Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Parking - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown Parking – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #396240

    InnerCore
    Participant

    Graybeak said:
    Not just abundance of parking is the problem in the SN, it is a lack of adequate parking that makes it such a pain to deal with. I would rather go somewhere that it is easy to park than have to drive around for 30 minutes to find a spot then walk the half mile or whatever to my final destination. Especially in crappy weather.

    If the “priorities in mind” are getting people to visit, patronize businesses, see art, whatever, they need to be able to get there, without getting all cheesed off in the process.

    But that’s the issue, the SN doesn’t need to get suburbanites to visit. With increased density the area is growing to the point where it can sustain itself. We’re not talking about an Easton where everyone has to drive in or it to thrive.

    The establishments in SN could be put anywhere. But the reality is that having them in a dense walkable format is what makes it appealing. It’s why it more enjoyable to go to SN than other boring suburban areas. People are moving to these areas because they want to be able to live in this environment. And these is enough parking for local residents.

    But then people living in the suburbs see how great the neighborhood is and then want to come and spend their time there. But they want the neighborhood to fundamentally change and add extra parking just for them. But if they did that for all the people who wanted to visit then it alter the neighborhood. Afterall the only real difference between SN and many stip malls is just the layout. You could go out to Dublin and rearrange the retail, shopping and dinning establishments to be just as vibrant as SN.

    Now of course the other option would be to implement mass transit. That way suburban residents could get in and out of the area without the need for a car. But it’s usually the suburban folks who are the ones voting against mass transit because they don’t want to pay for something they don’t see themselves using.

    #396241

    jbcmh81
    Participant

    Graybeak said:
    Not just abundance of parking is the problem in the SN, it is a lack of adequate parking that makes it such a pain to deal with. I would rather go somewhere that it is easy to park than have to drive around for 30 minutes to find a spot then walk the half mile or whatever to my final destination. Especially in crappy weather.

    If the “priorities in mind” are getting people to visit, patronize businesses, see art, whatever, they need to be able to get there, without getting all cheesed off in the process.

    I would think abundant parking and adequate parking are just about one in the same.

    Again, history has repeatedly shown that building a car-oriented environment does not support an urban, diverse neighborhood. Just the opposite. I understand that cars are always going to be a part of the equation, but I just have never been of the viewpoint that urban neighborhoods should be built with auto traffic in mind. I view them as opposing forces. Besides, you will simply never be able to accomodate all auto traffic in the limited space of dense neighborhoods.

    In any case, is the SN really hurting for business traffic? It seems to have the best street-level activity in the city.

    Also, I think all this debate really shows is that Columbus needs more mass transit options. Rail from downtown to select suburban locations would certainly help this situation. But alas, I don’t want to turn this into a rail debate.

    #396242

    jbcmh81
    Participant

    mrpoppinzs said:
    @jbcmh81

    That seems a little overboard in a ‘cutting off the nose to spite the face’ kind of way. Wouldn’t a new COTA link as described fix a lot of the congestion and help further justify some of the taxes we all (urban & surbanite) pay that go to COTA.

    It would only help with congestion if suburbanites were willing to take the bus from where they live, if it’s even available. How likely is that? If they drove to Downtown and then took the bus up High, they would still need parking Downtown.

    #396243

    InnerCore
    Participant

    mrpoppinzs said:
    I believe that the new parking garages will help somewhat with parking congestion in the SN.

    This isn’t going to help at all. When it first opens a few extra people are going to park here. So initially it will relieve a little bit of congestion. Then after a few months it will be pretty much filled. Then people will simply complain for more parking.

    Meanwhile the 250 parking spaces is going to take up about 100,000 sf. Instead that 100,000 sf could be used to house 75 units with parking, so probably close to antoher 115 residents. I’d rather have another 115 residents in the area instead of 250 parking spaces.

    mrpoppinzs said:
    I would love to have a free COTA loop bus as has been discussed running from the downtown to 5th and High for both tourists and visitors, they could utilitize some of the extra spaces downtown has to offer in the evening.

    Rubber tire trolley – bridge the gap before light rail

    That was my thought when I created that thread. There are numerous undseriable areas. You could created a designated area and build a tall structure parking garage and then people could ride the trolley around the dense urban area.

    #396244

    InnerCore
    Participant

    jbcmh81 said:
    It would only help with congestion if suburbanites were willing to take the bus from where they live, if it’s even available. How likely is that? If they drove to Downtown and then took the bus up High, they would still need parking Downtown.

    We agree mostly except for here. It’s about utilizing your space efficiently. So for example take the parking garages near the arena. They fill up during the day from office workers and at night during events. But the majority of evenings there is plenty of excess capacity. But people don’t want to park there and then walk 15 min to SN. If there was a trolley running to and from this garage every 10 min you would need less parking in SN, add more revenue to the existing garage and create more activity between the two.

    There is also a garage on Spring and Front that would be perfect for that as well. It’s already there and pretty much sits empty on the weekends and at night when people are more likely to want to visit SN.

    #396245

    cadillackid
    Participant

    with 40% of my home’s value in the burbs lost its near impossible to think of moving to the city.. on the other hand when I bought my house.. prices in the SN were prohibitive of me living in anything other than an at the time half slummy apartment with no central A/C , no garage (own a classic car in an urban area.. garages are non existent..).. fireplace? yeah right.. so alas im like a lot of people that live in the burbs and frequent the SN area.. its really sad to see that neither I nor my money is wanted.. (or after some of these posts even feel welcomed.. you paint me to be one of those evil suburbanites invading your urban space!!).. maybe the fact i spend close to $500 a month in the SN / downtown area is meaningless to the rich people that spend thousands a week there…

    have I personally had an issue parking? most of the time I dont .. as I know the time to be there and where to park on what days to avoid the problem.. and i dont mind walking.. since thats what I go to the SN to do…

    however to the post that mentions cars degrading the walking experience.. I agree.. and to that point is the constant gridlock of cheesed off drivers trying to squeeze cars into unthinkable spots.. or darn near running over people in cross-walks to get that space.. if those people were parked they wouldnt be constantly creating gridlock and degrading the pedestrian experience…

    im in agreement that surface lots are ugly.. but in many cities i travel I do see garages in urban areas.. ft lauderdale las olas area,, austin’s 6th stree.. houston midtown district, West Hollywood strip.. all have a parking garage somewhere in their districts..

    however I still dont like the attitude that suburbanites arent welcome.. or our cars arent.. im sorry columbus is a city built around the car.. if COTA could get me to the SN when I want to go, id use it.. but it cant.. and cabs in columbus if you can catch em.. would surely cut into the amount of $$ I soend at SN businesses.. so for now you are all stuck with me and my honda Civic or Jeep Wrangler so get over it!
    -Christopher

    #396246
    rus
    rus
    Participant

    Graybeak said:
    Not just abundance of parking is the problem in the SN, it is a lack of adequate parking that makes it such a pain to deal with. I would rather go somewhere that it is easy to park than have to drive around for 30 minutes to find a spot then walk the half mile or whatever to my final destination. Especially in crappy weather.

    If the “priorities in mind” are getting people to visit, patronize businesses, see art, whatever, they need to be able to get there, without getting all cheesed off in the process.

    +1

    But it looks like outsiders aren’t welcome. Which is fine; I can spend money elsewhere.

    #396247
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    cadillackid said:
    comparing columbus to chicago is not even close.. as we have a (sorry im blunt) CRAPPY public transit system to get people into town for an evening out… as a result no one uses it..

    Just because you don’t use it doesn’t mean no one uses it…

    COTA Leads the US in Transit Ridership Growth in 2011

    #396248

    InnerCore
    Participant

    cadillackid said:
    with 40% of my home’s value in the burbs lost its near impossible to think of moving to the city.. on the other hand when I bought my house.. prices in the SN were prohibitive of me living in anything other than an at the time half slummy apartment with no central A/C , no garage (own a classic car in an urban area.. garages are non existent..).. fireplace? yeah right.. so alas im like a lot of people that live in the burbs and frequent the SN area.. its really sad to see that neither I nor my money is wanted.. (or after some of these posts even feel welcomed.. you paint me to be one of those evil suburbanites invading your urban space!!).. maybe the fact i spend close to $500 a month in the SN / downtown area is meaningless to the rich people that spend thousands a week there…

    There is a reason why you’re suburban home is losing value while SN prices are steadily increasing. And the less parking has a lot to do with it. Imagine if you would have bought that slummy aparmtment without a garage *gasp*, how much better off you’d be.

    And no one said anything about you not being welcomed. It was your car that isn’t welcomed. Again, how are we going to build spaces for all the people that want to come to the SN? What are we supposed to do with all the empty space when no one is using it 90% of the time during the week?

    But regardless this is the problem that Columbus is facing right now. The amenities urban lifestyle are getting more and more expensive and without mass transit folks in the suburbs are going to find themselves on the outside looking in.

    cadillackid said:
    im in agreement that surface lots are ugly.. but in many cities i travel I do see garages in urban areas.. ft lauderdale las olas area,, austin’s 6th stree.. houston midtown district, West Hollywood strip.. all have a parking garage somewhere in their districts..

    These are fundamentally different areas. Take Houston’s midtown district for example. It’s a lot more dense and spread out than SN. SN is essentially High st. You’re dropping down to single family homes only a block away.

    Now if you wanted to go and know down these low density houses and put up 3 – 5 story multifamily buildings, then with the space saved you could add a lot of extra garages.

    cadillackid said:however I still dont like the attitude that suburbanites arent welcome.. or our cars arent.. im sorry columbus is a city built around the car.. if COTA could get me to the SN when I want to go, id use it.. but it cant.. and cabs in columbus if you can catch em.. would surely cut into the amount of $$ I soend at SN businesses.. so for now you are all stuck with me and my honda Civic or Jeep Wrangler so get over it!
    -Christopher

    Again the attitude isn’t that suburbanites aren’t welcome, it’s the additional space needed for the car that isn’t welcomed. Columbus may be a city that is built around cars but the SN isn’t. SN should continue to cater to residents and people willing to travel to and from on mass transit.

    #396249
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    cadillackid said:
    im sorry columbus is a city built around the car..

    Columbus was founded in 1812, about 100 years prior to the Model T. So more accurally, Columbus was originally built around walking and horse-and-buggies. ;)

    The car-centric development (demolishing of much of Downtown for parking lots and the sprawling suburban expansion) was only an invention of the past 50 years or so.

    And over the past decade, that trend has been reversing in and around Downtown as things continues to grow denser (from Grandview to Harrison West to the Brewery District and all things in between). There’s no need to continue to plan our urban areas as “auto centric” just because of the poor planning phases of the few decades prior.

    #396250

    jbcmh81
    Participant

    cadillackid said:

    however I still dont like the attitude that suburbanites arent welcome.. or our cars arent.. im sorry columbus is a city built around the car.. if COTA could get me to the SN when I want to go, id use it.. but it cant.. and cabs in columbus if you can catch em.. would surely cut into the amount of $$ I soend at SN businesses.. so for now you are all stuck with me and my honda Civic or Jeep Wrangler so get over it!
    -Christopher

    No one said that suburbanites aren’t welcome in the city- they are. The point was that they should not expect car convenience to be at the forefront of development outside of the suburbs. It’s been tried, and it failed.

    #396251

    jbcmh81
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Columbus was founded in 1812, about 100 years prior to the Model T. So more accurally, Columbus was originally built around walking and horse-and-buggies. ;)

    The car-centric development (demolishing of much of Downtown for parking lots and the sprawling suburban expansion) was only an invention of the past 50 years or so.

    And over the past decade, that trend has been reversing in and around Downtown as things continues to grow denser (from Grandview to Harrison West to the Brewery District and all things in between). There’s no need to continue to plan our urban areas as “auto centric” just because of the poor planning phases of the few decades prior.

    Exactly. I really think Columbus is reaching the point where it’s going to have more and more connectivity issues without more mass transit options. That said, suburbia has always been disconnected from city life. It was the entire base reasoning for its existance in the first place.

    #396252

    jbcmh81
    Participant

    rus said:
    +1

    But it looks like outsiders aren’t welcome. Which is fine; I can spend money elsewhere.

    It’s not a class issue, but a development one. You’re not a victim.

    #396253

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    InnerCore said:
    But that’s the issue, the SN doesn’t need to get suburbanites to visit. With increased density the area is growing to the point where it can sustain itself. We’re not talking about an Easton where everyone has to drive in or it to thrive.

    Bingo. We should be building enough density to support more walkable urban neighborhood centers throughout the city, so people can walk to businesses in their own neighborhoods instead of driving to the Short North. Then we should connect the neighborhood centers with fast, frequent transit.

    #396254

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    cadillackid said:
    with 40% of my home’s value in the burbs lost its near impossible to think of moving to the city.. on the other hand when I bought my house.. prices in the SN were prohibitive of me living in anything other than an at the time half slummy apartment with no central A/C , no garage (own a classic car in an urban area.. garages are non existent..).. fireplace? yeah right.. so alas im like a lot of people that live in the burbs and frequent the SN area.. its really sad to see that neither I nor my money is wanted.. (or after some of these posts even feel welcomed.. you paint me to be one of those evil suburbanites invading your urban space!!).. maybe the fact i spend close to $500 a month in the SN / downtown area is meaningless to the rich people that spend thousands a week there…

    have I personally had an issue parking? most of the time I dont .. as I know the time to be there and where to park on what days to avoid the problem.. and i dont mind walking.. since thats what I go to the SN to do…

    however to the post that mentions cars degrading the walking experience.. I agree.. and to that point is the constant gridlock of cheesed off drivers trying to squeeze cars into unthinkable spots.. or darn near running over people in cross-walks to get that space.. if those people were parked they wouldnt be constantly creating gridlock and degrading the pedestrian experience…

    im in agreement that surface lots are ugly.. but in many cities i travel I do see garages in urban areas.. ft lauderdale las olas area,, austin’s 6th stree.. houston midtown district, West Hollywood strip.. all have a parking garage somewhere in their districts..

    however I still dont like the attitude that suburbanites arent welcome.. or our cars arent.. im sorry columbus is a city built around the car.. if COTA could get me to the SN when I want to go, id use it.. but it cant.. and cabs in columbus if you can catch em.. would surely cut into the amount of $$ I soend at SN businesses.. so for now you are all stuck with me and my honda Civic or Jeep Wrangler so get over it!
    -Christopher

    I think there’s plenty of affordable housing within a short bus ride, or even walk, of the Short North. Have you considered Weinland Park?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE