Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

This topic contains 294 replies, has 88 voices, and was last updated by MichaelC MichaelC 2 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 295 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I gotta say… the new riverfront is pretty damn impressive. Of course, it doesn’t hurt when you end up with a sunny 63 degree day in mid-November, but there were probably several thousand people who strolled the new park space today… on foot, on bikes, with kids, with dogs… it was pretty busy all up and down. We took our own kids for bike rides, starting at North Bank, making our way south along the Downtown side of the river to the Main Street Bridge, over the river and back to Broad along COSI, then crossing back again back to North Bank.

The rolling hills throughout are great to keep the walk and ride interesting without ever being too much of an incline for those who have difficulty walking. The multiple levels provided different viewpoints and experiences all throughout, and having stops along the way created many chances to stop and experience artwork, vistas, and opportunities to chat with friends and strangers alike.

Only a few minor details that need to be changed:

• Bathrooms – This was pretty important being out with small children, and I know some work is already under way to remedy this. I believe the only public restrooms along the strip currently open are the ones at Bicentennial Park. The ones at Genoa Park I believe are under renovation. Would be nice to have some closer to North Bank. We ended up going out of our way to go inside COSI to use restrooms (we’re members!) which wasn’t optimal, but better than nothing.

• Vendors — The larger walkway on the east bank of the river across from COSI could easily accommodate a couple of small carts selling anything and everything from ice cream to bottled water to balloon animals. This new space already feels very cosmopolitan, so the only thing missing is a bit of a festive interaction. Anne said J-Pops in particular would have been great to see there today, and she also wanted to see someone selling kites to fly! Of course, these kinds of things may already be in mind for next summer, without realizing in advance that today was going to be so beautiful to warrant a November popsicle stand. ;)

Honestly, as nice as it was today, I can’t wait to see how the space is utilized next summer once the Bicentennial Park fountains are back on, once outdoor music events returns to Genoa Park, and especially how busy the grassy slopes will be during 2016’s Arts Fest, Red White and Boom and other big events.

Here’s a quick shot I took of the new walkway looking south from Broad Street. Hard to capture how many people were roaming the entire length in just one shot since there were many more on the other sides of the river, and behind me north of Broad as well… but nonetheless a nice new view that I think will be highly photographed next year…

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

To echo your enthusiasm, my wife and I ran through here twice over the weekend (on separate days–we’re super slow), and the paths were packed both times. Everyone involved did a really tremendous job creating a functional, beautiful park to our downtown, that everyone will be able to utilize and enjoy.

Walker, a few years back you floated the idea of Columbus building an urban beach. This may not have been precisely what you had in mind, but I think it will function as one over the course of the summer months–during festivals and not.

I agree with all of your suggestions above, but wanted to add that in addition to temporary vendors, permanent spots are hopefully going to join the fray to accompany Milestone. The downtown side is mostly governmental buildings that aren’t going to engage the riverfront, but the old Columbia Gas building still has such potential to be turned into something that adds to the new parkspace, and on the other side of the river, I hope we see someone utilize the proposed downtown zoo space in a unique way.

The only other piece I’d add is that it will be fun to see how public art complements this new public space over time.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Walker, a few years back you floated the idea of Columbus building an urban beach. This may not have been precisely what you had in mind, but I think it will function as one over the course of the summer months–during festivals and not.

Yeah, I was thinking about actual sand, but something like that could still be incorporated at some point along the riverwalk. ;)

https://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/faux-urban-beaches

joev
    Participant

As of last week, Columbus now has a better waterfront than Cleveland. This is an excellent addition, a true generational gift to the future of this city.

JAL
    Participant

I definitely agree on the restroom idea. I think having permanent restrooms (with running water) that would be open to the public during daylight hours near the Northbank pavilion would be a perfect location.

Mike88
    Participant

I definitely agree on the restroom idea. I think having permanent restrooms (with running water) that would be open to the public during daylight hours near the Northbank pavilion would be a perfect location.

This doesn’t include the running water aspect, but once installed is supremely cheap for the city. But in Amsterdam there are little public Urinals like this scattered around the city and are open 24/7. They require no electricity, no running water and very minimal maintenance.

I get the feeling people would act all uptight around here about them, but damn are they convenient when I go over there to visit my sister…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Frank Zappa:

The girls are all salty
    and the boys are all sweet.
    The food ain’t too shabby
    and they piss in the street,
    in France, way down in France

Steve
    Steve
    Participant

Man, I wish this had been completed before this picture was taken…(look at that riiiiiverrrrrrr)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Man, I wish this had been completed before this picture was taken…(look at that riiiiiverrrrrrr)

Be prepared to notice the use of outdated skyline photos for years and years to come. ;)

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stephentszuter wrote:</div>

Be prepared to notice the use of outdated skyline photos for years and years to come. ;)

Ha! I noticed the other day that Channel 4, during the morning weather segments, uses a backdrop that still has the old Town St. bridge in it! It’d be nice if our local media could at least be within the decade

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Hah, I’m guilty of that on my website, the shot is from 2005 – taken from a canoe BTW. But until recently, a newer pic would look like a construction site.

That was cool, paddling through the heart of downtown.

Attachments:

jtwill84
    Participant

Looks like they’ve already installed the lighting elements on the COSI steps…noticed them testing at least one row out just a few minutes ago!

Attachments:
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

The restrooms at Bicentennial Park were open this past weekend.

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Looks like they’ve already installed the lighting elements on the COSI steps…noticed them testing at least one row out just a few minutes ago!

It’s neat to see them lit up. I saw them installed and it’s just a little light strip under glass installed in the ground in front of the stairs. Hard to believe they’re that bright. Must be blinding if you’re actually on the stairs.

ohbr
    Participant

I wonder if they’re still testing. I was just driving by 670 and saw bright flashing from downtown in the fog and for the life of me, couldn’t figure out what would be so bright in the fog and low. My money’s on this and that’s impressive.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 295 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: