Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #5 - High Street

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development Downtown 2010 Plan Idea #5 – High Street

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Restore High Street as Downtown’s Commercial Corridor

Main CU Feature: 12 Ideas Laid Out for Downtown 2010 Strategic Plan

High Street has always been a primary commercial corridor of Downtown Columbus, and the City as a whole. High Street is the hub of government, commercial and entertainment activity. It is the common thread that links the Convention Center, the Arena District, the State House, office towers, numerous theaters and the Franklin County Government Complex together. Despite these attributes, however, High Street fails to feel vibrant through the entire length of Downtown because of several stretches of under-utilized properties, vacant lots and buildings, and surface parking lots.

The concept for restoring High Street as Downtown’s commercial corridor builds on the Mayor’s Mile On High Incentives by proposing an improved corridor that offers on-street parking and a revitalized streetscape, while still accommodating transit and traffic demands. These changes will allow ground floor retail storefronts to be more successful, attract infill development and bring more people to High Street.

MORE HERE: http://www.downtowncolumbus.com/plan/high-street

columbusmike
    Participant

I like it. Just need to find a way to connect High Street with a new “Boardwalk District” along the river!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yeah, this idea was fairly simple, and could be done in a way that would not only cost a whole lot of money up front, but would also put in place a revenue generator via new parking meters. Essentially, the layout of the Short North could be extended all the way down High Street through Downtown.

BRING IT.

gk

I think the best and fastest way to restore High Street as downtown’s commercial corridor is to make it a pedestrian mall like 16th Street in Denver, with one lane in each direction for buses only (or streetcars). 16th Street was in the same sad state as High Street is today before turning it into a pedestrian mall, and is now thriving with businesses and people, including tourists.

futureman
    Participant

I highly doubt High St would ever be made into a pedestrian mall. It’s simply too important of a road for Columbus.

Wow, didn’t even realize they didn’t allow on street parking. Defiantly need to have that and some meter rates that make sense!

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

futureman wrote >>
    Wow, didn’t even realize they didn’t allow on street parking.

Really? You’ve never driven on High Street Downtown? ;)

Walker wrote >>

futureman wrote >>

I am confused; am I missing something? I use to park on High Street all the time in front of Char Bar where the new hotel is going across from the convention center.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Yes, there are meters north of Nationwide Blvd.

There’s no on-street parking on High Street between Nationwide Blvd and Fulton, which makes up about 90% of High Street Downtown. Those curb lanes also operate as bus-only lanes during peak hours.

futureman
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

futureman wrote >>

Honestly I never visit downtown during the day, pretty much only in the evening and never had to look for a parking spot on high st. Those times I did park downtown were around the convention center so I just assumed parking extended further south.

Walker wrote >>
    Yes, there are meters north of Nationwide Blvd.
    There’s no on-street parking on High Street between Nationwide Blvd and Fulton, which makes up about 90% of High Street Downtown. Those curb lanes also operate as bus-only lanes during peak hours.

okay, didn’t know that. I guess when you only operate in a certain area it becomes a narrow view.

Columbusite

Hoping to see those meters spring up this year. There are numerous blocks on High, both N and S, with vacant retail spots. The block just north of Gay would see quite a change: I’m thinking similar to what we’ve seen in the Garden building between 4th and 5th which is seeing yet another new business come in.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

While the trend toward suburbia I think was probably the driving force in the exodus of retail Downtown in the eighties, the “transit mall” that we have is something I’ve never really given a lot of thought to, but is an interesting concept:

From here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/planning-downtown-with-msi-design-part-2

Keith Myers: In 1978 there was retail in Downtown Columbus. I don’t recall the exact date that our “transit mall” was built on High Street, but our retail died pretty much right after that. In the late seventies and earlier eighties there weren’t anymore people living Downtown than there are now. There were 100,000 people working down there and they’re still there. So something changed and these transit malls have proven to be unsuccessful around the country. We still have ours.

More on Transit Malls: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_mall

terellg

I REALLY THINK THEY SHOULD REALLY DO THIS WORDERFUL IDEA I MOVED TO 2 DIFFRENT STATES BEFORE RETURNING BACK HOME TO COLUMBUS 2MONTHS AGO AND NOW I SEE WHAT THIS PLACE NEEDS TO BECOME… ARIZONA AND TEXAS THEY BOTH HAVE THOSE STREETCARS. COLUMBUS NEEDS TO BE A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE TOO SO MY OPINION IS YES IT WILL BENIFIT US IN THE FUTURE

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE