Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Parking - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown Parking – News & Updates

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author

cadillackid
    Participant

at the time I bought my house, weinland park area was still pretty “hoody”.. the campus gateway project and the new Kroger as well as the garden siatrict revitalization have all taken place since 2004… so yeah now I would easily consider wienland park.. but of course im not going to sell my house anytime soon.. I just cant…

I totally agree on mass transit.. and im also not opposed as ive mentioned to parking elsewhere and riding the bus in the rest of the way… but for me to ride COTA in its current state.. I first have to walk 2 miles through a semi-truck district, or on a 45 MPH speed non-sidewalk rd to the nearest COTA route.. catch the 15 and come into town.. I honestly believe if COTA were to run some routes not IN the suburban subdivisions..but just to the entrances of each one in a given area that ridership would go up.. esp if those routes were designed to get people in and out at different hours. (not just toward downtown in morning and out at night)…

this topic really I think turning into a mass transit discussion is really what it is about.. whether it be parking cars or transit, the object is to get people into an area.. the more people that can frequent an area easily, the more it will go and thrive…

the more people that will ride a mass transit system, the more it will also grow and thrive… the trouble is changing the attitudes of many columbus area suburbanites.. which think “ewwww the bus!” as opposed to actually taking it now and then…

im sorry, but I still seem the general attitude is that a subrubanite like me is unwelcomed.. sorry you guys are just making me feel that way.. when ive explained several times that the only decent way i can get there is by car… 2 mile walk to a bus stop is not “convenient mass transit”.. I have done it.. the #15 winds around a lot so it takes me a good while to get there.. im OK with that.. but the walk is dangerous… so I could bike to the Bus.. except that the 2 times ive done that the bike racks were filled to capacity when the bus got to my stop… and the driver told me “sorry cant bring your bike.. wait for the next bus.. “30 minute run times”.. so yeah I drive into town!..

once the new Bikway is completed from the downtown area to Big run south park.. I’ll be able to Bike safely all the way to town.. (and I will in spring / summer).. but I cant find any timeline anywhere on when that section will be built..

the *REAL* point here is that you need PEOPLE for an area to thrive.. people that Live in an area will utilize that area a LOT for a certain amount of time.. then unless that area continues to change and grow.. theyll grow tired and patronize other areas.. allow outsiders to come in and you keep things flowing.. residents see and meet new people.. not the same ones.. visitors bring their friends.. etc. which also keeps residential units full.. as outsiders want to move in.. so they keep the rent prices high enough landlords make money and keep properties well maintained..

im not saying you have to get people there by CAR.. but right now we dont have trolleys, short COTA loops, trains, or anything like that…

I would be the first to jump on a train if, as mentioned by another post, the city would become connected.. a high speed rail system allowing people to move efficiently from one end of the city to the other (burbs included).. but unfortunately it seems the people with the $$$ dont want to get that done here..
    -Christopher

johnwirtz
    Participant

^Understood. There’s definitely a risk of being an early gentrifier of an area, but sometimes the rewards pay off for the risk-takers. I understand the difficulty in selling though. I’ve lost about half the value on my condo too.

I agree that COTA shouldn’t be trying to wind its way through suburban neighborhoods that are too low density to support transit service. I’d rather focus on frequency instead of coverage, meaning I would run more trips shorter distances, with the route termini at park and ride lots near freeway interchanges.

cadillackid
    Participant

running inside of low density neighborhoods is a foolish use of COTA.. but to have a regular schedule at the entrance / exit of such neighborhoods is good business i believe.. unless I give the suburban public too much credit to think many would ride transit if it were convenient..

to me park and rides would be a great use of otherwise abandoned suburban strip shopping centers.. and we all know there’s lots of them…
    -Christopher

News
    Participant

No Parking, No Problem
    Monday, April 1st, 2013

It is almost considered a truism in Indianapolis that one of the biggest obstacles to getting people to come downtown to shop, see the sights, etc. is a lack of free, convenient parking. People driving in from the suburbs are forced to either park on the street, where they will most likely have a bit of a walk to their destination, or have to pay to park in an off street lot or garage. Suburban malls, office parks, etc. all have large free surface parking lots right in front of the door. This provides them with an advantage, and keeps people away from downtown. Right?

Wrong.

In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. The reality of the matter is that parking has virtually nothing to do with whether people do or don’t come downtown. It is a deciding factor at the margin in the worst case.

READ MORE: http://www.urbanophile.com/2013/04/01/no-parking-no-problem-2/

News
    Participant

How to Find the Best Parking Spots in Columbus
    Published on October 18, 2013 7:15 am
    By: David Dean

If you have ever receive a ticket for parking on a permit only street, or paid $40 to park on a coed’s front yard a mile from Ohio Stadium, the title of this article might come off as a bit of an oxymoron. But take a second and see why Columbus truly is one of the more car-friendly major cities.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/how-to-find-the-best-parking-spots-in-columbus-dd2

News
    Participant

Parking Meter Restrictions Removed on Third and Fourth Streets Downtown
    March 27, 2014 4:30 pm – Walker Evans

On-street parking is about to get easier throughout central Downtown as 190 parking meters will have rush hour restrictions lifted starting on April 7th. The changes come from recommendations outlined in the Downtown Action Plan, as well as ongoing requests from Downtown visitors and residents.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/parking-meter-restrictions-removed-on-third-and-fourth-streets-downtown

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Parking Panda Looks to Ease Downtown Parking
    BUSINESS PROFILES — BY SUSAN POST ON NOVEMBER 4, 2014 AT 8:00 AM

Finding parking in downtown Columbus definitely wouldn’t top anyone’s list of things that are fun or easy. Baltimore-based Parking Panda recently entered the Columbus market with their app and online platform designed to make the task a bit less of a headache.

READ MORE: http://www.themetropreneur.com/columbus/parking-panda-looks-to-ease-downtown-parking/

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Do they have info on open meters as well?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Still too many surface lots… Via Capital Crossroads:

News
    Participant

Parking Lot Booths Transformed into Public Art Installations
    May 7, 2015 1:54 pm – Walker Evans

Last summer we announced a new public art program that would replace five simple parking lot shacks with more interest visual pieces that would add a public art component into the middle of these surface parking hardscapes. The program, known as Bold Booths, has officially launched with the first of those five booths now installed in the Great Southern Hotel parking lot near the intersection of High Street and Main Street.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/parking-lot-booths-transformed-into-public-art-installations

News
    Participant

Columbus Tries to Improve the Parking Experience With Weird Architecture
    JOHN METCALFE

You have to feel for parking attendants, stuck in that cramped box, often without decent A/C, dealing with impatient motorists all dang day. It makes you wonder: Would their lives be improved if instead of a booth they worked inside a green, airy, biomorphic entity known as “The Slug”?

Actually, that would be an extremely weird thing to wonder. Yet Columbus, Ohio, has it on the brain with an ongoing project known as “Bold Booths.” Using grant money from Ohio State University, professors and architects are designing permanent booths for parking attendants that, they say, “produce transformative urban experiences.” The first went up this summer outside a Westin hotel, and at least three more are planned for 2015.

READ MORE: http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/11/columbus-tries-to-improve-the-parking-experience-with-weird-architecture/415281/

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 72 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE