Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Welfare in Ohio - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Welfare in Ohio – News & Updates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 144 total)
  • Author

rustbelt
    Participant

“Food stamps” in the traditional, hard copy sense have not existed in Ohio for at least 10 years.

myliftkk
    Participant

Oak said:
    Let me play devil’s advocate for just a hot second – supposed there is some good unintended consequences to this whole scenario.

What if they drug test welfare recipients and the tests show that in fact in Ohio there are very few people who are on drugs and on welfare. This in turn causes people to embrace social services because the urban myth of welfare druggies is gone.

With this new appreciation for social welfare, the general public starts to support it more and it’s no longer a sacrificial lamb in budget debates.

Additionally, those people who do come up positive for drugs are able to be referred to an agency that can help them deal with their substance abuse problem.

Why can’t this be a possible outcome? Why is the portrayal of this “Rich old white men making poor blacks pee in cups?”.

I think there is a valid urban myth that all people on welfare are drug addicts and that any research done in Ohio to create empirical data to prove one way or the other beneficial.

If only facts killed off endemic right-wing myths…

pedex
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Just like the testing of welfare recipients has already been ruled unconstitutional in MI – that hasn’t stopped any other states from trying to fling it through the gates.

It’s a ridiculous idea. The percentage of people involved is miniscule, the cost to the state is pretty huge, and the difference it makes is nil. It doesn’t help people. All it does is add an additional layer of shame to people who’re already in some pretty crappy straights.

If anyone should be tested, it’s bankers/traders/funders. The cocaine use in those places is off the chain.

I agree.

gramarye
    Participant

Oak: I see your point, but Rockmaster’s point still stands. The costs of catching the few drug-addicted users of public assistance outweighed the savings from denying those recipients the benefits. In that sense, the only argument for it rests on essentially a criminal justice model (the cost to imprison a rapist for 20-to-life is high, but we’re not justifying that expense as an investment with economic savings or returns to the community; the expense is justified by moral reasons). That is the reason that the issue is red meat for the social conservative base, of course–focusing on the expense is at least partially off the mark in their eyes because it is an issue of fundamental public morality. Those of us who begin with at least a certain level of fundamental uneasiness about the drug war itself obviously have a very different view of the morals of the issue–and that makes the economics of the issue a lot more prominent as an additional consideration.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

Oak said:
    Let me play devil’s advocate for just a hot second – supposed there is some good unintended consequences to this whole scenario.
    What if they drug test welfare recipients and the tests show that in fact in Ohio there are very few people who are on drugs and on welfare. This in turn causes people to embrace social services because the urban myth of welfare druggies is gone.
    With this new appreciation for social welfare, the general public starts to support it more and it’s no longer a sacrificial lamb in budget debates.
    Additionally, those people who do come up positive for drugs are able to be referred to an agency that can help them deal with their substance abuse problem.
    Why can’t this be a possible outcome? Why is the portrayal of this “Rich old white men making poor blacks pee in cups?”.
    I think there is a valid urban myth that all people on welfare are drug addicts and that any research done in Ohio to create empirical data to prove one way or the other beneficial.
    For full transparency – my sister happens to be a drug addicted welfare recipient. She’s completely hooked on prescription pills. I’d appreciate help from the state to get her clean so she can take care of her kids. My family has tried and nothing has worked because she keeps getting food stamps, cash and a roof over her head after we tried to cut her off. She couldn’t afford food or diapers, but she always had her pills and beer.

The experiment in Florida has provided some of that emperical evidence as you suggest (for people in florida) and the result has not gone as you would hope. People find it very easy to ignore or rationalize a way of discounting such things.

Good luck to you and your sister. I hope she finds her way to a better life. I do not know anything about treatment options, but some folks on CU do. I hope one of those people is reading this thread and can offer some advice for you.

DavidF
    Participant

Oak said:
    For full transparency – my sister happens to be a drug addicted welfare recipient. She’s completely hooked on prescription pills. I’d appreciate help from the state to get her clean so she can take care of her kids. My family has tried and nothing has worked because she keeps getting food stamps, cash and a roof over her head after we tried to cut her off. She couldn’t afford food or diapers, but she always had her pills and beer.

Nice post. Here are my basic objections:
    1. It ends up costing the state more money to administer the tests than it saves.
    2. Yes treatment would be wonderful, but what would happen here is that those testing positive would be simply kicked out of the system and left to fend for themselves (and their children).
    3. At what level of public aid do we lose basic constitutional rights? If a farmer takes a farm subsidy, can we randomly piss test him? 20+ years of a pervasive, always in your face drug test culture, and what progress has been made?

No one proposing these laws has the best interests of drug addicted people at heart.
    As has been stated previously, this is simply about whipping up the far right crowd against the degenerate poor. (Because obviously if you weren’t a degenerate, you’d have a job and wouldn’t be poor right?)

Rockmastermike
    Participant

rustbelt said:
    “Food stamps” in the traditional, hard copy sense have not existed in Ohio for at least 10 years.

Physically, not, but there are still ways to divert money from food assistance to alcohol and other uses. Call it what you want.

pedex
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    In a perfect world we would surprise-test for coke all the banking douchebags who got TARP money back in ’08 and ’09 and sue for triple repayment if they piss dirty.

You really wanna open up a can of worms? start busting the bankers for their money laundering of drug $$ instead of minor fines like UBS got. Instead they should have their charters to operate rescinded and put them out of business.

rustbelt
    Participant

This is not about facts. It’s about class warfare, which according to conservatives, if supposed to be off limits.

They cut drug treatment programs to the bone then complain there might be some addicted welfare recipients.

With “welfare” defined as poor people who get government assistance. Definitely not as people who get tax breaks, tax abatements, government grants, government loans and so on.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    Physically, not, but there are still ways to divert money from food assistance to alcohol and other uses. Call it what you want.

Truth.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

pedex said:
    You really wanna open up a can of worms? start busting the bankers for their money laundering of drug $$ instead of minor fines like UBS got. Instead they should have their charters to operate rescinded and put them out of business.

Oh yeah. there are all kinds of fun things the regulators could and probably should do if they actually had any teeth. But they don’t and they won’t.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

rustbelt said:

This is not about facts. It’s about class warfare, which according to conservatives, if supposed to be off limits.

They cut drug treatment programs to the bone then complain there might be some addicted welfare recipients.

With “welfare” defined as poor people who get government assistance. Definitely not as people who get tax breaks, tax abatements, government grants, government loans and so on.

+1

misskitty
    Participant

If this had not already proven to be a fail and welfare was the only system that was abused it may have a better impact IDK,. However, as it is the cash assistance program they are talking about is just not worth the effort or money. You don’t make bank with only cash assistance it’s in many ways to really make that work.

cheap

Oak said:

my advice?move on.

i have a family member in exactly the same situation.she’s sucking the govt. tit dry while swilling her Smirnoff coolers and oxycontin(foot pain??wtf).

she turned my mom into a nervous wreck.

my brother still falls sucker for her sad stories,but i wrote her off.case closed as far as i’m concerned.

misskitty
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:

Yep people sell their cards all the time we get many offers weekly, 2 for 1 on the money and if they’re really hard up It’s even cheaper then that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 144 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: