Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Retail - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Retail – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Retail Market Overview 1st Quarter

Spring 2013 is a busy time for the Columbus Retail market. As several established retailers are taking part in the revitalization of the downtown area, others are hitting the Central Ohio market for the first time.

The Hills Market, a staple in the Worthington community, is capitalizing on the influx of apartments and condos in the downtown area. A new 12,000 SF store opened mid-March at 95 N. Grand Avenue in the Discovery District. Hills downtown site is slightly smaller than the Worthington location, yet offers much of the same local and organic products as well as indoor and outdoor seating options to enjoy prepared food.

READ MORE: http://blog.ohioequities.com/?p=2321

rory
    Participant

Philadelphia’s City Council president is proposing a “non-utilization” tax for vacant properties to motivate owners who are just sitting on property. I can think of some Columbus downtown property that might benefit not mention quite a few vacant houses.

Clarke plans bill on vacant properties

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

With thousands of new apartments and hundreds of people moving back downtown and surrounding neighborhoods I wonder if large retailers based in Columbus are looking to the future to open up shop back downtown? I could see Limited starting a retail revival downtown by adding Bath & body and maybe one of their other stores.

RhondaH

Stephen43215 said:
    With thousands of new apartments and hundreds of people moving back downtown and surrounding neighborhoods I wonder if large retailers based in Columbus are looking to the future to open up shop back downtown? I could see Limited starting a retail revival downtown by adding Bath & body and maybe one of their other stores.

I can see that happening in an already developed section like Gay Street. I doubt they would setup in other areas though without pre-existing retail traffic.

I also think the days of large anchor stores is over. Old Navy and Bath & Body seem about the right footprint.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RhondaH said:
    I can see that happening in an already developed section like Gay Street.

There’s not really any room on Gay Street.

RhondaH

Walker said:
    There’s not really any room on Gay Street.

Tell that to the landlords. ;)

Some existing businesses might be pushed out to other areas, which might help expand downtown retail. I can see it turning into something like Walnut St in Pittsburgh. There is a lot more nearby residential in Shadyside though.

Walnut Street is most well known for its upscale shopping, concentrated between South Aiken Street and South Negley Avenue. Some stores include Apple, American Apparel, Banana Republic, Chico’s, Coach, Gap, J.Crew, Moda, Pottery Barn, Talbots, United Colors of Benetton, Victoria’s Secret, White House Black Market and Williams-Sonoma. It is also known for its fine dining and charming private boutiques.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Stephen43215 said:

Wexner’s stores were some of the last holdouts at City Center, and didn’t close up until the bitter end. Of course now the number of brands he owns is fewer, but I think a Bath and Body Works at the very least would be successful downtown. And if placed on High St near Gay or close to the Commons, could act as a catalyst to spur further retail developments in the area.

Stores selling merchandise that can appeal to office workers browsing on their lunch breaks, as well as residents and visitors I think would be the strongest right now.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RhondaH said:
    Walnut Street is most well known for its upscale shopping, concentrated between South Aiken Street and South Negley Avenue. Some stores include Apple, American Apparel, Banana Republic, Chico’s, Coach, Gap, J.Crew, Moda, Pottery Barn, Talbots, United Colors of Benetton, Victoria’s Secret, White House Black Market and Williams-Sonoma. It is also known for its fine dining and charming private boutiques.

I can see some of those types of stores coming to the Short North before Gay Street.

bucki12

Walker said:
    I can see some of those types of stores coming to the Short North before Gay Street.

+1 Though we already have it at Easton & Polaris so I am not sure we need it 3 times. I am willing to drive the twice a year I want to go to the Apple store.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

bucki12 said:
    +1 Though we already have it at Easton & Polaris so I am not sure we need it 3 times. I am willing to drive the twice a year I want to go to the Apple store.

Maybe not an Apple store, but I could see The Gap, J. Crew, Bath & Body Works or Victoria’s Secret finding a home in the Short North pretty easily and seamlessly in the not-too-distant future.

InnerCore
    Participant

Walker said:

+1. Usually an an area goes through a growth period. During that period rents start out low so you get the mom and pop boutique stores coming in. As the area gains in popularity more and more of these shops open up. The larger chain stores don’t want to come to the area because they deal in volume, so the lower rent isn’t appealing to them.

However once enough of the the smaller shops create enough demand, the larger chains come in because now there is enough volume. But the larger chains are able to pay higher rents as you reach a mature market. The smaller boutique stores are then pushed out to other areas with lower rent and the cycle repeats.

I’d assume eventually stores like the Limited brands will come to the SN pushing the boutiques out. All the young hipsters will complain about how the area to is transitioning to cater to lame yuppies and move to the next growing market which will probably be Gay st. or somewhere else downtown.

Graybeak
    Participant

Not sure how those types of stores fit in with the SN’s vision of itself.

Known as Columbus’ “art and soul,” the culturally rich Short North is pioneering the urban revitalization of Central Ohio. Visitors are invited to explore this vibrant area known for the wide variety of amazing art, dining, nightlife, fashion, home décor, and unique gifts. The bohemian Short North, established by the unique businesses and entrepreneurs that comprise the district, offers something to interest all visitors within its 200+ experiential destinations.

billbix

It would be interesting to compare the foot traffic passing a storefront at Easton to that in the SN and also to look at the economic positions of those demographics.

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

I could see something like Bath & Body in the Lazarus building or going in at Highpoint. Its a small step but it could really help to change the face of retail downtown. Not that its not already happening.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Not sure how those types of stores fit in with the SN’s vision of itself.

Known as Columbus’ “art and soul,” the culturally rich Short North is pioneering the urban revitalization of Central Ohio. Visitors are invited to explore this vibrant area known for the wide variety of amazing art, dining, nightlife, fashion, home décor, and unique gifts. The bohemian Short North, established by the unique businesses and entrepreneurs that comprise the district, offers something to interest all visitors within its 200+ experiential destinations.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how one looks at it, this is just part of the life cycle of most revitalizing retail corridors. I’m sure residents in Greenwich Village or SoHo thought the same as our Short North residents fearing the eventual corporate takeover. From recent rumors of Chipotle in the Fireproof building to a “major upscale chain home décor store” in the Pizzuti development, it looks like that takeover may be in the beginning stages. I could see an H&M, Express, Express Men, Jos A Banks, Apple or West Elm doing very well in the Short North.

I personally would love to see the next major urban retail corridors pop up along East Main Street between downtown and Bexley, W Broad Street and the Long/Spring corridors.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION