future – then there would be an additional wait to get into a program after that. For someone ready to get clean, that’s a huge blow. They need help NOW, not two months from now.

    #496976

    misskitty
    Participant

    Here I will tell you something highlarious,
    My neighbors use to be a good dude and at some point in the past, few years got addicted to pills. He lost his job so now he sells them. So traffic day and night it’s a mess but
    Wait it gets better,
    So now he tells me that the oxy’s messed him up and were not good for his makeup so now he has drug induced lupus. The cherry on top is that now he gets to sit on his high ass all day and sell pills without worries of money why ? Because he is now considered disabled and collects more than 2 grand a month from SSI , disability, and food stamps , also his wife makes bank as well since she “cares” for him she makes 10 bucks a hour to also sit around high all day and sell pills. This is what I am paying for in fact we all pay for this type a shit what can you do? Nothing keeping paying them to stay high and do nothing because it is the only way.
    So is it just Welfare that is abused? No not at all people abuse everything.

    #496978
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Do people on welfare in the hood smoke blunts? Yes. But it’s the nastiest commercial brick seedy dirt weed you’ve ever seen. Do I care? Naw. If they were smoking kb’s on the other hand I’d say that was messed up.

    #496979
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Twixlen said:
    (which doesn’t really work with those sorts of meds, and can even kill someone)

    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000949.htm

    Opioid withdrawal reactions are very uncomfortable but are not life threatening. Symptoms usually start within 12 hours of last heroin usage and within 30 hours of last methadone exposure.

    Depends on the pills in question, but it’s not life threatening.

    Alcohol withdrawal, though, can be.

    #496980

    misskitty
    Participant

    rus said:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000949.htm

    Opioid withdrawal reactions are very uncomfortable but are not life threatening. Symptoms usually start within 12 hours of last heroin usage and within 30 hours of last methadone exposure.

    Depends on the pills in question, but it’s not life threatening.

    Alcohol withdrawal, though, can be.

    What !?! Yes it is at times Life threatening I have personally help clean some people up for a short time I assure you there is lots of risks involved that can kill ya. Convulsions, choking to death on vomit when you pass out and hit floors, dehydration just to name a few. That does not take into account the issues your heart and body goes through during withdraw. I have been through it as well I assure you it’s no easy task.

    You will live if you make it past this and don’t jump off a building first.

    #496981

    Twixlen
    Participant

    rus said:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000949.htm

    Opioid withdrawal reactions are very uncomfortable but are not life threatening. Symptoms usually start within 12 hours of last heroin usage and within 30 hours of last methadone exposure.

    Depends on the pills in question, but it’s not life threatening.

    Alcohol withdrawal, though, can be.

    Alcohol – definitely.

    Opiates – depends on the person, and particular pill cocktail. Usually, people aren’t just taking opiates, but mood/emotion alterers as well. For some people, opiate withdrawal can lead to potentially fatal side effects, tho it is unusual. I think I’m more thinking of when it’s mixed with some of the heavy-duty anti-depressants.

    #496982
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Twixlen said:
    I think I’m more thinking of when it’s mixed with some of the heavy-duty anti-depressants.

    Oh, the benzos? Those do act similarly to alcohol, sure.

    #496983

    Cookie
    Member

    I don’t know what a “heavy-duty antidepressant” is, but benzodiazepines are not antidepressants.

    #496984

    misskitty
    Participant

    What we really need is a better system to help those in need that want it. No one is going to get clean unless they hit their personal bottom and everyone’s is different. We also would greatly improve by having people working in the systems that have actually experienced withdraw first hand. Because people randomly talking out of their ass about what’s best and what really happens during this time without ever actually knowing what it’s like is pretty dam insulting and pointless because you can only know so much from a slip your company hands you to read off of.

    #496985
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Cookie said:
    I don’t know what a “heavy-duty antidepressant” is, but benzodiazepines are not antidepressants.

    Figured Twix was using the term colloquially. Thanks, though.

    #496986

    Twixlen
    Participant

    rus said:
    Oh, the benzos? Those do act similarly to alcohol, sure.

    Benzos are actually anti-anxiety meds – and can be hard as hell to break away from. Like, months of single digit microgramming down doses until you can finally be free.

    #496987
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Twixlen said:
    Benzos are actually anti-anxiety meds – and can be hard as hell to break away from. Like, months of single digit microgramming down doses until you can finally be free.

    Sure. Known a few people who have been down that road.

    So, if you weren’t lumping anti-anxiety meds in with antidepressants what did you mean?

    Broadly, if you’re saying that dealing with withdrawal can require medical intervention then I agree.

    #496988

    Oak
    Participant

    So this thread has kind of derailed into a pharmaceutical debate (of which I know nothing) so I’m going to try and re-rail (is that a word) it back on topic.

    So here is something that I can’t quite understand. How is asking people who want something to give something? If I want to be employed and work – I have to give them some pee. Our whole society is derived from give-and-take. How is it asking someone to give something nominal (I mean really, it’s pee, worth almost nothing)in exchange for something of real value causing them to be degraded? I don’t feel degraded when I take a drug test for work either in the private sector or the government sector. It’s just a part of the process. I don’t feel like my “right” to privacy is being invaded in the least.

    I’m kind of in the camp where signing up for government benefits is something that you willingly do. You have to fill out paperwork, prove you’re eligible, etc. It’s not compulsory – it’s voluntary. I would be more inclined to believe that the government making you take a drug test for something that you HAVE to do to be crossing a line – but not for something you voluntarily do.

    Another good example of this is high school sports. The government makes you go to school, so it shouldn’t require a drug test. However, high school sports is something you elect to do. So if you want to play, you can’t use drugs. If drugs is more important to you than sport, then you don’t play sports.

    I guess I just don’t fully understand the argument that making a government benefits recipient take a simple drug test is some great misfeasance. And I would really like to better understand that argument so in the end I can make my own opinion on the matter.

    #496989
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

    Oak said:
    So this thread has kind of derailed into a pharmaceutical debate (of which I know nothing) so I’m going to try and re-rail (is that a word) it back on topic.

    So here is something that I can’t quite understand. How is asking people who want something to give something? If I want to be employed and work – I have to give them some pee. Our whole society is derived from give-and-take. How is it asking someone to give something nominal (I mean really, it’s pee, worth almost nothing)in exchange for something of real value causing them to be degraded? I don’t feel degraded when I take a drug test for work either in the private sector or the government sector. It’s just a part of the process. I don’t feel like my “right” to privacy is being invaded in the least.

    I’m kind of in the camp where signing up for government benefits is something that you willingly do. You have to fill out paperwork, prove you’re eligible, etc. It’s not compulsory – it’s voluntary. I would be more inclined to believe that the government making you take a drug test for something that you HAVE to do to be crossing a line – but not for something you voluntarily do.

    Another good example of this is high school sports. The government makes you go to school, so it shouldn’t require a drug test. However, high school sports is something you elect to do. So if you want to play, you can’t use drugs. If drugs is more important to you than sport, then you don’t play sports.

    I guess I just don’t fully understand the argument that making a government benefits recipient take a simple drug test is some great misfeasance. And I would really like to better understand that argument so in the end I can make my own opinion on the matter.

    Can’t help there. I don’t care that these peoples feelings get hurt or not, I just think it’s wrong mostly because it’ll be a huge waste of resources to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 144 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: