Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development The Scioto Greenways Riverfront Redevelopment

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 295 total)
  • Author

Analogue Kid
    Participant

They installed a new fountain today by the Main Street bridge; the workers were very pleased with it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Josh_W
    Participant

:roflcopter:

JAL
    Participant

I heard that the hours on this fountain will be 24 hours to catch those afterhours Bicentennial Park kids whose parents complained that 7:30 was too early to end interactive play. Mud play and slip & slide to the river is a plus.

News
    Participant

Photos: Scioto Greenways Project Transforms Downtown Riverfront
    November 10, 2015 9:46 am – Walker Evans

After two years of ongoing construction, today marks the official completion of the $36 million Scioto Greenways project in Downtown Columbus. With the removal of the Main Street Dam, the Scioto River has been narrowed through Downtown, returning the river to a cleaner natural flow, and allowing 33 acres of new greenspace to be planted and landscaped through the heart of the city.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/downtown-riverfront

Ned23
    Participant

I heard that the hours on this fountain will be 24 hours to catch those afterhours Bicentennial Park kids whose parents complained that 7:30 was too early to end interactive play. Mud play and slip & slide to the river is a plus.

Unfortunately, one of the kids pooped his pants and they had to close the fountain early.

News
    Participant

Interview: Guy Worley on the Grand Opening of the Scioto Greenways
    November 10, 2015 9:57 am – Brent Warren

In April of 2010, Guy Worley, President and CEO of the Columbus Downtown Development Corporation, sat down with Columbus Underground to discuss the future of downtown Columbus. At that time, the Scioto Mile was under construction and the first public meetings to gather ideas for the 2010 Downtown Columbus Strategic Plan were just getting underway.

READ MORE: http://www.columbusunderground.com/interview-guy-worley-on-the-grand-opening-of-the-scioto-greenways

smegs
    smegs
    Participant

Grand Opening Tuesday, November 10th, 3:30 to 6:30pm!

Scioto Greenways Grand Opening
    Tuesday, November 10, 3:30pm to 6:30pm

Join the Columbus Downtown Development Corporation on Tuesday, November 10 at 3:30 pm for the grand opening of the Scioto Greenways, and experience our new Downtown riverfront.

Come down to the Lower River Walk of the Scioto Greenways to experience the Scioto River in a brand new way. Enjoy family-friendly activities including canoe and kayak rides, face painting, caricature artists and more! The event will conclude with fireworks at 6:30 pm. The activities will take place on the Lower River Walk of the Scioto Greenways, located off of Civic Center Drive between Town & Broad Streets, just west of the Ohio Supreme Court Building (see map below).

Full List of Activities:

Canoe and kayak rides, led by Hero (**see requirements below)
    Face painting
    Caricature artist
    Live music
    Balloon artist
    Strolling entertainment
    Friends of the Lower Olentangy Watershed + Olentangy Paddle activity
    CoGo, offering free day-pass ride vouchers
    Franklin Soil & Water Conservation District activity
    Fireworks at 6:30pm
    Plus, you won’t want to miss a special exhibition on the river by the Ohio State Crew Club from 3:45 – 4:45 pm, in addition to Paddle Boarding and Paddle Board Yoga thanks to Columbus Kayak and Seven Studios.

**Planning on taking a Canoe or Kayak ride with HERO?

Things to remember:
    Dress accordingly. It will probably be in the 40s by 3:30 pm on Tuesday, November 10th with an estimated high of 53 degrees.

1) Please do not wear flip flops (to reduce the risk of foot injuries). Water shoes or shoes with good foot protection are recommended.
    2) Wear your PFD/life vest at all times. This means zipped and fastened at all times. Our group instructors will be re-enforcing this as needed.
    3) Wear layers, shedding is a better option than to wish you had more clothing.
    4) Avoid cotton if possible.
    5) No pets allowed on this trip.
    6) Be courteous on the river.
    7) Come ready to learn something, exercise, get active and have FUN!

Things to bring:
    1) Dry Bag to keep your personal belongings in, if you own one. We have a few we can provide on a first come first serve basis…(optional)
    2) Bring a change of clothes and a towel to leave in your vehicle (just in case)

Boats, paddles, personal floatation devices (PFDs)/life vests and safety instruction will be provided by Hero USA.

See you on the river!

Parking

Convenient parking can be found at the River South Parking Garage, located at 232 S. Front St, for a flat rate of $1 from 3 – 7 pm. More information about parking can be found here: https://www.lazparking.com/local/columbus-oh/riversouth-garage

Make an Evening of It

Right next door along the Scioto Mile, Milestone 229 will be open until 10 pm offering their delicious dinner menu, plus select drink specials to celebrate the opening of the Greenways.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

I haven’t updated the album in a couple years but was taking progress shots in the early days of the project – http://s31.photobucket.com/user/jpunkster/library/River%20progress – if anyone wants a quick point of reference.
    What an incredible difference!

MichaelC
    MichaelC
    Participant

Such a great new asset for our city. Can hardly wait to utilize it.

Well done, Columbus.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

2) Bring a change of clothes and a towel to leave in your vehicle (just in case)

DavidR
    Participant

I know that there has been talk off and on over the years (mostly being mocked) about a large scale art piece or monument of some sort. Has there been any further talk of that now that the park is completed?

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

Besides the deer scattered about, this is the only announcement I’ve heard to-date:

Pretty slick new visual element for the riverfront, not too impressed with the big ‘Merica example they highlight in the article but another example gives does better job showing the effect.

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2015/03/26/first-look-led-light-display-coming-to-scioto.html?ana=twt

The lights can be programmed to display different colors, designs and even animations that could be part of the many events held along the riverfront such as Red White & Boom, Columbus Recreation and Parks Department Director Alan McKnight told commission members.

genoa park riverfront

Mike88
    Participant

I know that there has been talk off and on over the years (mostly being mocked) about a large scale art piece or monument of some sort. Has there been any further talk of that now that the park is completed?

I would love to see something like this down in the new park space.

This is the state capital and I think we should have monuments scattered through the town commemorating the achievements of great Ohioans.

It is a travesty that in a state that was home to the Wright Brothers, Neil Armstrong, John Glenn, Jerrie Mock, and Eddie Rickenbacker there is no great aviators memorial.

DavidR
    Participant

I love the concept for the stairs, I can’t wait to see how they utilize it once it’s done.

This was the original “concept” that I remembered hearing about, much to the angst of many.

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=982.210

Certainly I hope something aesthetically different or more symbolic can happen someday.

Nancy H
    Participant

I absolutely love what has happened with the Scioto Greenway project. As much as I like Mike88’s ideas, I would much prefer just green space. A bit of chlorophyll among the concrete is needed in an urban environment. It doesn’t need embellishments.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 295 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: