Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Retail - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Retail – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:
    …the SN’s vision of itself.

The what???

Pablo
    Participant

It’s the natural progression of things – national retailers will eventually take notice and locate to the SN.

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:
    The what???

The description of the Short North that I copied and pasted from the Shortnorth.org website and placed directly under my statement.

Perhaps most specifically, this quote:
    “The bohemian Short North, established by the unique businesses and entrepreneurs that comprise the district”

Graybeak
    Participant

Well, and if we do get all these fancy national brand retailers in the Short North area, to draw people in to shop, we still have one problem.

These shoppers are going to want to park somewhere… :)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:
    The description of the Short North that I copied and pasted from the Shortnorth.org website and placed directly under my statement.

Ah! The Short North Alliance’s vision of the Short North. I thought the neighborhood itself had become sentient. ;)

Anyway. I don’t see anything in there about them being exclusively boutique/local/indie, and I’m not sure if they would object to chain retailers looking to locate there. If so, they’ve been doing a bad job already since the Short North is already home to plenty of chains (White Castle, Donatos, American Apparel, numerous national bank branches, etc).

Graybeak
    Participant

OK, you know what. I give up.

You win.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Graybeak said:
    OK, you know what. I give up.

You win.

???

Just having a conversation.

News
    Participant

Lessons from Grand Rapids: MoDiv
    ENTREPRENEURIAL SUPPORT — BY WALKER EVANS
    OCTOBER 8, 2013 AT 8:00 AM

Grand Rapids is successfully answering the question that many mid-size cities have been asking themselves for decades: How can we bring more retail businesses back into our Downtowns?

Their answer: MoDiv.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/lessons-grand-rapids-modiv/

2thDoc
    Participant

It sounds like Grand Rapids beat us to it, but I hope to see this project go through.
    “Pearlynn”?

Pearl Alley Facelift Proposed for 2013

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The *really* interesting thing about MoDiv to me, is that it’s completely a private venture. The City of Grand Rapids was not involved in its creation, nor a business association or improvement district.

I’d love to see a private developer step up in Columbus to do something similar.

News
    Participant

Day Companies Looks to Fill Unique Downtown Storefronts
    Published on December 3, 2013 11:20 am
    By: Brent Warren

The three-story brick building at 55 East Spring Street sits alone in a sea of surface parking lots. The first floor of the building, which has been empty since Cherry’s Art Center closed in 2012 after many decades of operation, is now being renovated by the Day Companies.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/day-companies-looks-to-fill-unique-downtown-storefronts-bw1

heresthecasey
    Participant

A new clothing/accessories/home goods store opened up recently in the Capitol Square shopping arcade between State St and Columbus Commons.

‘State and Third’
    Hours, Mon – Fri: 11:00 am – 6:00 pm
    Sat: 10:00 am – 3:00 pm

More info on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/stateand3rd

storefront

windows-1

windows-2

heresthecasey
    Participant

Boutique bridal shop leases space in downtown’s Gay Street retail corridor

Jenny Bartosek and sister Lesley Bartosek will lease 1,800 square feet on the street-level of 36 W. Gay St. in September or early October to fill what they see as an opening for a boutique operation that’s also close to a Diamond Cellar jewelry store.

Downtown Columbus has just three boutique bridal shops while downtown Cincinnati has 11.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/06/13/boutique-bridal-shop-leases-space-in-downtown-s.html?page=all

News
    Participant

A Tale of Two KickStarts: Sweet Simpliciteas (worst of times)
    Oct 7, 2014, 2:49pm EDT
    Carrie Ghose – Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

Sweet Simpliciteas LLC closed its artisanal tea shop the last week of September, just five months after opening in rent-free Third Street space the business won in the KickStart Columbus competition.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/10/a-tale-of-two-kickstarts-sweet-simpliciteas-worst.html?page=all

News
    Participant

A Tale of Two KickStarts: Team Chipmunk (best of times)
    Oct 7, 2014, 2:50pm EDT
    Carrie Ghose – Staff reporter – Columbus Business First

Liz Bourgeois probably would have waited about two years before opening a retail shop for her original clothing designs had she not won a year of free rent for a downtown storefront through the annual KickStart Columbus competition.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2014/10/a-tale-of-two-kickstarts-team-chipmunk-best-of.html?page=all

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE