Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #6 - Bus Transit Station

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #6 – Bus Transit Station

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Author

johnwirtz
    Participant

The importance of on-street parking
    Blog post by Steve Mouzon on 10 Aug 2011
    Steve Mouzon, New Urban Network

http://newurbannetwork.com/news-opinion/blogs/steve-mouzon/15124/importance-street-parking

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

johnwirtz said:
    The importance of on-street parking
    Blog post by Steve Mouzon on 10 Aug 2011
    Steve Mouzon, New Urban Network

http://newurbannetwork.com/news-opinion/blogs/steve-mouzon/15124/importance-street-parking

Great Article. The final paragraph is the most important:

Retail expert Bob Gibbs says that every on-street parking space in a thriving retail district is worth $250,000 in sales to the nearby merchants on that street. People will walk much further along an interesting Main Street to get from their parking space to the store they’re going to than they will walk from a parking lot. I blogged about Pedestrian Propulsion a couple years ago; that post explains why this is so. Simply put, if you want to kill the businesses along a thriving commercial street, just remove the on-street parking. Works every time.

cbus11

+1 for on street metered parking. I think it is a valid litmus test. Let’s try it. Worst case we are back where we started from. I think the pricing should be based on usage. There are some streets like Main that pay an unfair (and growth) burden.

Pablo
    Participant

scorpcmh said:
    +1 to Keith Myers….exactly on the money. There was still retail on High Street during the early/mid 1980’s, with on site parking, and before the bus lanes took over….

I seem to recall that High St. was rebuilt in the late 1980’s ahead of the opening of City Center Mall. The street was rebuilt with 5 lanes (down from 6) to widen the sidewalks. Here’s a photo from 1970 looking south from Town St. – the Southern Hotel is visible, there’s on-street parking and the buildings on the left is were Columbus Commons is today:

bldng4jstc
    Participant

I am all for on-street parking in High st, but not by simply degrading transit. COTA and parking could relatively easily co-exist downtown with some simple modified routing, another bus stop removal, and some tow-away times in the afternoon. Unfortunately, I got the feeling at the COTA meeting that one lane must provide an uninhibited drive straight through downtown and 3rd/4th are untouchable. No capacity was to be compromised which is why we got the ideas we did.

Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

is it even possible to add on street parking.. High St is 5 lanes while broad is 8… so Broad has room but high doesnt..

johnwirtz
    Participant

CalebR said:
    is it even possible to add on street parking.. High St is 5 lanes while broad is 8… so Broad has room but high doesnt..

High would be one lane in each direction with a center turn lane and on-street parking occupying the curb lanes.

Smifth27
    Participant

A Transit Station would be great for downtown. The construction would be great for jobs, retail and the overall look of downtown. Has there been any information on this project? Downtown retail need parking as well as an environment that is appealing to customers.

News
    Participant

wynnie

jbcmh81
    Participant

wynnie said:
    New article from the Dispatch. Note reader comments.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/10/10/some-see-discrimination-in-cota-downtown-reroute-plan.html

The Dispatch comments, especially those run by Topix, are not really moderated and are populated by many people that don’t actually even live anywhere near Columbus. They are not representative of the population of Columbus and are generally the most foul, disgusting posters I’ve seen on any forum anywhere. If you are looking at them to get opinions on what goes on in this city, you are doing yourself a true disservice.

misskitty
    Participant

COTA officials dumped a proposal this morning to move a main bus line from High Street to Front Street in Downtown Columbus.

More Here…

Viewing 12 posts - 91 through 102 (of 102 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION