Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Drudge Report Sets Targets on Mayor Coleman

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Drudge Report Sets Targets on Mayor Coleman

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 257 total)
  • Author

Mayor Coleman’s banning of city travel to Arizona has been picked up by the Drudge Report. There are well over 1,000 beautifully-thought out comments (ha) on the Dispatch article already.

Either way, what say you all on the Mayor’s move?

Original Dispatch Article – “Coleman bans city-funded travel to Arizona”:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/05/19/Columbus-mayor-bans-city-travel-to-Arizona.html?sid=101

JonMyers
    Participant

I like that we’ve taken a stand. I support the position.

cory

The law is constitutional. If the Feds did their job and secured our borders, Arizona wouldn’t have to make laws at a state level. It’s easy for Coleman to say what’s best for Arizona when Huh? Columbus is not faced with the same problems as Arizona. Like the attorney general, I bet Coleman hasn’t even read the law. I won’t be voting for his re-election.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I 100% approve of Colemans symbolic gesture. It is downright scary that we have a place in the USA where the “wrong kind” of people are told “papers please” as they go about their life. History is repeating itself, and I dont look forward to what happens next.

JackieC
    Participant

cory wrote >>
    The law is constitutional. If the Feds did their job and secured our borders, Arizona wouldn’t have to make laws at a state level. It’s easy for Coleman to say what’s best for Arizona when Huh? Columbus is not faced with the same problems as Arizona. Like the attorney general, I bet Coleman hasn’t even read the law. I won’t be voting for his re-election.

What makes the Arizona law constitutional? Wouldn’t preemption apply wether the Arizona law compliments the Federal law or not?

Tenzo
    Participant

Evidently he has solved all problems in Columbus and feels qualified to judge states now

Analogue Kid wrote >>
    It is downright scary that we have a place in the USA where the “wrong kind” of people are told “papers please” as they go about their life.

Luckily, no one is talking about any such thing.

Klablut

I like Mike on this. Az should suffer the consequences of their bigotry and stupid law(s).

Roland
    Participant

I think vocally opposing another state’s legislation is as far as a city mayor should take it. I don’t like SB1070, but I think what Coleman did is ridiculous.

How does it benefit Columbus? It doesn’t.

Patch
    Participant

Is this the same Michael Coleman that was called to Washington recently to discuss his handling of the Somali immigrants?

joev
    Participant

I think his action proved to immigrants in Columbus that they don’t have to worry about reactionary, discriminative local laws being made here. That’s how it benefits Columbus.

honavery

Wow, 2000+ comments on the Dispatch site now.

Bear
    Participant

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the volume of official City travel to the state of Arizona was over the past few years?

Just sayin’.

Though I admit, I’m a little annoyed that Arizona didn’t bother to threaten to retaliate against us, like they did against L.A. That alone makes me want to consider sterner measures. Maybe a boycott on Arizona Iced Te– wait, their headquarters is in New York. Maybe we could boycott sand? Or lizards….

Crap.

bman
    Participant

Rus and others here say (Az law) this is nothing to worry about, I think that is how Hitler was treated. He is no big deal, he just wants Austria, err Poland errr… France errr…. Great Britian errr… Russia.

Kudo’s Mayor Coleman for at least taking a stand.

Klablut

Coleman is joining a number of cities taking a stand. This is a list of cities banning travel and/or business with AZ companies: Seattle, El Paso, Los Angeles, West Hollywood, San Francisco, Austin, Boston, St. Paul, Boulder, San Diego, Oakland. The list grows daily so I am sure there are others out there. Other cities are on the verge of joining: Berkeley (Cols. beat Berkeley in boycotting? :), Milwaukee, Dallas, DC, NYC, Sacramento. In addition a number of union and other groups are boycotting. Interesting enough, a boycott is credited with AZ finally recognizing MLK day. Tucson and Flagstaff AZ are suing the state over this law.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 257 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: