Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #6 - Bus Transit Station

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #6 – Bus Transit Station

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #361876

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    I think eventually, someday, as service continues to increase, there will come a time when there is not enough space on High Street to accommodate all the buses. I think that would be the appropriate time to start looking at diversion to other streets or transit centers. Until then, I’d rather spend the money on service expansion.

    #361877
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    Whether or not buses are relocated, I do think something needs to be done about on-street parking if retail development on High Street is something that we want to see happen. I think we’ve gotten to the point where there is not enough space on High Street to accommodate metered parking.

    #361878

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    Walker said:
    Whether or not buses are relocated, I do think something needs to be done about on-street parking if retail development on High Street is something that we want to see happen. I think we’ve gotten to the point where there is not enough space on High Street to accommodate metered parking.

    It seems that everyone has a different goal, or maybe the same goal (revitalize High Street) and different ideas of how to achieve it. For example, I didn’t get the impression from the downtown transit study that on-street parking was a key goal defined by the steering committee. It seemed as if the consultant was charged with finding alternatives to reduce the volume of buses and bus passengers on High Street. That’s what they did.

    #361879
    Caleb
    Caleb
    Participant

    Oh I know the solution!!!!!! ADD A STREET CAR LINE IN! Do a downtown loop and then one that runs on high, one on broad… then take the buses and cut down. it would help but of course this probably is a stupid idea HAHAHAH

    #361880

    bldng4jstc
    Participant

    Walker said:
    … something needs to be done about on-street parking if retail development on High Street is something that we want to see happen.

    I’ve come to the conclusion that if you want High St. retail to resemble the Short North/Gay st. with on-street shopping, then all but 2-3 lines must be moved to a two-way Third St. Obviously we know how commuters will feel about that. If 3rd is untouchable, then better transit with better run/advertised parking is the only option. All this is said if parking is the problem and not the ‘scary’ people waiting on the sidewalks.

    #361881
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    johnwirtz said:
    It seems that everyone has a different goal, or maybe the same goal (revitalize High Street) and different ideas of how to achieve it. For example, I didn’t get the impression from the downtown transit study that on-street parking was a key goal defined by the steering committee. It seemed as if the consultant was charged with finding alternatives to reduce the volume of buses and bus passengers on High Street. That’s what they did.

    Yes, there’s different goals and issues at play here. Some conflict and others compliment each other. I’ve been under the impression that removing buses from High Street was the plan for being able to add on-street parking.

    Idea #6 (Bus Station), meet Idea #5 (High Street Retail): http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/downtown-2010-plan-idea-5-high-street

    #361882

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    bldng4jstc said:
    I’ve come to the conclusion that if you want High St. retail to resemble the Short North/Gay st. with on-street shopping, then all but 2-3 lines must be moved to a two-way Third St. Obviously we know how commuters will feel about that. If 3rd is untouchable, then better transit with better run/advertised parking is the only option. All this is said if parking is the problem and not the ‘scary’ people waiting on the sidewalks.

    I’ve come to the conclusion that downtown needs more people; residents, workers, and visitors.

    #361883
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

    johnwirtz said:
    I’ve come to the conclusion that downtown needs more people; residents, workers, and visitors.

    And retail wouldn’t boost that? ;)

    #361884

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    Walker said:
    And retail wouldn’t boost that? ;)

    It wouldn’t hurt, but I think the retail follows the people much more than the other way around. If you get a critical mass of people living, working, and visiting downtown, retail will take care of itself and we can stop worrying about the supply of on-street parking and ways to spend millions of dollars re-routing buses.

    #361885

    futureman
    Participant

    What other cities have created a transit mall on broad/high like Columbus and what was the effect on neighboring retail? Do they still have them or have they gone to a new solution?

    #361886

    I personally think grand bus stations are a huge waste of money. Anyone ever seen Rosa Parks in Detroit? Absolutely 100% pointless.

    #361887

    ehill27
    Participant

    What are the advantages/what is the intent of having all buses routed to High Street?

    COTA indicates that High St. is where the people work downtown, but that’s not entirely accurate. Certainly, there’s the simplicity of knowing that High Street is where you go to catch a bus downtown, but I think that benefit is a bit overblown as well (people seem to find the bus stops outside of downtown).

    It seems to me that there would be benefit in better serving 3rd & 4th, and possibly Front as well.

    #361888

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    ehill27 said:
    What are the advantages/what is the intent of having all buses routed to High Street?

    COTA indicates that High St. is where the people work downtown, but that’s not entirely accurate. Certainly, there’s the simplicity of knowing that High Street is where you go to catch a bus downtown, but I think that benefit is a bit overblown as well (people seem to find the bus stops outside of downtown).

    It seems to me that there would be benefit in better serving 3rd & 4th, and possibly Front as well.

    Aside from being the employment center as you noted, I think the main advantage is allowing passengers from any route to transfer to any other route (transit people call this a timed transfer or a pulse). I would say this is somewhat important since Columbus doesn’t have a grid system of routes to facilitate transfers outside of downtown, nor does it have many all-day frequent service routes to make waits for transfers much shorter. Of course, most people going downtown are going downtown and not transferring, so I’m not sure how bad it would really be if a few routes were moved. Surely someone would be impacted, but how many?

    #361889

    ehill27
    Participant

    ^ I see, that is certainly beneficial.

    I don’t actually have strong feelings about moving lines from High Street (particularly those that don’t originate on High). I’m also not convinced that doing so actually solves the core issue of retail.

    Having said that, does High Street really need to be the transfer route? Why not 3rd and 4th? In the event that you need to transfer in the opposite direction, we’re only talking about a 60-90 seconds walk between each street. Many express busses actually do travel on 3rd and 4th, and people seem to get by. Of course, this is coming from someone who rarely makes a transfer. However, I do walk 10 minutes from my stop to my destination every day.

    #361890

    johnwirtz
    Participant

    ehill27 said:
    ^ I see, that is certainly beneficial.

    First off, I don’t actually have strong feelings about moving lines from High Street (particularly those that don’t originate on High).

    Neither do I, but I do have strong feelings about unnecessarily increasing COTA’s costs.

    I’m also not convinced that doing so actually solves the core issue of retail.

    Agree.

    Having said that, does High Street really need to be the transfer route? Why not 3rd and 4th?

    The only real reason I see is that 3rd and 4th are farther from the majority of the jobs than High St is. That said, maybe in the long run the jobs would follow the transit and new downtown offices would be created?

    In the event that you need to transfer in the opposite direction, we’re only talking about a 60-90 seconds walk between each street. Many express busses actually do travel on 3rd and 4th, and people seem to get by. Of course, this is coming from someone who rarely makes a transfer. However, I do walk 10 minutes from my stop to my destination every day.

    I’m also not that concerned about an extra block or two walk for some people. I’m more concerned about the financial cost of the diversions to COTA (if any) and the ability to make the timed transfers work for customers if the buses aren’t in the same location.

    Regardless, I started a draft of a post last night for XingColumbus to explain some potential compromises that would allow on-street parking on High Street without major impacts to customers or spending shitloads of money. I have some ideas, but I need to collect a bunch of data first.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 102 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: