Our City Online

Messageboard - Civic Meetings

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown Business Plan Update - 2/3 10am

Home Forums Events Civic Meetings Downtown Business Plan Update – 2/3 10am

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

gk

Mike Brown wrote >>
    Csite – Thank you for citing the 2002 plan, sometimes folks forget that we used it as a road map for today’s successes. I hope you would agree that we did a public plan, we used it, and today we can show off the results to leverage more action.
    It was Mayor Coleman who changed several streets back to 2-way downtown (Gay, Front, Civic, as well as a part of Town, with Rich coming soon). We did it specifically to prove it could better support living, retail and restaurant business. Mayor Coleman is more than happy to fight traffic engineers when we have streets that can be returned to a more neighborly status, but that doesn’t mean it will work for every street.
    I don’t understand how you can state that “a crucial component of the transportation aspect being omitted” in a forum that hasn’t occurred yet. The first public meeting is 2/16 at 6:00 p.m.
    The way we connect people/districts is certainly going to be one of the 7 or 8 central themes discussed (parks, transit, density, retail, 70/71 are some others). We need strong urban voices to advocate for better street connections, as well as transit locations, rail, bike infrastructure, etc.
    I’m sorry that you feel “anyone” (if we infer that might include the Mayor/City) is ignoring something that we actually started, tested and funded, especially when you’ve not seen MSI’s presentation materials. Looking forward to meeting you in real time on 2/16 and at the meetings that follow.

I applaud the city’s efforts with respect to two-way streets and am glad to hear that 70/71 will be part of the discussion as this single project could have long lasting and devastating consequences for downtown residential developments and surrounding neighborhoods if not done right. Hopefully, we have learned a few lessons from the past with respect to urban freeways.

byJody
    Participant

I’m hoping to attend the upcoming town hall…

The Downtown Strategic Plan will come from a series of three town hall meetings, hosted by the City, CDDC and moderated by MSI Design, beginning February 16 at Columbus State Community College.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

City tallies wins, losses as it readies new Downtown plan
    Thursday, February 4, 2010
    By Robert Vitale
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

There’s less vacant space in Downtown office buildings, but that’s partly because so many have been turned into condominiums.

There are more people living in those condos and apartments than there were a decade ago, but the number of Downtown residents still is less than 20 percent of the total from 1950.

“We’ve come a long way,” Mayor Michael B. Coleman said yesterday in announcing plans to update the city’s revitalization strategy for Downtown. But “we have a long way to go,” he said.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/02/04/copy/downtown_plan.ART_ART_02-04-10_B1_O5GGAJ1.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Columbusite

Mike Brown wrote >>
    Csite – Thank you for citing the 2002 plan, sometimes folks forget that we used it as a road map for today’s successes. I hope you would agree that we did a public plan, we used it, and today we can show off the results to leverage more action.
    It was Mayor Coleman who changed several streets back to 2-way downtown (Gay, Front, Civic, as well as a part of Town, with Rich coming soon). We did it specifically to prove it could better support living, retail and restaurant business. Mayor Coleman is more than happy to fight traffic engineers when we have streets that can be returned to a more neighborly status, but that doesn’t mean it will work for every street.
    I don’t understand how you can state that “a crucial component of the transportation aspect being omitted” in a forum that hasn’t occurred yet. The first public meeting is 2/16 at 6:00 p.m.
    The way we connect people/districts is certainly going to be one of the 7 or 8 central themes discussed (parks, transit, density, retail, 70/71 are some others). We need strong urban voices to advocate for better street connections, as well as transit locations, rail, bike infrastructure, etc.
    I’m sorry that you feel “anyone” (if we infer that might include the Mayor/City) is ignoring something that we actually started, tested and funded, especially when you’ve not seen MSI’s presentation materials. Looking forward to meeting you in real time on 2/16 and at the meetings that follow.

I was talking about the omission from the updates given in the Business First article. The adjective “several” does not apply to the streets, some of which were partially converted, that were and are being converted to two-way. I don’t understand why Rich would be up next, since streets with existing businesses should already two-way like Main and Long, but I’ll hear some sort of rationalization on Tues.

Mez

I agree more transit options into Downtown from the boarder Neighborhoods would help everyone. There have been many times my GF and I wanted to go to dinner or drinks or I wnat ot go down for Lunch, but I have had the WORST Experiences with the attendants at the surface lots along Gay St. and also Front St.

One day went for business lunch, saw an attendant at the Gay St/3rd St. lot, parked went to pay the machine, put a few buck in and then realized this machine did not take change. Only had a $20 in cash left and the attendant said he would tow my car if I did not have a ticket on my window. I could not belive I was told to pay $20 bucks so I could have enough time fro an hour lunch across the street. He just kept pointing at the sign for a number to call. So I call it and I get a Voice Mail System of all things, tried to find the right number to get a live person, no luck. On to the next 10 minutes…I finally told the guy give me his supervisors cell#, which he did because he could see that I was starting to get mad. Finally got ahold of the boss and he siad I would be OK to park there for my lunch. Mind you I got there at 12:25 for a 12:30 lunch and ended up finally getting the meeting after almost 30 minutes. Don’t get me started on the last 2 times on Front St.
    Maybe I should start another thread for Downtown Parking Lot experiences???

Oh well…now I am moving my office to Long and High so I will have free Parking….YEAH!!! See ya all during Happy Hour(s).

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

The forum ‘Civic Meetings’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE