Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion CBUS Circulator — Free Downtown COTA Bus Route

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 403 total)
  • Author

geoyui
    Participant

COTA will have 4 meetings where they will seek input on a Downtown Circulator (similar to DC and Denver). I really hope this happens and I think it should be FREE to ride.

Downtown Circulator Public Comment Meetings

Quote:
    Public involvement will provide an opportunity for customers and other stakeholders to offer their views on a proposed circulator and provide suggestions, ideas, etc.

1.COTA is in the planning stages for a downtown circulator service that would operate in the central business district and provide service to destinations including the Short North, Arena District, Greater Columbus Convention Center, German Village and Brewery District.

2.Service could be introduced in May, 2014.

3.The idea behind a proposed circulator is to provide more seamless connectivity among destinations downtown and near-downtown that would appeal to residents in downtown area neighborhoods, visitors to destinations and events, and people who work downtown.

4.Circulator characteristics may include:
    •“Branded” buses that are easily identifiable as circulators;
    •Reduced or free fares;
    •High frequencies (meaning service that runs often enough so users don’t need to rely on schedules);
    •Longer spans of service (early morning and later evening service).

5.A proposed bus circulator could operate northbound on Front Street and southbound on High Street between Buttles Avenue and Sycamore Street.

cadillackid
    Participant

I really think this could be the solution to those that cry about parking issues in the short north… so often at night there are downtown lots and garages that sit empty while endless lines of cars parade high street looking for places to park… so simple it would be to be able to park downtown in a garage, for perhaps a reduced rate.. helping those garages sell space during usually slow-times.. then perhaps with a current garage ticket you would get a free ride on the circulator that could take you to the short north , german village, etc…

seems tp me it would be a win-win situation.. it would also get COTA’s name out there. and get people more used ot riding public transit.. if people ride even a circulator and have a good experience, it might make them take riding the bus in a different light if they wish to use regular routed service at some point…

-Christopher

Pablo
    Participant

I used to ride the COTA Link frequently in the ’90s – it cost a quarter. It only ran on High St. but was a very convenient way to get around. I’m all for reviving a similar service.

Cbusflyer

Sounds awesome to me. +1 for parking downtown and taking it around town to S.N. and G.V.

bjones7
    Participant

I’m confused. Why not just create a COTA Link route downtown? Why do they need special branding?

geoyui
    Participant

bjones7 said:
    I’m confused. Why not just create a COTA Link route downtown? Why do they need special branding?

For visitors. Denver’s circulator is lime green. Easy to spot and it keeps visitors from hopping on the wrong bus.

News
    Participant

COTA Considers Adding a Downtown Circulator Loop
    Published on August 24, 2013 9:55 am
    By: Walker

The Central Ohio Transit Authority (COTA) is currently studying the feasibility of a new Downtown circulator route that would better connect The Short North, Arena District, Convention Center, Gay Street, Columbus Commons, German Village and Brewery District areas. The buses on the circulator route would be specially branded, run in high frequencies and offer reduced fare rates — or potentially be free to riders — to encourage short travel distances.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cota-considers-adding-a-downtown-circulator-loop

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

COTA planning downtown-only circulator route
    Aug 26, 2013, 2:14pm EDT
    Evan Weese
    Columbus Business First

Getting around downtown and surrounding neighborhoods could become easier with a new bus option slated to start next spring.

Under a proposal from the Central Ohio Transit Authority, a quick-service route would shuttle buses between high-traffic areas along Front and High streets beginning next May. The circulator route could have as many as 20 stops, from as far north as Goodale Park stretching to German Village.

With denser downtown traffic and more people calling for more convenient transit, COTA could revive what it’s tried and discontinued in the past, said spokesman Marty Stutz.

READ MORE HERE.

mrpoppinzs

Those buses ran only during the lunch hour, while the new downtown circulator would run from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week, he said.
    It has potential to be COTA’s only free service, should a public-private partnership arise, Stutz said.

My thoughts

1) It should run to 5th Ave to encompass the SN. That is what most visitors want to see and it will help to alleviate parking issues.

2) It doesn’t need to run all day or even everyday.

3) It should be free to riders (small change is a hassle, needs to be simple) and they should start building those private-public partnerships ASAP. Everyone will benefit.

This could be very good if implemented well.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

mrpoppinzs said:
    Those buses ran only during the lunch hour, while the new downtown circulator would run from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., seven days a week, he said.
    It has potential to be COTA’s only free service, should a public-private partnership arise, Stutz said.

My thoughts

1) It should run to 5th Ave to encompass the SN. That is what most visitors want to see and it will help to alleviate parking issues.

2) It doesn’t need to run all day or even everyday.

3) It should be free to riders (small change is a hassle, needs to be simple) and they should start building those private-public partnerships ASAP. Everyone will benefit.

This could be very good if implemented well.

I think the better option would be to have tight routes, keep head ways reasonable. If this works well as the route sketched above there’s no reason you couldn’t have neighborhood specific circulators. Use color branding or other means to clearly identify routes. Ride the downtown line to buttles/high; explore and them hop the SN further up.

I do hope they keep this running late Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I love this idea. I talk to a lot of young people at Ohio State who live on the CABS service, and an offer like this would definitely get me back on a bus. I’d pay for a pass if the hours were better.

billbix

I think it has a lot of potential. Imho, it needs to concentrate on Columbus’ needs and strengths first and then branch out. The highlight of the circulator should be the SN as that is a regional draw. It should run the length of the Art’s District to 5th Ave. Doing so will get people and money moving around. The advantages for tourists is obvious but it will also help alleviate the parking crunch by letting people use the many empty evening lots and garages downtown to park in. No need to worry about building redundant parking that only gets used part of the day.

If they have to split the SN into its own circulator leg to speed frequency up then this should be done first. The key is having a well thought out and truly useful system from the get go. Ending at Buttles seems very limiting to tourists and those looking for evening entertainment.

I would rather they concentrate on having later evening hours Thursday, Friday, Saturday then have the wide open schedule mentioned. A targeted schedule would maximize resources.

derm
    derm
    Participant

This is a great idea. Similar usage to the trolleys in San Antonio and the F line muni bus in San Francisco. Make it a different color and make it dirt cheap with a 2 hour transfer. I agree on the further north route. Need to get to lower Clintonville to be more useful.

geoyui
    Participant

The key to this circulator IMO is that it be FREE and that there is a high frequency of buses. That way it caters to both the locals and visitors/tourists. In Denver, the MallRide was the easiest way to get up and down the main shopping/eating corridor in downtown Denver for convention goers and business people going for lunch.

billbix

Free and inclusive of the entire Short North seems to be the sentiment on the front page article:

COTA Considers Adding a Downtown Circulator Loop

It looks like there is already some thoughts on a private-public partnership. I think the issue is about making it as convenient and hassleless for riders as possible. The reason ‘free’ is important is that carrying cash and change isn’t too common these days even if the fare is a nominal amount.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 403 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE