Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 403 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

billbix said:
    The reason free is important is that carrying cash and change isn’t too common these days even if the fare is a nominal amount.

Boston converted a paid route to a free route from the airport because travellers were either unaware of the fare and/or were fumbling with getting exact change (while dragging their luggage around), which ultimately delayed the bus schedule.

derm
    derm
    Participant

geoyui said:
    The key to this circulator IMO is that it be FREE and that there is a high frequency of buses. That way it caters to both the locals and visitors/tourists. In Denver, the MallRide was the easiest way to get up and down the main shopping/eating corridor in downtown Denver for convention goers and business people going for lunch.

If it is free and you can stay more than one rotation, it will displace the lobby of Columbus Metro as the number one homeless hangout.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derm said:
    Need to get to lower Clintonville to be more useful.

Downtown to Clintonville is a long-ass bus ride. That’s way outside of the realm of what a “circulator” is supposed to do.

derm
    derm
    Participant

Walker said:
    Downtown to Clintonville is a long-ass bus ride. That’s way outside of the realm of what a “circulator” is supposed to do.

I agree, but I do think it should go a little higher than Buttles.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

derm said:

Bear in mind, the CABS service picks up at 5th.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

derm said:

I think that the point of a circulator is to get people around within a specific contained area, like a Downtown. This service should be extremely frequent and give people the option of hopping on/off the bus for just a few blocks at a time.

Once you start moving people longer distances from point A to point B, then you’re just talking about regular bus service. Should someone be able to ride the circulator 20 minutes from German Village to OSU? Or should they be riding a regular bus?

buckette13

I think they would be crazy not to include the SN up to Fifth Ave. The SN would be the highlight of a visit and this would be great for those businesses.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    I think they would be crazy not to include the SN up to Fifth Ave. The SN would be the highlight of a visit and this would be great for those businesses.

Meh, its 7/10 of a mile between Buttles and Fifth…and I’d actually like to see people walk it.

geoyui
    Participant

Walker said:
    Once you start moving people longer distances from point A to point B, then you’re just talking about regular bus service.

And a more expensive route as you’d have to provide more buses to maintain the high frequency stops.

buckette13

Coremodels said:
    Meh, its 7/10 of a mile between Buttles and Fifth…and I’d actually like to see people walk it.

Saying it and expecting out of town people to just do it are different things. My feeling is people will just stay planted near where they are dropped off and feel comfortable about getting back on the loop.

The other advantage is that this will help the parking issues in the SN and get people ‘circulating’ ;) instead of hanging out near where they parked their car.

geoyui
    Participant

Coremodels said:

Agree, people would still have to walk to CMA, COSI, Scioto Mile, etc. from the suggested route. You can’t hit every attraction with the circulator.

This will be great for festival season.

columbusmike
    Participant

Maybe the Zoo can step up and sponsor the route with a bus like this:

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Could be much worse…

geoyui
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Could be much worse…

much, much worse …

leftovers

Personally, I could see it starting in the SN and then branching out into other areas. That would get people used to riding it and get a lot of attention and use. This will be great for businesses along the route imho. Inevitably everyone who has come to visit me has asked to check out the SN and this will make it much easier to get around.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 403 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION