Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Retail - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Downtown Retail – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Columbus Commons park raising hopes for retail surge

Business First – by Martha Leonard

Friday, July 1, 2011

When Columbus Downtown Development Corp./Capital South released its 2010 strategic plan for downtown, hundreds of people came forth with responses, many about High Street.

“People said they take pride in High Street and want to see it get priority,” Taylor said. “Historically, High Street has been a key corridor. People who don’t come downtown a lot define downtown by High Street.”

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/print-edition/2011/07/01/development-officials-hope-new-park.html?page=all

News
    Participant

Independent retailers wanted for Mile on High development
    Governance — By Melanie McIntyre on June 21, 2011

The core of Columbus’s central business district is currently home to numerous surface parking lots and vacant storefronts. However, the city is actively working to change that through the Mile on High initiative.

Mayor Michael Coleman unveiled the initiative —designed to encourage local, independent businesses to set up shop in the section of downtown bounded by Spring Street to the north, Mound Street to the south, Front street to the west, and Fourth Street to the east— in his 2008 State of the City address. A complementary incentive package was assembled by City Council in late 2009 and Kacey Brankamp began serving as a full-time downtown retail recruiter the following year.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/indie-retailers-wanted-mile-high/

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Park’s success inspires neighbor
    Sunday, July 24, 2011
    BY MARLA MATZER ROSE
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

After sitting vacant for several years, the former Wendy’s/Tim Hortons space on High Street could be getting a new tenant. Schottenstein said he’s close to signing a deal to lease the space.

The retailer, which he declined to name, would join other recent additions to the neighborhood – the Cup O’ Joe and Huntington Bank office across the street in the Lazarus building.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/07/24/parks-success-inspires-neighbor.html?sid=101

heresthecasey
    Participant

Facing Columbus Commons, Arshot has erected a giant mural showing what the area will look like by next spring. Schottenstein said his company still is seeking bids on the project to add a new entrance and plaza and still needs to finalize plans with the city and Columbus Commons developer Capitol South.

His hope is that the project will be completed “before the first note is played on the new stage” scheduled to be added to the park by next spring, he said.

If they build a plaza onto that side of the building, won’t that screw with plans to put an actual building there? (And also not cover up that ugly ass side of the building that is a parking garage)

eta: I saw Plaza Properties did a ‘quick fix’ to make their buildings across from Columbus Commons look not as bad. Seemed to consist of stickers with the address put up over non-functioning signs and a plywood cover put over the existing awnings. Here’s hoping they do a little more permanent and involved work on the buildings soon… They really are eyesores.

johnwirtz
    Participant

Retail will never work in downtown as long as those low-life people without cars have a way to get there.

cbustransit
    Participant

@john…sarcasm, right? sarcasm. for sure.

@heresthecasey…i think that was capital south that did the awnings, not plaza properties…not sure where i heard that tho. and yes, capital south hasn’t made the best design decisions lately. the same awnings all the way across the lazarus building that don’t offer any shade…and the same black awnings on those s. high buildings that just cover up the other awnings? really guys? really?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

heresthecasey said:
    If they build a plaza onto that side of the building, won’t that screw with plans to put an actual building there? (And also not cover up that ugly ass side of the building that is a parking garage)

I think the infill development phase of Columbus Commons is still pretty liquid at this point, no? I was under the impression that the renderings provided were ideas of what they want, but there’s no developer on board yet with concrete plans.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    Retail will never work in downtown as long as those low-life people without cars have a way to get there.

Cota just removed the Northbound Rich St bus stop adjacent to the Commons on High St. The stop was never very busy and the State and Main St bus stops are so close. Any other time I would buy the argument that Cota is trying speed up service downtown, but since not pissing off non-user of transit seems to be the main goal in Columbus I can’t help but wonder.

johnwirtz
    Participant

cbustransit said:
    @john…sarcasm, right? sarcasm. for sure.

Yes, of course.

heresthecasey
    Participant

Walker said:
    I think the infill development phase of Columbus Commons is still pretty liquid at this point, no? I was under the impression that the renderings provided were ideas of what they want, but there’s no developer on board yet with concrete plans.

I know that there are no firm plans for it now, but I think making a significant investment that would impede those plans from being implemented in the future isn’t really that great of an idea. As in, “We can’t build a building here, it would get rid of that nice plaza I just paid for.”

I think a similar argument was made by many for the somewhat-bland, basically grass lawn, approach to the park at Columbus Commons, no? Something along these lines is why I’m taking issue with the plan for the plaza:

Walker said:
    Yeah… I’ve said it before, but I really don’t want a super stellar park that people will fall in love with. I’ll be pretty pissed off if the day comes for the next phase of development to occur there and we have anyone protesting the destruction of our beautiful sacred downtown park.

When there’s a blank wall and a harsh edge facing the park like the 5/3 building does now, it kind of screams out “Put a building here!” Whereas when there’s a new plaza, windows, doors, etc, that some building owner just spent good money on in the same spot, not so much…

Which is really a shame because I think that location and over where the Macy’s used to be are really the prime development spots for the whole park. I would hate to see one of them killed off with a tacky plaza that actually doesn’t help very much of anything, even aesthetics-wise.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

heresthecasey said:
    I know that there are no firm plans for it now, but I think making a significant investment that would impede those plans from being implemented in the future isn’t really that great of an idea.

Don’t get me wrong. I wasn’t suggesting that idea. I don’t think a simple plaza/patio should get in the way of a new mid-rise apartment building.

Just pointing out that the plans are in no way finalized at this point in time.

News
    Participant

Owners: City too sidewalk zealous
    By Lauren Hepler
    Saturday July 30, 2011

Fed up with what they call ongoing harassment by city code enforcers, Gay Street business owners who conduct some of their work outdoors are uniting to voice their concerns.

Meanwhile, city officials are backing off a plan to ticket violators of a sidewalk code that two weeks ago forced nine vendors out of Downtown’s Pearl Market and made others consolidate their operations.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/07/30/owners-city-too-sidewalk-zealous.html

News
    Participant

Retail insiders: Small businesses can fuel downtown commerce
    Business First by Rick Rouan, Web coordinator
    Date: Wednesday, May 30, 2012, 2:17pm EDT

A combination of independent and chain businesses is needed to restore downtown Columbus commerce, a local retail recruiter said Wednesday. Downtown has been left with a crush of vacant street-level retail space following the “long, slow, public death” of City Center mall, but the independent local businesses that have sprung up downtown aren’t necessarily enough to rebuild its business district, said Kacey Campbell Brankamp, retail recruiter at Capital Crossroads Special Improvement District.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2012/05/30/retail-insiders-small-businesses-can.html

News
    Participant

Downtown Retail
    Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 2012
    By Michelle Davey

Between 2000 and 2009, the 43215 zip code—most of downtown Columbus—lost 2,329 retail jobs, a change of 59 percent, according to the 2012 Franklin County Retail Report released in mid-May. The losses were mostly due to the decline of Columbus City Center. The 2009 decision to demolish the moribund mall, which occupied 1.2 million square feet of space, allowed for more focus on retail development in other parts of the city.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusceo.com/industry_news/commercial_real_estate/article_d98b2f1e-d116-11e1-92eb-001a4bcf6878.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE