Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

This topic contains 294 replies, has 88 voices, and was last updated by MichaelC MichaelC 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 295 total)
  • Author

Talcott

gk wrote >>
    The Santa Maria should be relocated to the opposite side of the river by COSI which would give visitors a reason to go outside and be educational at the same time. Given its prominent location downtown, COSI needs to utilize its outside space and the river much more than it currently does with additional educational exhibits, at least during the summer months.

I wonder how seaworthy [riverworthy?] the Santa Maria is. Would there be any possibility of offering short trips along the downtown riverfront? I imagine that this was discussed and/or dismissed when it was installed, but I haven’t paid much attention to it since it was installed (also, I just realized that was almost 20 years ago. Wow.)

Talcott

gk wrote >>
    The Santa Maria should be relocated to the opposite side of the river by COSI which would give visitors a reason to go outside and be educational at the same time. Given its prominent location downtown, COSI needs to utilize its outside space and the river much more than it currently does with additional educational exhibits, at least during the summer months.

I wonder how seaworthy [riverworthy?] the Santa Maria is. Would there be any possibility of offering short trips along the downtown riverfront? I imagine that this was discussed and/or dismissed when it was installed, but I haven’t paid much attention to it since it was installed (also, I just realized that was almost 20 years ago. Wow.)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

gk wrote >>

+1

Pablo
    Participant

The natural course of the river is along Civic Center Drive. If you look at the County Auditor’s site you’ll see property parcels still shown in the river on the Franklinton side. These properties were abandoned when the dam was installed. Concept #12 is interesting and there is a lot of potential but to say this is the natural course of the river is BS.

+1 to moving the Santa Maria to COSI. It would get a lot more visitors if the ship was placed in dry dock next to COSI.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Pablo wrote >>
    The natural course of the river is along Civic Center Drive. If you look at the County Auditor’s site you’ll see property parcels still shown in the river on the Franklinton side. These properties were abandoned when the dam was installed. Concept #12 is interesting and there is a lot of potential but to say this is the natural course of the river is BS.

At the meeting last night, it was mentioned that a Downtown portion of the river was dredged sometime in the 80s. Perhaps that might alter the historic flow of the river?

columbusmike
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    I don’t think that this idea and a boardwalk are mutually exclusive.

I think you’re right. This proposal only strengthens a boardwalk/riverwalk development downtown. The only issue might be finding parking in that area of downtown (since some refuse to walk more than half a block).

Pablo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>

Pablo wrote >>

At the meeting last night, it was mentioned that a Downtown portion of the river was dredged sometime in the 80s. Perhaps that might alter the historic flow of the river?

Perhaps. Was it dredged to allow for the powerboat racing that we had on the Scioto for a while? I can’t imagine it was that deep as to alter the historic flow.

columbusmike
    Participant

I really like the wide green pedestrian bridge that connects COSI to downtown. I’d really like to see a few single story buildings on it – something similar to what you see in the center of Easton (coffee shop, Discovery science store, etc).

gk wrote >>

+1

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

I especially like the landscaped pedestrian pathway/bridge with the fountain capping it off. I also noticed that they added a second pedestrian bridge just north of the split. My only concern is that the removal of the damns will take too much of the river away. Columbus is sort of geographically handicapped: no mountains, lakes, beaches. The Scioto isn’t that big to begin with. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been wanting this to happen for a while but I never imagined that it would shrink the river by that much. I just hope, if this comes to fruition, that they don’t miscalculate too much and we end up with a creek. If we get what the rendering shows us, it would be awesome. I can’t think of any other cities that have that type and amount of park space along a downtown river. It’s got that unique factor. It’s B-e-a-utiful.

colrex7

jpizzow wrote >>
    I especially like the landscaped pedestrian pathway/bridge with the fountain capping it off. I also noticed that they added a second pedestrian bridge just north of the split. My only concern is that the removal of the damns will take too much of the river away. Columbus is sort of geographically handicapped: no mountains, lakes, beaches. The Scioto isn’t that big to begin with. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been wanting this to happen for a while but I never imagined that it would shrink the river by that much. I just hope, if this comes to fruition, that they don’t miscalculate too much and we end up with a creek. If we get what the rendering shows us, it would be awesome. I can’t think of any other cities that have that type and amount of park space along a downtown river. It’s got that unique factor. It’s B-e-a-utiful.

I totally agree with this. I mean…at least we would still have a bigger river than Phoenix. ;)

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Well, you only have a certain amount of flow, so there’s a tradeoff – if you want it to look big, then it will also be slow and mucky and stagnant, as it is now. If you can get over size issues, you can have a fresher and more variable stream.

dsigner
    Participant

I think some commercial use along the riverspace would be nice and draw more people but I’m not looking for a San Antonio type experience. I think a handful of restaurants / bars would be good. What Chicago has done along their lakefront might be good inspiration (seasonal restaurants that do serve alcohol) or the restaurant in Chicago’s Millenium Park. A deliniated spot on the Franklinton side could be good for commercial use to spur more economic activity over there.

jackoh
    Participant

alexs wrote >>
    Well, you only have a certain amount of flow, so there’s a tradeoff – if you want it to look big, then it will also be slow and mucky and stagnant, as it is now. If you can get over size issues, you can have a fresher and more variable stream.

Just out of curiosity: what would happen if the Griggs, O’Shaugnessy, and Greenlawn dams were eliminated also?

I am curious how the Scioto Mile works into this plan; would it then need to be moved closer to the riverfront, no longer used, or embedded with the new plan? Could end up being a waste of resources, I like the idea of getting rid of the damns, but an idea with a lack of planning means we get no where. I certainly don’t mean to be negative about the idea but feel some strong reasoning needs to be displayed for the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 295 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: