Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #8 - Biking Improvements

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #8 – Biking Improvements

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Develop a Downtown Bike Station

Main CU Feature: 12 Ideas Laid Out for Downtown 2010 Strategic Plan

Numerous bike infrastructure investments are currently planned to take place Downtown. The City is working to implement its Bicentennial Bikeways Plan by installing lane markings on High Street and constructing new bike paths. The Capital Crossroads Special Improvement District recently was awarded federal funding to build end-of-ride facilities such as bike shelters, garage parking and bike lockers. As recommended in the City’s Bicentennial Bike Plan, the next step is a Bike Station that combines storage facilities, lockers and showers for commuters, in addition to bike rentals and repairs. Cities from Chicago to Washington, DC have built these facilities as a way to further encourage and promote cycling as an alternative to automobile transportation for both residents and visitors.

MORE HERE: http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/plan/bike-station

cc

very good news!

Anonymous
    Inactive

As I pointed out on the #4 post (Broad Street road diet idea), I think that bike lanes and paths do less to protect cyclists than many people think, and can actually do them a disservice. However, I’m a big fan of the amenities to attract more cyclists – such as Bike Stations, parking, shelters, lockers, etc. The best way to make cyclists safer is to have more of them around.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This is one idea that I think is going to happen one way or another. Capital Crossroads is already working on these types of bike facilities:

Capital Crossroads Announces New Biking Facilities

colrex7

*thumbs up*

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Love the ideas. I assume they are thinking High/Broad for a centralized commuter station? On the surface it seems great, I just wonder if we would better to work with the downtown gyms to promote what Grant is doing-access to lockers, showers and the walking track for a reduced price.

It would populate downtown with a number of facilities vs. 1, serve a wider constituency rather than just those in the immediate area of Broad and High and probably be done at less cost since it would be largely privatized. You could install outdoor bike lockers at select locations (like proposed transit hubs) and utilize storefronts at select locations for self-serve, indoor secured parking.

I would also like to see them work with Everyone Bikes for the rentals. No need to reinvent the wheel when we have local program.

Columbusite

Sounds good to me.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I assume they are thinking High/Broad for a centralized commuter station?

I don’t think a location was specified. Definitely submit some feedback on this one about multiple stations/locations and where you think they should be. I agree that multiple stations throughout Downtown is key.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

lifeontwowheels wrote >>
    I assume they are thinking High/Broad for a centralized commuter station?

I don’t think a location was specified. Definitely submit some feedback on this one about multiple stations/locations and where you think they should be. I agree that multiple stations throughout Downtown is key.

Done. When I worked at the Statehouse and biked in Lifetime fitness was right across the street from me. I went in and asked if they offered some type of lower cost membership for shower/locker use and was told no. Next closest would have been Grant, since it was on my way in. I don’t think they had their program running at the time, though.

Seems like it would be cheaper for the city to subsidize half-off coupons at downtown gyms for a year or two and get some interest for those companies to eventually offer it.

sarahb
    Participant

this is great news!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

From here: http://www.streetsblog.org/2010/04/19/eyes-on-the-street-bike-share-demo-on-hudson-greenway/

I wouldn’t mind seeing something like this in Columbus.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    From here: http://www.streetsblog.org/2010/04/19/eyes-on-the-street-bike-share-demo-on-hudson-greenway/
    I wouldn’t mind seeing something like this in Columbus.

Why reinvent the wheel?[/url]

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, if EveryoneBike can be expanded in this sort of fashion, I’m all for it.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It sounds like what they have in mind for this is something grander than what Capital Crossroads has in mind.

From Here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/planning-downtown-with-msi-design-part-2

Andrew Overbeck: Their focus sounds like they’re moving towards trying to spread the wealth, and I think that’s a good first step because we need to have a broad infrastructure before we can have a pie-in-the-sky kind of bigger ticket idea. I think what they’re doing fits in perfectly with this. And if you look at the Bicentennial Bikeways plan, it recommends a larger bike station Downtown, so I think this is the next step. We’re trying to make sure that people don’t get too complacent.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE