Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #7 - 3C Station

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #7 – 3C Station

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

3-C Multi Modal Station

Main CU Feature: 12 Ideas Laid Out for Downtown 2010 Strategic Plan

Now is the time to begin planning for a permanent and iconic multi-modal station that takes full advantage of its location in Downtown Columbus and is a hub for not only transportation, but also activity. Located between the Ohio Center and the Greater Columbus Convention Center, the multi-modal station would be a draw for conventioneers from around the state and daily commuter traffic would help to stimulate not only street level activity, but also enliven the existing retail that is part of the Ohio Center. Planned properly, a multi-modal station would provide Columbus with access to not only national and regional rail systems, but it could also act as the hub for commuter rail. This central Downtown location would be highly utilized by commuters, visitors and Downtown residents. Improving local, regional and national connectivity and embracing alternative transportation will be essential to the future success of both Downtown and the region.

MORE HERE: http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/plan/multi-modal-station

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Interesting to see what this could look like on the other side of High Street. I’ve always thought that the west side of High was the optimal spot for it, but according to Keith Myers last night, the curvature of the tracks in that spot pose a lot of challenges for installing a station and platforms.

Otherwise, I imagine this is something that could be done in phases. The 3C is likely to have a simple boarding platform to start with and the bigger station could come later on.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I would like to see them fill that gaping hole in front of the CC. It would be nice as well if they spent a little extra money on something respectable, somewhat “iconic” or aesthetically pleasing. It’s got to have some sort of wow factor to it for appearance sake.

I just hope to God that the vacant land across the street is not filled in with 3 midrise Arena Districtesque buildings. That land is way to valueable and that definately would not be the highest and best use of that sight. More like a mixed use highrise or two. (I do realize this is a generalization and to show land use purposes only. I hope.) There’s not a whole lot of land left around there. It should be developed to its maximum potential. An iconic public art piece at the tip of the NW corner of Nationwide and High would be icing on the cake. Right now it’s a lawn. How boring.

jpizzow wrote >>
    I would like to see them fill that gaping hole in front of the CC. It would be nice as well if they spent a little extra money on something respectable, somewhat “iconic” or aesthetically pleasing. It’s got to have some sort of wow factor to it for appearance sake.
    I just hope to God that the vacant land across the street is not filled in with 3 midrise Arena Districtesque buildings. That land is way to valueable and that definately would not be the highest and best use of that sight. More like a mixed use highrise or two. (I do realize this is a generalization and to show land use purposes only. I hope.) There’s not a whole lot of land left around there. It should be developed to its maximum potential. An iconic public art piece at the tip of the NW corner of Nationwide and High would be icing on the cake. Right now it’s a lawn. How boring.

I’m probably wrong, but I thought the new Hilton was filling that space?

futureman
    Participant

The Hilton is going in above the three brown buildings jpizzow mentioned. It’s also marked as a brown building.

tt342998
    Participant

The CC site seems to be too restrictive for anything other than a 3-C start-up station. A major switching location lies beneath the CC site and any additional train movements would seem to severely restrict freight movements. My guess is that the same is true for the High Street/Nationwide parking lot.

The parking lots to the immediate west of Nationwide Arena seem to have the ability to be expanded for addtional intercity service and/or commuter rail service.

The important thing is to find an expandable station location that can grow as rail services are added. An updated study of the possible sites is a very good idea IMO.

sb72

What about the former pedestrian train stop in Franklinton? I know the building is now in use, but there is still space to build a new building as well as vacant land that could spring up development around COSI. There’s also a large vacant lot south of Vine, west of Neil which is on the 3C route. Within walking distance of this location would be Goodale Park, Huntington Park, The Arena District, and the convention center.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I’ve always been a fan of the idea of a secondary train station in Franklinton, but I don’t know if it makes a lot of sense to be Station #1 up and running in 2011. Would be great for it to serve as a more local commuter rail station IMHO.

surber17
    Participant

I love the idea of a transit “hub” in that location. Also, I would like to see it combine all forms of transit … biking/rail/bus/car/etc.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Some more detail on the location across the street VS the location at the Convention Center:

From Here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/planning-downtown-with-msi-design-part-2

Keith Myers: 20 years ago MORPC had suggested placement for a multimodal station at the site across the street at Nationwide & High where those three proposed brown buildings are in the rendering. We kept looking at that and thinking how it didn’t make sense because the tracks are curving there. We got some transit guys down there one day and we walked up the tracks with them and we said “what about here” under the Convention Center and they thought the tracks there looked great and were perfectly aligned for a station. You know why that is? It because that’s where the train station used to be!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Local projects shut out of federal transportation funding
    THURSDAY, OCTOBER 21, 2010
    BY DOUG CARUSO
    THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

Central Ohio projects have been shut out of a federal grant program that officials say is aimed at innovative transportation ideas.

The department passed over a dozen projects proposed by the Ohio Department of Transportation and local partners, including money for rebuilding I-71 and I-70 Downtown and for a train station in Columbus.

Mayor Michael B. Coleman remains committed to the train station project, which would have included parking for bicycles and cars, said Rick Tilton, a spokesman for the Columbus Public Service Department.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatchpolitics.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2010/10/21/copy/local-projects-shut-out-of-funding.html?adsec=politics&sid=101

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

It still looks like a great spot for a train station to me…

MDWST
    Participant

Kasich’s entire time in office has been a boondoggle.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

URBAN LIVING TOUR 2020

This year’s Urban Living Tour event has been postponed due to COVID-19, but will be returning later this summer!

CLICK HERE to sign up to be notified when tickets go on sale!