Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Viewing 13 posts - 391 through 403 (of 403 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

Yeah, I’m not going to hop in a car with a dumb mustache on the front. I like CBUS to get me into the Short North from German Village – no parking issues. It’s also great from downtown back close to home, especially if I want to stop at Pistacia Vera.

If I’m in a hurry, Car2Go works great – if it’s raining hard – Uber.

rus
    rus
    Participant

walker,<br>
    i’m surprised you’re even replying to what was just barely-veiled advertising.

The advertising, not RMM’s comment, to be clear.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

walker,
    i’m surprised you’re even replying to what was just barely-veiled advertising.

Which is why I didn’t respond to the coupon code part… and just to the assertion that people are choosing Lyft over COTA. I don’t think that’s an accurate statement, regardless of who made it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Which is why I didn’t respond to the coupon code part… and just to the assertion that people are choosing Lyft over COTA. I don’t think that’s an accurate statement, regardless of who made it.

It’s at least possible; private transportation ( personal car / uber / lyft / car2go / taxi ) is a heck of a time saver over COTA. In the specific example of the CBUS circulator such a time savings may not be as dramatic, but does seem possible for COTA as a whole.

I’ve no stats in front of me saying such a thing is happening, though. Just seems possible.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walker Evans wrote:</div>

It’s at least possible; private transportation ( personal car / uber / lyft / car2go / taxi ) is a heck of a time saver over COTA. In the specific example of the CBUS circulator such a time savings may not be as dramatic, but does seem possible for COTA as a whole.

I’ve no stats in front of me saying such a thing is happening, though. Just seems possible.

I see it as a much more symbiotic relationship between the modes rather than one or a few winning out. Personally I weigh my options based on money, time spent, day/time of day, and weather conditions.

I have found myself using Uber when going to special events (especially with guests/friends) as its generally very congested in the downtown area on the weekend when most events take place so buses are slow and often late and there is a fixed time I need to make it to something like a concert. Uber is cheap and quick for short trips and can handle a load of people.

On a normal day I will take the bus to work, meetings ect. Its generally timely and reliable outside of special event congestion downtown. I also make an effort to take the bus when traveling across town because it gets cheaper the farther you travel and I use the time to catch up on my TV shows. Car2Go is saved for when I’m in a hurry and when its cold/rainy ect or if my destination is far from a bus line. If its 15 minutes or less by foot and good weather I will walk.

Each mode has its time and place IMO with no one option winning out for most cheap or convenient in every situation. I’m sure most don’t put as much thought into it, but I love the amount of options that we now have present.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

I agree.

I think the statement was made purely as a way of squeezing advertising onto a messageboard.

Keep it classy, lyfters.

News
    Participant

COTA Renews Free Fares for CBUS Until April 2016
    April 22, 2015 10:44 am – Walker Evans

The Central Ohio Transit Authority Board of Directors approved a resolution this morning that would extend free fares for the Downtown CBUS Circulator route through the end of April 2016. The free fare system was scheduled to expire on May 3rd if the transit authority was unable to secure additional private funding for the popular Downtown route.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-renews-free-fares-for-cbus-until-april-2016

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I’m still curious as to what COTA did with their big $2.2 million surplus the state refunded them earlier in the year. Were there restrictions on how the funds must be spent or could they have been applied toward the CBUS?

From another post on the COTA thread (https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/cota-updates-in-2015)

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2015/03/02/rare-winter-thrill-bus-air-brakes-freeze.html

COTA’s check from the Ohio Department of Taxation is probably bigger than those the rest of us will receive this year.

The department realized in December that a calculation error on sales-tax collections from car sales had shorted COTA by $2.2 million. The error dates from 2002.

COTA apparently wasn’t receiving sales-tax revenue on cars sold in the small slivers of some adjacent counties that are part of its taxing district, said Jeff Vosler, COTA’s interim chief financial officer.

The state cut COTA its check in January.

CMH2579
    Participant

COTA’s 2015 operating budget is $115.7 million and capital budget is $58.9 million. I’m not sure I would describe it as “big”, I assume it just working capital now.

Mike88
    Participant

COTA Renews Free Fares for CBUS Until April 2016<br>
    April 22, 2015 10:44 am – Walker Evans

Fantastic News! This bus remaining free is a key to growing peoples acceptance and use or transit in our city.

I hope they are willing/able to sell ad space on the inside of the busses. I’m still shocked there aren’t any running a long the top above the seats

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

COTA’s 2015 operating budget is $115.7 million and capital budget is $58.9 million. I’m not sure I would describe it as “big”, I assume it just working capital now.

Yeah, not huge dollars in the grand scheme but the amount they’re needing to fund the CBUS is even less. Instead of threatening to discontinue it because they don’t have corporate or non-COTA monies to fund it why not just apply some of this unexpected windfall?

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

Just noticed this weekend that the Cbus now has a list of sponsors on the side (including Nationwide, Huntington, etc). Any info on whether this means it will continue past next April as a free service?

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I would expect the recent plummeting of fuel prices to give COTA enough of a surplus to fund CBUS over the next year, at least. However, if the city affirms the positive return on value of the service, then there should be a dedicated stream of funding to cover it.

Viewing 13 posts - 391 through 403 (of 403 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: