Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 403 total)
  • Author

Ben
    Participant

I thought that fares cover only something like 25% of COTA’s operational cost [citation needed]. Finding a way to subsidize the entire cost and make COTA entirely free would be greatly beneficial because not having to wait for passengers to dig out change or repeatedly swipe their buckid until it works would help to keep schedules on time. The cost of collecting and processing fairs would be eliminated, lowering equipment and employee costs. As another cost-saving technique they could also try not spend millions of dollars on real-time tracking systems that don’t work (one that does work would be great though).

DLDude
    Participant

You know… another thing that might be interesting is to use this as a baseline for a street car. If they’re getting only 27 riders per hour on a free bus that essentially does the same thing, is it worth it to spend millions on a trolly that would probably do even less if it costs money?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

…that would probably do even less…

What are you basing that assumption on?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

27 riders per hour, that seems so low – is that 27 riders per hour per individual Cbus? I don’t know exactly how many are circulating the route at any given time but there are at least 3.

DLDude
    Participant

The assumption that fewer people would ride public transport that costs money than would if it were free. If the Cbus gets 27 riders per hour for free, why would a paid (Probbaly $1 or more) trolly get more or the same riders?

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Price goes up, demand goes down.

Or is public transport a Giffen good?

heresthecasey
    Participant

27 riders per hour, that seems so low – is that 27 riders per hour per individual Cbus? I don’t know exactly how many are circulating the route at any given time but there are at least 3.

The people/hour stats COTA’s citing are all per vehicle.

In June, a Dispatch article stated more directly, “CEO Curtis Stitt said the agency was hoping to attract 10 to 15 passengers an hour on each of the five buses that circulate along the route. Through its first three weeks, the Cbus has had an average of 17.3 trips an hour, he said. During Memorial Day weekend, the lowest level was nearly 23 trips an hour.”

So, 27 riders/vehicle/hour is indeed nice continued growth for CBUS ridership versus from when it launched.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Price goes up, demand goes down.

Or is public transport a Giffen good?

Not a giffen good, but it’s also not a basic consumer product/widget.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

CBUS is on your side!

Well, Nationwide did just change their logo (back to the N and Eagle) –might be a perfect promotion opportunity…

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I ride it because it’s easy to pop on and off whenever you want without any hassle. I wouldn’t ride it if I had to take my wallet out every time and deal with the driver, or try to remember to bring exact fare.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I ride it because it’s easy to pop on and off whenever you want without any hassle. I wouldn’t ride it if I had to take my wallet out every time and deal with the driver, or try to remember to bring exact fare.

+1
    At times this summer during events I’ve waited with dozens of people along the route for up to a half hour while a steady stream of pay-to-play buses going the exact same direction passed by, no takers but no one had any problem waiting for the free bus.

Vladimirvp87
    Participant

I’m a LYFT driver. I see more people turing to ride-sharing apps away from public transportation. I don’t blame them. Lyft driver shows up within a few minutes. You can see where the driver is on the map while you are waiting on the ride. You also get awesome service (complementary drinks and a snack – depends on driver). Give it a shot. User this promo code: VLADIMIR161 to get 4 free rides up to $25.

drew
    Participant

I feel as though the circulator is one of the truly positive things our perpetually underachieving public transportation group has done. It’s the biggest, easiest win for tourism we have – I’ve seen this up close and personally – and it’s great (and only going to get more popular) for use by locals as well.

I have to think there’s some way that our exceptionally highly taxed city can keep a few buses running – it’s gotta be cheaper than the subsidizing that’d be necessary to keep larger and more comprehensive public transportation solutions (that a city of our size should have but doesn’t) running.

The circulator transforms the way visitors experience the city. That’s gotta be worth something, no?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’m a LYFT driver. I see more people turing to ride-sharing apps away from public transportation. I don’t blame them.

Are people really making a mode-shift from COTA to Lyft? My assumption has always been that they’re switching from taxis to Lyft?

The circulator serves a very limited area and provides quick trips across shorter distances. It’s a mode-shift option away from long walks or short drives. I’ve taken the circulator a lot between Downtown and the Short North, but I’ve never contemplated calling for Lyft or Uber for that short of a drive. I’d either walk it, bike it or car2go it instead.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

walker,
    i’m surprised you’re even replying to what was just barely-veiled advertising.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 403 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION