Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Tech Investment in Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Tech Investment in Columbus

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

pretty nice article

COLUMBUS, Ohio — Chris Olsen believes the next great tech firm could emerge right here from the heartland.

Sure, Silicon Valley is home to most huge tech household names (Apple, Facebook, Twitter, eBay and so many more), with New York (Tumblr) and Boston (Trip Advisor) creeping up, but as he sees it, why not Ohio or Michigan?

Hundreds of brilliant engineers are churned out yearly from top Midwestern schools like Ohio State University and University of Michigan. Graduates shouldn’t have to leave for California to get funding for their dreams, he says.

So Olsen is literally putting investors’ money where his mouth is, with a $250 million fund to bankroll tech start-ups from the Midwest.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/talkingtech/2014/02/16/talking-tech–vc-firm-looks-to-midwest-for-next-great-tech-company/5393327/

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I guess the infusion of $250 million from OSU certainly helps. Seems Mark Kvamme made some bread while working for $1 for his buddy the guv. It will be interesting to see if any in the press decide to dig into the funding arrangements of Drive. I wonder if creating apps is a viable business/investment strategy. Seems more like a fad than a smart foundation. That said, I do miss the 20th century!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lazyfish said:
    I wonder if creating apps is a viable business/investment strategy.

(Pst! The answer is yes.)

News
    Participant

Apr 28, 2014, 2:29pm EDT
    Columbus beats Silicon Valley for deal prospects, VC investor says
    Carrie Ghose
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

Columbus has a right to some “swagger” based on what’s happening in its tech scene, says the head of one of the venture capital firms behind one of the largest deals statewide of the past two years. Chicago Growth Partners and Trident Capital, with $3 billion under management between them, have invested $60 million in online payments processor 2Checkout.com Inc., which plans to add dozens of jobs this year on the way to more hiring in the future.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/04/columbus-beats-silicon-valley-for-deal-prospects.html

News
    Participant

May 7, 2014, 10:57am EDT
    Call-center software maker Uptivity acquired by inContact for $46M
    Carrie Ghose
    Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

Call-center software maker inContact Inc. has acquired Columbus-based Uptivity, the former CallCopy Inc., for $46 million, the company announced Wednesday. Salt Lake City, Utah-based inContact (NASDAQ:SAAS) said the acquisition helps extend to mid-sized call centers its offerings of cloud-based, easy-to-use software to make operations more efficient without hiring productivity experts.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/05/call-center-software-maker-uptivity-acquired-by.html

News
    Participant

FORBES | 5/07/2014 @ 6:00AM
    Top Venture Capitalists Leave Silicon Valley, Bet Their Careers On Midwest
    This story appears in the May 26, 2014 issue of Forbes.

In San Jose or Mountain View there would be nothing notable about venture capitalists Mark Kvamme and Chris Olsen in a glass-walled room debating whether or not to write a multimillion-dollar check to Aver Informatics, a startup that shows businesses where health care is cheapest. But the trainloads of coal crawling by outside are a stark reminder: This isn’t California. It’s Columbus, Ohio, a city that had rarely hosted these sorts of discussions before Kvamme and Olsen arrived.

READ MORE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/danalexander/2014/05/07/top-venture-capitalists-leave-silicon-valley-bet-their-careers-on-midwest/

News
    Participant

Opinion: Ohio’s Well To Do – Time to Get Off The Bench – Seriously, Stop Being a Bunch of Wimps and Invest
    BY PAUL PROFFITT ON SEPTEMBER 25, 2015

You fell for the click-bait in the title… excellent. I have your attention for the next five seconds. I’m going to throw out a number: $700 million. Still have your attention? Good. $700 million is my estimate of the cash Ohio-based startups are looking to find, but can’t find because there are not enough investors and not enough capital sloshing around in the system. So what? Here’s the so what: those are startups that would be creating jobs, inventing new stuff, taking new products to market and…wait for it…returning s#&t loads of cash to investors.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/opinion-ohios-well-time-get-bench-seriously-stop-bunch-wimps-invest/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: