Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Drudge Report Sets Targets on Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Drudge Report Sets Targets on Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 257 total)
  • Author

Here’s one of the reason the law’s trouble (I apologize for the all caps, it’s copied and pasted):

FOR ANY LAWFUL STOP, DETENTION OR ARREST MADE BY A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF THIS STATE OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIAL OR A LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY OF A COUNTY, CITY, TOWN OR OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISION OF THIS STATE IN THE ENFORCEMENT OF ANY OTHER LAW OR ORDINANCE OF A COUNTY, CITY OR TOWN OR THIS STATE WHERE REASONABLE SUSPICION EXISTS THAT THE PERSON IS AN ALIEN WHO AND IS UNLAWFULLY PRESENT IN THE UNITED STATES, A REASONABLE ATTEMPT SHALL BE MADE, WHEN PRACTICABLE, TO DETERMINE THE IMMIGRATION STATUS OF THE PERSON, EXCEPT IF THE DETERMINATION MAY HINDER OR OBSTRUCT AN INVESTIGATION. [b]ANY PERSON WHO IS ARRESTED SHALL HAVE THE PERSON’S IMMIGRATION STATUS DETERMINED BEFORE THE PERSON IS RELEASED[/b].

So to be clear, you may be cleared of whatever you were arrested for, but kept in prison indefinitely unless you can show you’re not an illegal alien. That’ll be hard to do from prison.

But the main problem, as has been pointed out here, is that people–regardless of their legality–are going to be targeted because of the color of their skin. The law’s inclusion of language that says racial profiling is forbidden is undercut by the law’s absence of a definition for “reasonable suspicion.” The police will have all the discretion in the world in deciding who is “reasonably suspicious” and who is not.

Because of how this law will likely be enforced, a strict scrutiny analysis will be triggered, which will require that the state of Arizona show not just a compelling interest in enforcing this law, but that it was essentially the only way in which to achieve whatever compelling interest they articulate.

It will struggle mightily to achieve that.

As to the suggestion by one pro-Arizona commenter, the fact that anyone that is pulled over has to show license and registration is irrelevant; the issue here is not the license and registration part, but the fact that people are pulled over in the first place.

jimbach
    Participant

RoundTowner wrote >>
    All of the illegals coming into Arizona should be placed on a bus and driven to Columbus. Then Coleman can deal with all of the costs and crime that come with them.

Other than the fact that their existence on this side of the border is by definition a criminal act, most studies I’ve seen show that illegal immigrants engage in less criminal behavior than legal residents/citizens.

RoundTowner wrote >> I am sure Coleman has not read the bill, he is just like all the others who think it is COOL to condemn something just because the close minded crowd is doing it.

It might be convenient to assume anyone who disagrees with you does so out of ignorance, but it’s probably not safe to do so.

RoundTowner wrote >> If I am pulled over for speeding or suspected in any crime, I must show ID, why shouldn’t they?

If you think hard you’ll realize you just answered your own question.

cory wrote >>

Aaron Marshall wrote >>

cory wrote >>

The 14th admendment protects the rights of citizens, not illegal immigrants who are hindering our economy and commiting crimes against our country. The law isn’t about how someone “looks,” it gives police the right to question the legal status of someone who has given them propable cause to believe they are in the country illegally. Jan Brewer knows what is best for her state and has said that racial profiling will not be tolerated. Maybe a better solution would be a national ID card that is linked to someone’s social security number and can be used to check the legal status of ANYONE in the US.

This may not be what you want to hear, but the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment protects all people in the country not just citizens of the U.S.

In 1982 there was a Sup. Ct. case involving a Texas law that made illegal immigrants pay tuition to go to public school while citizens did not. The law was examined under a heightened scrutiny standard (not strict scrutiny such as is given to race, religion, national origin, and alienage) to determine whether it furthered a substantial goal of the State. Well, the gist of the holding was that the law was struck down on equal protection and illegal immigrants were able to go to school without paying tuition because citizens were allowed to (there is more to it than that, but you get the idea).

I truly have no comment on whether the law will be found constitutional but I am confidant there will be equally good arguments on both sides.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

jimbach wrote >>

RoundTowner wrote >>
    All of the illegals coming into Arizona should be placed on a bus and driven to Columbus. Then Coleman can deal with all of the costs and crime that come with them.

Other than the fact that there existence on this side of the border is by definition a criminal act, most studies I’ve seen show that illegal immigrants engage in less criminal behavior than legal residents/citizens.

RoundTowner wrote >> I am sure Coleman has not read the bill, he is just like all the others who think it is COOL to condemn something just because the close minded crowd is doing it.

It might be convenient to assume anyone who disagrees with you does so out of ignorance, but it’s probably not safe to do so.

RoundTowner wrote >> If I am pulled over for speeding or suspected in any crime, I must show ID, why shouldn’t they?

And that makes it okay?

rus
    rus
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>

Cookie wrote >>

pilsner wrote >>
    Here’s what the Gestapo law supporters don’t get:

If you’re going to wield that sort of HYPERBOLE, you need to use MORE CAPS.

You’re right, it’s not a gestapo law even though every legal Hispanic citizen in Arizona has to carry papers or face a few days in jail until things can be cleared up.
    They may as well fold their birth certificates into the shape of a star and pin it on their chests.

On one hand you’re advocating for a national biometric ID card as a replacement for the current social security card. On the other, you equate the carrying of ID with the holocaust.

Apparently, this makes sense to you.

berdawn

cory wrote >>
    Whether the mayor agrees with it or not, he doesn’t shouldn’t speak on behalf of the city of Columbus without asking us what we think.

actually, he does…what with being duly elected an all. kind of how our state and fed representatives do.

not city council though, at least in Columbus.

jimbach
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>

jimbach wrote >>

RoundTowner wrote >>

Other than the fact that there existence on this side of the border is by definition a criminal act, most studies I’ve seen show that illegal immigrants engage in less criminal behavior than legal residents/citizens.

And that makes it okay?

What makes what OK?

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Illegal immigrants committing crime is somehow okay because Americans commit more crime?

jimbach
    Participant

Snarf wrote >>
    Illegal immigrants committing crime is somehow okay because Americans commit more crime?

I don’t know if it’s okay or not. What’s not okay is making up ‘facts’ about a group of people simply because you don’t like them. It’s called ‘lying’, and whether it’s done out of ignorance or maliciousness, I have a problem with it.

pilsner
    Participant

rus wrote
    On one hand you’re advocating for a national biometric ID card as a replacement for the current social security card. On the other, you equate the carrying of ID with the holocaust.

Are you really that dense? It makes perfect sense that employers would be required to only hire people with national biometric id cards and that people applying for jobs submit the card before getting a job. Applying for a job is a rare event for most people.

That’s much different from Hispanic looking U.S. citizens (and ONLY hispanic looking citizens) being required to carry their birth certificates everywhere they go 24/7/365 or risk spending a few days in sherrif Joe Arpiaho’s jail.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Well, don’t walk around NYC without your ID on you, or you could end up in jail too. The cops have quotas to meet on making arrests and they don’t care if the charges are dropped.

But, NYC is a liberal city…nothing wrong with insisting that people carry ID there.

Yeti22 wrote >>
    When will this thread degenerate to the USA chant? U-S-A…U-S-A..U-S-A..
    I agree AZ has the right to pass whatever they want as long as it does not infringe on other rights. Next they will target Canadians.
    This does remind me of how Hitler came to power. Illegal immigrants will eat your babies while you sleep.

Wikipedia: Godwin’s Law
    We have a winner!

rus
    rus
    Participant

pilsner wrote >>

rus wrote

Are you really that dense? It makes perfect sense that employers would be required to only hire people with national biometric id cards and that people applying for jobs submit the card before getting a job. Applying for a job is a rare event for most people.
    That’s much different from Hispanic looking U.S. citizens being required to carry their birth certificate everywhere they go 24/7/365 or risk spending a few days in sherrif Joe Arpiaho’s jail.

Guess it’s a good thing there’s no requirement to carry a birth certificate. The identity documents acceptable to prove citizenship are spelled out in the AZ law.

Try reading it. Or are you waiting until someone posts the text on whackonutjob.com?

rus
    rus
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>

Wikipedia: Godwin’s Law
    We have a winner!

Had a few of those already. Nothing like comparing one’s opponents to Nazis to raise the quality of debate.

Throw in a few more misspellings and we’re the Dispatch comments section.

pilsner
    Participant

Columbus is a liberal city too with a diverse population. Scarey mayor Coleman is in power with cops that write tickets.

Are you curled up in the fetal position, Hugh?

rus
    rus
    Participant

hugh59 wrote >>
    Well, don’t walk around NYC without your ID on you, or you could end up in jail too. The cops have quotas to meet on making arrests and they don’t care if the charges are dropped.
    But, NYC is a liberal city…nothing wrong with insisting that people carry ID there.

When liberals demand everyone carry ID, it’s OK. When any inbred redneck subhuman from a flyover state even thinks of doing the same thing, they’re Nazis.

At least that’s the vibe I’m getting from Pilsner and company.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 257 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: