Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Drudge Report Sets Targets on Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Drudge Report Sets Targets on Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 257 total)
  • Author

cory

berdawn wrote >>

cory wrote >>
    Whether the mayor agrees with it or not, he doesn’t shouldn’t speak on behalf of the city of Columbus without asking us what we think.

actually, he does…what with being duly elected an all. kind of how our state and fed representatives do.
    not city council though, at least in Columbus.

I’m familiar with how the elected official thing works… I just think if he is going to jump on the boycott bandwagon, he could be like, “Hey Columbus, what do YOU think about our city retaliating against Arizona because I don’t approve of their law?” But you’re right, he is elected and doesn’t have to. I just wont be giving him my vote.

pilsner
    Participant

Your paranoia’s gonna destroy ya.

I’ve had the same job for 14 years and have only gotten out my Social Security card out a few times to open up bank accounts. A national biometric id card would be the same. Use it to get a job or open a bank account, otherwise keep it in a lockbox.

That’s far different from requiring Hispanic-looking U.S. citizens to carry birth certificates or passports everywhere they go or face jail time. And, whatever you claim rus, they will be required to carry papers. What other documentation proves citizenship? A driver’s license or state id does not.

Obama has posted his birth certificate publicly and it’s still not enough for the conservative moonbats. You one of those birthers–rus, gram, hugh, cory?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

lol @ pilsner calling others paranoid.

comedy gold!

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>
    Columbus is a liberal city too with a diverse population. Scarey mayor Coleman is in power with cops that write tickets.
    Are you curled up in the fetal position, Hugh?

Not really. As a former prosecutor and someone who has spent much of his life working for the government, I know how ineffective government power really is. Just because you pass a law to solve a problem does not mean the problem will be solved. Just because Mayor Coleman does not like my views does not mean that I am worried about getting tickets.

Now, if Columbus police start arresting white, middle class, boringly dressed men, walking around downtown without their drivers license, THEN I might get worried. Hopefully my government ID card (that I always carry on my midday walks) would be enough to keep me out of the pokey.

kit444
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>

Now, if Columbus police start arresting white, middle class, boringly dressed men, walking around downtown without their drivers license, THEN I might get worried. Hopefully my government ID card (that I always carry on my midday walks) would be enough to keep me out of the pokey.

Just make sure you carry the proper identification and you’ll be okay.

Tenzo
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>
    Here’s what the Gestapo law supporters ….

Stopped reading right there. More hate

berdawn

hugh59 wrote

Now, if Columbus police start arresting white, middle class, boringly dressed men, walking around downtown without their drivers license, THEN I might get worried.

nothing wrong with a statement like that. america, fuck yeah!

ETA: class, race, and gender privilege all in one tidy package. thanks for a delicious mid-day chuckle.

This is interesting:

[quote]During fiscal year 2009, the first full fiscal year of Obama’s presidency, 387,790 immigrants were deported — almost 100,000 more during the last full fiscal year of the Bush presidency.[/quote]

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

“The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.”

Quoting Aristotle doesn’t an argument make.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

True. I don’t know what the hell it means either, I just thought it was interesting and perhaps relevant – or at least more relevant than berating someones use of CAPS.

Yay, go internet!

Klablut

Tenzo wrote >>

Klablut wrote >>
    I like Mike on this. Az should suffer the consequences of their bigotry and stupid law(s).

Stupid democracy. We should be able to tell them what to do. Send in the red coats.
    [quote]So, this travel restriction seems largely symbolic.
    [/quote]
    No no it’s not. They say YOU shouldn’t do something. They never said THEY wouldn’t do that same thing. wadya think, everyone gets to make their own informed choice or something?
    pfffffft

Oh please – AZ has every right to make any kind of law it sees fit unless interfering with the civil rights of it’s citizens. The right of an individual, group or another government to speak up and take a stand against an unjust law is the hallmark of democracy. Every American shld be against a law that asks “papers please.” It was only after initial outcry that the new Hitler, err new Gov. Brewer amended the law to add the person must commit another crime first before asking “papers please.” You know like, OFFICER: You ran a stop sign. BROWN-COLORED CITIZEN: No I did not. OFFICER: Papers please.
    In a bad economy, blame the minorities. Heck, it worked wonders in Germany. It is almost a decade after 9-11 and the fact that our borders are porous is a travesty but so too is this law.

kit444
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    True. I don’t know what the hell it means either, I just thought it was interesting and perhaps relevant – or at least more relevant than berating someones use of CAPS.
    Yay, go internet!

You have an issue with people making tangential snarky comments?

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

berdawn wrote >>

hugh59 wrote
    Now, if Columbus police start arresting white, middle class, boringly dressed men, walking around downtown without their drivers license, THEN I might get worried.

nothing wrong with a statement like that. america, fuck yeah!
    ETA: class, race, and gender privilege all in one tidy package. thanks for a delicious mid-day chuckle.

Hmmm, somebody seems to be reading more meaning into my message than was intended. Oh well, glad to give you a chuckle.

rus
    rus
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>
    What other documentation proves citizenship? A driver’s license or state id does not.

First, you calling other’s paranoid is yet another sign you’re off your meds, the tinfoil is too tight, or both.

Second:
    http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/columns/Byron-York/A-carefully-crafted-immigration-law-in-Arizona-92136104.html#ixzz0mKIwsPhr

[quote]But what if the driver of the car had shown the officer his driver’s license? The law clearly says that if someone produces a valid Arizona driver’s license, or other state-issued identification, they are presumed to be here legally. There’s no reasonable suspicion.
    [/quote]

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 257 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.