Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 403 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    Going up and down High st would NOT be a circulator, it would be a bus system.

why can’t a circulator serve a single street? DC has a handful of circulators, and each route remain primarily on one street.

Denver has a FreeMall bus, which serves 1 road as well. A circulator doesn’t necessarily have to travel a circular route.

bucki12

High St is the major entertainment street in Columbus, the highlight of which is the SN. This bus would circulate people to different destinations on it. Right now tourists/visotors tend to go to a destination and stay planted in that area. This would spread them and their money around while also mitigating some parking issues.

lattethunder
    Participant

geoyui said:
    why can’t a circulator serve a single street? DC has a handful of circulators, and each route remain primarily on one street.

Denver has a FreeMall bus, which serves 1 road as well. A circulator doesn’t necessarily have to travel a circular route.

I just pulled up a map of the DC circulators and they definately don’t only go down one street. The street grid in DC is… interesting, to put it lightly, but it appears to be 5 systems that serve different areas, although it would appear to be possible to ride all 5 circulators to get across the city.

InnerCore
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    I’m sorry, I can’t get past this part to figure out what you’re trying to say…

Going up and down High st would NOT be a circulator, it would be a bus system. And as you point out, we already have a bus system and it already goes up and down high street. You can get from the courthouse to the short north on multiple routes with far less than a 10 minute wait. We don’t need more of that.

No that is exactly what we need more of. The cirulator part comes from the fact that it constantly “circulates” not runs in a circle. If you are a tourist or you live in the suburbs and you come downtown you don’t want to take the time to figure out which bus to get on. You simply want to walk out of Pint House and hop on the next big transportation vehicle that doesn’t look like the rest of the buses knowing that because you’re on the east side of the street it’s going to go north up toward Brother Drakes. And when you get done at Brother Drakes you simply walk to the west side of the street and repeat the process.

I moved from DC to Miami and both have a bus circulator system that primarily serve one major street. It’s what makes them accessible to tourist and people who don’t commonly use public transit.

lattethunder said:Also, I disagree that it should mirror a rail line. It should do no such thing. Rail is for regional transportation, circulators are for neighborhoods, and yes, they very much can be used to complement bus service.

There are different types of rail. You wouldn’t use a street car line for regional transportation.

lattethunder said:So, if you have a neighborhood, in this case downtown, and you want a system which is not focused on the workforce but on residents/tourism (as indicated by the 7-10 7 days a week operating system) why would you build a route only down high st? How would that be better than a route up front and down third? Or even up front and down high as what is so far proposed? You would miss the majority of people and the majority of amenities that aren’t government offices.

You don’t miss a majority of the people because the people who live east or west of High st. can use these things called feet and walk to high st. Again if demand for people living more than a 5 min walk away from High st. got high enough then you could add another line running up another a street. But 3rd street is a very short walk away.

lattethunder
    Participant

bucki12 said:
    High St is the major entertainment street in Columbus, the highlight of which is the SN. This bus would circulate people to different destinations on it. Right now tourists/visotors tend to go to a destination and stay planted in that area. This would spread them and their money around while also mitigating some parking issues.

It’s a downtown circulator, not a short north circulator.

bucki12 said:

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

ChrisSunami said:
    What you’re saying makes sense to me, but how do you fund a free circulator? Does the city just directly subsidize it? This isn’t an objection –it’s an actual question.

ChrisSunami said:
    What you’re saying makes sense to me, but how do you fund a free circulator? Does the city just directly subsidize it? This isn’t an objection –it’s an actual question.

According to the meeting last night they are looking at potential partnerships with Downtown corporations to help chip in so that COTA can make it free or reduced fare.

lattethunder said:
    I’m sorry, I can’t get past this part to figure out what you’re trying to say…

Going up and down High st would NOT be a circulator, it would be a bus system. And as you point out, we already have a bus system and it already goes up and down high street. You can get from the courthouse to the short north on multiple routes with far less than a 10 minute wait. We don’t need more of that.

I think the strong things about the circulator are the free/reduced fares, high frequency, and branded service. I consider myself a highly ‘skilled’ transit rider and yet when I travel I sometimes get nervous about using a new transit service. The simpler the better. I don’t think many are willing to pay $2 to go less than a mile. The CABS system (which is very reliable and busy) is a great example of how this could work.

bucki12

lattethunder said:
    It’s a downtown circulator, not a short north circulator.

They are playing off of linking part of the SN to downtown and the BD/GV. Personally, I hope it gets more of the SN than just south of Buttles after the meetings, There are a lot of people who come to the SN planning on spending money. It would be nice to snare them and draw them downtown.

lattethunder
    Participant

InnerCore said:
    No that is exactly what we need more of. The cirulator part comes from the fact that it constantly “circulates” not runs in a circle. If you are a tourist or you live in the suburbs and you come downtown you don’t want to take the time to figure out which bus to get on. You simply want to walk out of Pint House and hop on the next big transportation vehicle that doesn’t look like the rest of the buses knowing that because you’re on the east side of the street it’s going to go north up toward Brother Drakes. And when you get done at Brother Drakes you simply walk to the west side of the street and repeat the process.

Just to be clear, my argument it not that it should run in a circle (I very clearly said I’d like a square). My argument is that High st isn’t A) a poorly served area and B) a destination downtown. Remember, this isn’t serving the SN, it’s actually downtown, and there’s not much going on most of the day on High inbetween the convention center and chipotle. The pint house and brothers drake are irrelevant; the circulator is not proposed to go there.

I moved from DC to Miami and both have a bus circulator system that primarily serve one major street. It’s what makes them accessible to tourist and people who don’t commonly use public transit.

It would be a complete tangent, but I would argue that this circulator will not magically serve the interests of many out of town tourists because they’d have to actually get to the circulator first, which is pretty much impossible from the airport on our transit system. We basically force tourists to rent cars, and i’m not sure a heavily subsidized downtown circulator is the first step to fixing that problem.

There are different types of rail. You wouldn’t use a street car line for regional transportation.

…what? Are you saying by rail you meant a street car the first time? If thats the case I agree with you, I thought you meant light/heavy rail.

You don’t miss a majority of the people because the people who live east or west of High st. can use these things called feet and walk to high st. Again if demand for people living more than a 5 min walk away from High st. got high enough then you could add another line running up another a street. But 3rd street is a very short walk away.

IT’s not just the people you miss, it’s the things. The actual activity. When’s the last time you walked up and down high street from buttles to sycamore? Especially at noon on a weekend. Where would you even go on high st? What’s the benefit of high st downtown (again, not the SN)?

As for people walking to the stations… yes of course they would. And yes, people on 3rd could walk to high. But what about those on grant? Take a look on the map, the route is skewed very far to the west (which a fair amount of commments mentioned in todays public meeting).

geoyui
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    I just pulled up a map of the DC circulators and they definately don’t only go down one street. The street grid in DC is… interesting, to put it lightly, but it appears to be 5 systems that serve different areas, although it would appear to be possible to ride all 5 circulators to get across the city.

DC’s circulators primarily serve the same streets on the route in both directions. That was my thinking when you said a route that serves 1 street both ways does not make a circulator.

But Denver’s FreeMall is a good example. It’s done well and a second circulator is proposed that will reach other areas of downtown.

lattethunder
    Participant

geoyui said:
    DC’s circulators primarily serve the same streets on the route in both directions. That was my thinking when you said a route that serves 1 street both ways does not make a circulator.

But Denver’s FreeMall is a good example. It’s done well and a second circulator is proposed that will reach other areas of downtown.

I took innercore to mean that he wanted a circulator that went down high street, turned around in a parking lot, and went back down high street without involving other roads. That is not a circulator, it’s a shuttle.

geoyui
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    It would be a complete tangent, but I would argue that this circulator will not magically serve the interests of many out of town tourists because they’d have to actually get to the circulator first, which is pretty much impossible from the airport on our transit system. We basically force tourists to rent cars, and i’m not sure a heavily subsidized downtown circulator is the first step to fixing that problem.

I agree that having some form of transit more reliable than a lengthy bus route, taxi and/or rental cars is needed from the airport, but solving that problem is not a goal or primary concern for Columbus’ circulator.

InnerCore
    Participant

lattethunder said:

The circulator in DC isn’t used to get accross the city, it would be harder than simply getting on a regular bus. It’s used mainly to go between major attractions. So for example take the Georgetown Dupont Circle line.

You can’t get to Georgetown by metro. So the line connects Georgetown with the two most popular metro stops nearby, Dupont Circle to the east and Rosslyn to the west. It runs in basically a straight line. The only time it deveiates is during a stretch on M street that is one way.

So for example let’s say you are using the metro red line. You ride it down to Dupont Circle and then you simply hop on the blue line Georgetown – Dupont bus circulator and take you over to Georgetown for all the shopping and dinning on M street. Once you’re done all you have to do is hop back on the same line and you know its going right back to where it came from down primarily the exact same streets.

The next line is the yellow Georgetown Union station line. Again it runs primarily in a straight line to connect two major points, Georgetown and Union station. They are essentially work exactly what what the metro lines but because Georgetown originally fought the metro they don’t have a line that goes there so now they need the circulator.

But you notice they don’t have one system that goes from Georgetown over to Rossly, then over to Dupont cirle, then over to Union station. Because at that point it would be a bus system. Circulator are meant to take people from point A to point B and circulate.

Her is the circulator in Miami:

Again it primarily runs north and south along the same street. It joggs over to reach Mary Brickell Village because that is the main attraction for downtown. This would almost be a spitting image of running up and down High st. but jogging over to the AD and then back to to High st.

InnerCore
    Participant

lattethunder said:
    I took innercore to mean that he wanted a circulator that went down high street, turned around in a parking lot, and went back down high street without involving other roads. That is not a circulator, it’s a shuttle.

Yes, that’s exactly what it should do and exactly what circulators in other cities do.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lattethunder said:

On a recent trip to DC, we avoided their circulator bus. Too hard to figure out. Subway + Walking was much simpler.

Anyway, I don’t think a circulator has to run in a circle to be a circulator.

Graybeak
    Participant

Walker said:

Anyway, I don’t think a circulator has to run in a circle to be a circulator.

If it went in a rectangle, would it be a rectanglator?
    I guess a triangle would be a triangulator.
    :)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 403 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION