Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 403 total)
  • Author
    derm
    derm
    Participant

Don’t be surprised if the schedule gets a little mixed up on a busy weekend. The Arts fest Saturday/Clippers game/Commons concert/Park St Fest/Gallery Hop played havoc with the buses. We waited 30 minutes once and saw two buses back to back twice. They were full every ride.

ntn
    ntn
    Participant

I hope they add one more bus for PRIDE and Comfest. I can see these filling up pretty quickly.

Fixed.

They have one extra CBUS

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Don’t be surprised if the schedule gets a little mixed up on a busy weekend. The Arts fest Saturday/Clippers game/Commons concert/Park St Fest/Gallery Hop played havoc with the buses. We waited 30 minutes once and saw two buses back to back twice. They were full every ride.

Hopefully you asked for a refund. ;)

heresthecasey
    Participant

Last Friday I was in the SN and noticed at least twice that regular full-length COTA buses were going by signed to the CBUS route. So it seems like they are at least willing/able to add extra capacity, even it it isn’t in the specially-marked smaller vehicles.

Ben
    Participant

Hopefully you asked for a refund. ;)

I get that there are more important things in the world to complain about than the reliability of free services, but can they expect to gain long-term ridership if someones first time using it is a hassle? How many peoples’ first experience with the circulator will be at these busy events? Lots, I’d imagine.

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

I think you and I have a different definition of “hassle”. Having to wait an extra ten minutes for a free bus because the ones running are full isn’t a hassle for me. If they’re putting regular sized buses on the route to help with capacity issues and the buses are well marked as running the Cbus route, still not a hassle.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I get that there are more important things in the world to complain about than the reliability of free services, but can they expect to gain long-term ridership if someones first time using it is a hassle? How many peoples’ first experience with the circulator will be at these busy events? Lots, I’d imagine.

True, though the opposite would be that someone steps foot on an empty bus hassle-free and goes on to tell everyone that no one uses CBUS and that the public shouldn’t be subsidizing a system that no one rides.

derm
    derm
    Participant

It was not a hassle. The night was pleasant for waiting and we were not in a hurry. A good portion of the delay was the High St construction that took out the bus lane near Broad. They had to merge into full bore traffic in front of the statehouse and nobody was letting the buses in. On the way back from German Village we filled up with concert goers from the Commons who were all fairly lubed up and singing and shouting OH! It was a pretty fun trip actually.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

COTA’s CBUS service exceeding expectations but still needing sponsors
    Evan Weese
    Columbus Business First

CBUS is rolling along midway through an eight-month pilot.

The Central Ohio Transit Authority’s free downtown circulator has exceeded expectations, officials say, but to remain free of charge the service likely will need corporate sponsors.

Since CBUS launched in May, it has provided about 27 rides per hour, said spokeswoman Lisa Knapp, above the agency’s initial estimates of 15 per hour when a 50 cent fare was expected. By comparison, COTA aims for 19 rides per hour system-wide.

Through August, 189,000 trips were made on CBUS.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2014/09/10/cota-s-cbus-service-exceeding-expectations-but.html

Chrysee
    Chrysee
    Participant

I love the CBUS! :( I hope there’s a way to keep it operational and free (I’d happily pay for it somehow, but what I really like about it is the convenience of hopping on and off wherever and never having to get anything out of my purse). Who wouldn’t want to slap a Nationwide or Wexner sticker on the side of it? Didn’t the CoGo bikes recently get some ad branding on them?

Analogue Kid
    Participant

CBUS is on your side!

substance
    Participant

It would be great if all the busses were free or for minimal monthly cost say $25. I think ridership would increase greatly

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It would be great if all the busses were free or for minimal monthly cost say $25. I think ridership would increase greatly

Sounds great, but how do you offset the costs of operation? There would either need to be a regional tax (COTA services multiple municipalities outside of Columbus / Franklin County, so it can’t just be a tax burden for either of those areas exclusively) or there would need to be major support from the private sector to the tune of tens of millions of dollars per year.

DLDude
    Participant

If they are expecting 19 rides per hour.. at $0.50… their fare is definitely not covering their cost

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If they are expecting 19 rides per hour.. at $0.50… their fare is definitely not covering their cost

No, fares do not cover costs, nor should they be expected to cover costs entirely. There are taxes and subsidies and other sources of funding in place, just as there are for roads and airports and trains and sidewalks and other modes of transportation.

I’m just stating that if fares were to be eliminated system-wide, then an alternative funding mechanism would need to be found to offset the amount that fares do bring in.

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 403 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION